cold weather puffy pants, which ones to check out?

freebird

WKR
Have already made up my mind on getting a kifaru lost park parka, now I just need to find a pair of warm pants that won't break the bank.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Have already made up my mind on getting a kifaru lost park parka, now I just need to find a pair of warm pants that won't break the bank.

First lite uncompahgre would be my choice as far as hunting brands go .
Sitka kelvin lite is also an option, a little heavier than the uncompahgre though.
Kuiu ultra down pants and Kenai pants are about half the weight but they have a much flimsier face fabric so they’re a lot more fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I was trying to find a good deal on lightweight puffy pants from a hiking company but was having trouble deciding what would work for the situations I'd use them in.

Do you plan to just glass in them or hiking at times??

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve owned the kelvin (not the lite), kenai and still have the sd. None are durable as a stand-alone pant, a slight edge to the kelvin. I just assume wearing rain pants over them if I’m worried about it. The kenai was designed as a mid to go under your regular pants so I wouldn’t put them in quite the same category.

I’m surprised at the sd warmth for how thin and light they are. Absolutely blows away the kelvin for warmth to weight ratio. Kelvin is a bit warmer and durable though. At half the weight, half the pack size and 70% of the warmth I felt the sd was the keeper. I’m in a pretty dry climate too so not too worried about the down getting wet. One negative for the sd is they are too long. I have a 34 inseam and they just about drag even with boots on. Kelvin was just right stopping at the top of my ankle bone.

I liked the kenai except for having to drop my pants to add or remove them. They could be worn over but lost effectiveness.

Don’t know what your budget is but I would expect to pay around 40- 65% of new if buying a used hunting brand.

bigbaddad71

Lil-Rokslider
Glassing and some hiking
I have the Uncompaghre pants and they are excellent. For glassing I just zip them over and if I'm going to have to bust brush I put them on under my Corrugate pants. Top not h kit.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
goose feet will make you a pair as you like them. Not cheap. But any size, zippers, no zippers, little bit of down or stuffed to as much as you want

amp713

WKR
I’ve owned the kelvin (not the lite), kenai and still have the sd. None are durable as a stand-alone pant, a slight edge to the kelvin. I just assume wearing rain pants over them if I’m worried about it. The kenai was designed as a mid to go under your regular pants so I wouldn’t put them in quite the same category.

I’m surprised at the sd warmth for how thin and light they are. Absolutely blows away the kelvin for warmth to weight ratio. Kelvin is a bit warmer and durable though. At half the weight, half the pack size and 70% of the warmth I felt the sd was the keeper. I’m in a pretty dry climate too so not too worried about the down getting wet. One negative for the sd is they are too long. I have a 34 inseam and they just about drag even with boots on. Kelvin was just right stopping at the top of my ankle bone.

I liked the kenai except for having to drop my pants to add or remove them. They could be worn over but lost effectiveness.

Don’t know what your budget is but I would expect to pay around 40- 65% of new if buying a used hunting brand.

What is "SD"??

OP
freebird

freebird

WKR
Wow...everyone has gave me so much info....thank you all so much. Ya too bad kifaru didn't make a Lost park pant.....I think that would be a home run.

How loud are the uncompahgres? Is the outer material like little kids snowpants, or like the exterior of the sanctuary/woodbury stuff? Could you wear them in a treestand?