Recommendation for a 3x puffy.

I'm not a man who hikes or hunts fast up mountains, but I do get there. I'm hoping to get in a few short backpack elk hunts this fall. I learned a lot about that style of hunting sheep hunting a few years ago.

I'm now in the market for a puffy coat. I'm a broad shouldered, broad bellied fella, with limited ground clearance.

My primary interest is saving weight over other coats I have when I need an insulation layer, still hunting, glassing, sitting, camp, etc.

I'm hoping to find one in 3x. Something along the lines of the Patagonia Down Sweater. No hood, at least a subdued or earth tone color, good zippers, 800 down, and ideally around the pound mark for weight. DWR coating is a plus I think. I might even consider a quality synthetic. Good packability a requirement too.

I know it is asking a lot. So far I've not found much fitting the bill. Rather not push past the $300 price point if I can help it. I may just have to settle for a 3x size and be happy with the product, but so far haven't located a quality product in that size, and a 2x won't cut it, I don't think.

So, I'm looking for the impossible maybe. Lol. Anyone have any suggestions

Check out First Lite ASAT pufgy at their website. 40% off.

They run a tad large so a 2XL might be fine.

I'm 6'4" 260# and everything in FL 2X fits me great. I hear their new 2018 will fit more snug/athletic cut however.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
insanelupus
Toadmeister, can you send or post a link to the FL you mentioned. I cannot seem to find out on their site. Thank you.

OP
insanelupus
I decided to go with the REI 850 Magma, size XXL in green. It is supposedly pretty full cut so we will see. It is my first foray into puffy and can do double duty on travel and in town too. There are some questions as to amount of fill, but overall for $132, I'm not sure I can go too wrong. The reviews seem pretty positive. I'm hoping it will be a good choice.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm not a man who hikes or hunts fast up mountains, but I do get there. I'm hoping to get in a few short backpack elk hunts this fall. I learned a lot about that