Kuiu Attack Pro Pants

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
So I received my newest Kuiu catalog last night and noticed they are releasing a new version of the Attack pants in early July. I own a pair of Attack pants and love them. However, I did start looking at the Corrugate pants for my next pair. This was due to the Attack pants not being very waterproof and having significant picking/pilling after a few hunts. This new Pro pant looks to address the picking issue and waterproof issue.... Now I am stuck. I was getting ready to order new pants and now I want to wait in order to see reviews on these new Attack Pro pants.

Does anyone know of any reviews or experience with these new pants?

No experience but give me attack pants over corrugates any day. Breath better, stitching doesn't come apart, and quieter.

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
Ill stick with my alpines, always have preferred the material over the attacks. The attacks are too hot. I will wear gators to wick the dew and if it is raining ill throw on some rain gear... never had an issue.

The one thing I want form Kuiu is a damn waterproof/resistant butt!!

I’m nervous that their “July” release date will turn into “December.” This has happened to me twice with their newer offerings... I really like Kuiu’s gear, but I would be hesitant to trust their “available” dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw these. I like my attacks. Think these would be a nice upgrade. Unless I misread I think the alpine is going to have a DWR this year. I owned a pair briefly and liked them but froze my ass off the first time I wore them in freezing rain.

Wish they made solids in these pants.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried the FL Corrugated pants a couple years ago. The amount of burrs and other brush that stuck to them were unreal. I wouldn’t use the again just for that reason.

Attack pants for me.

nazca

FNG
I'm definitely NOT a Kuiu fan boy, but I think their pants are the best available right now. I own the FL Corrugate and really dislike everything about them. They are less breathable than even the Kuiu Chinook (which is saying something, since the Chinooks are for much colder weather). The Corrugate material is heavy & overly stretchy. When the corrugates get wet, they hold more water than the Kuiu's and they stay wet for longer. I haven't really noticed that corrugate DWR is particularly effective - every time that I can remember being in wet-ish conditions with them, they have gotten soaked. I dislike the cut of the pant as well.

I can't speak to the durability differences between them, since I haven't spent nearly as many days in the Corrugates. But I would expect the corrugate material to last longer. Kuiu pants definitely are not built to last forever. That's pretty much my only knock against them.

NYSKIER

WKR
Haven't heard about these I'll have to give them a look. If anyone gets some information on these (ex someone got to use them for a trial) please post it to the thread I'd be interesting to hear about them. I've got the originals and I'm definitely a fan. I would however like to see some extra protection in the knees

Nuke Man

WKR
Haven't heard about these I'll have to give them a look. If anyone gets some information on these (ex someone got to use them for a trial) please post it to the thread I'd be interesting to hear about them. I've got the originals and I'm definitely a fan. I would however like to see some extra protection in the knees

Well then your in luck. The Attack Pro's have built in knee pads!

OP
HoytHunter24

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking elsewhere due to the longevity of the Attacks in thick brush. But since they are saying they are addressing this, i am intrigued. I wear these from September-December. They work well for me in early season with the vented hips and pockets and keep me warm enough with a base layer in december. Hoping these new pants will improve on the couple items i had concerns about.

bates

WKR
These are Hott of the delivery truck

But they changed the fit on these for sure

I’ve always not been in love with the kuiu fit felt they always ran big

These for sure have a better fit. Not as soft inside as the attacks and do seem to have a tighter knit face. Should be more durable than the attacks.

I’ll compare to the Sitka mtn pant later

But so far I initially like them

Last edited:
Bates, What kuiu pants have you felt ran big? They do have two distinct fits across their pant line but in my experience the Tiburon, Attack, Chinook and Guide all fit pretty true to size and match your waist measurement with a cloth tape pulled as tight as you would wear your pants, allowing room for layering according to the pants intended seasonal use. The Alpine and Teton run about a full 2" big in the waist using the same measurement.

bates

WKR
Bates, What kuiu pants have you felt ran big? They do have two distinct fits across their pant line but in my experience the Tiburon, Attack, Chinook and Guide all fit pretty true to size and match your waist measurement with a cloth tape pulled as tight as you would wear your pants, allowing room for layering according to the pants intended seasonal use. The Alpine and Teton run about a full 2" big in the waist using the same measurement.

Dover, i have really felt all my Kuiu pants except my Tiburon have ran big. or at least fit different than other pants i own.

i havent taken the time to measure them, i just know that i can take my 36inch guides, chinooks or attacks, fasten them and slide them down to my knees without un-buttoning the pant

i want to say a 34inch guide or chinook pant will work for me, but i know i tried a 34inch attack and it fit fine in the waist but tight in the legs and then felt a 36 was too big.

these pro pants just fit so much better than any other kuiu pant ive tried. i also tried the alpines and agree they were the worse for me, way off and the knee pads didnt work for me either. these pro knee pads seem improved as well

i also like the bottom part, i have a shorter inseam and felt in the past they ran long, now with taper, its a better fit, less material

hard to put into words to describe accurately but to me its improved and i am very happy with the pants

ericF

WKR
Just to throw my 2 cents in too, I got a pair of the Pro pants in on Tuesday. I briefly tried them on, but haven't compared them side by side with my other size 34 Attack or Guide Pants, but they did seem to feel a little smaller. Granted, it has been since last November when I wore the other two and I might be a couple pounds heavier, but I don't think that accounts for everything. I'll try to get all three on soon and see if I still think there is a difference.

boom

WKR
i have a meeting in Sacramento coming up. i see a detour in my future.

my Attack pants look a cat got to them...and that cat's name is ARIZONA. Arizona is a scratchy-pokey thing.

PNW22

FNG
So I received my newest Kuiu catalog last night and noticed they are releasing a new version of the Attack pants in early July. I own a pair of Attack pants and love them. However, I did start looking at the Corrugate pants for my next pair. This was due to the Attack pants not being very waterproof and having significant picking/pilling after a few hunts. This new Pro pant looks to address the picking issue and waterproof issue.... Now I am stuck. I was getting ready to order new pants and now I want to wait in order to see reviews on these new Attack Pro pants.

Does anyone know of any reviews or experience with these new pants?

So I was dealing with the pilling and picking issue with the attack pant, and was very displeased. Like the rest of my experiences with Kuiu CS, they willingly sent me a return label to send them back for a full refund. I am upgrading to the pro pant as we speak, and the rep I spoke with guaranteed these pants will be as tough, if not tougher than the alpine/chinook, with the same fit and comfort as the attack. If that is the case, this will hands down be the best pant on the market in my opinion. I think FL makes some solid gear, and is the only other company that shares some of the ultralight shine when it comes to clothing. However, I have seen a lot of FL gear in the field tear, and fail holding up against wet conditions. I strictly give FL the upper hand for merino base layers, but after that, I am a kuiu guy. And when it comes to durable, I haven't found tougher than SKRE. Unfortunately, SKRE weighs quite a bit more, and it seems like they are tailoring their new cuts to compete with lighter gear, but I have yet to find outer layers that stand up to tough country like SKRE. I am hoping the Pro Pant eliminates the stupid pilling issue, because I don't want to have to keep cutting and burning the ends to seal the threads, especially for a $180 pant.

I will update after a solid field test, but I am in the same boat as you as far as finding the perfect lightweight, yet durable pant.

I'm curious about the knee pads.. they say 34" inseam, I'm closer to 31. Would the pads be hanging down on my shins?

Baker7

FNG
They are a good fit for me (32x32) maybe a touch small. Knee pads in good position but NOISY. Won’t work for me as I guide too many spot and stalk hunters

Got mine last week, random thoughts below.

I don't think the knee pads are noisy at all, unless you're going through really thick brush like willow or dogwood. I'd agree with @bates comments earlier that they don't feel as soft inside, but they feel really tightly knit almost like the guide coat material, but not bulky at all. I actually think they feel better inside, personally.

I typically wear a 32 in Kuiu pants, but ordered a 30 (all they had), and they fit perfect and the knee pads top out about mid knee for me, bottom out near the upper shin. The inseam seems a little shorter/tighter than on my old Attacks, but they stretch and move really well. I immediately did a hike followed by burpees and they didn't feel tight at all, even in a 30. I typically wear a 30/32 x 32 in jeans and pants for reference.

I would say overall they feel a lot more athletic cut to me. I have large (but not massive) hamstrings and quads, and they're not tight, but if my legs were much bigger I'd think they might fit too tight. They definitely seem to taper above and below the knee as well, then widen back out for the boot. It bothered me as soon as I put them on, but I honestly never noticed it again once I stepped away from the mirror.

Have yet to wash mine, so no comments on pilling. That test will come later this week and I'll post again if they do pill.

Overall from my initial week of usage I'd say they're an improvement over the Attacks, with a less baggy (maybe too athletic for some guys) fit, and a more robust feeling face on them.

Last edited: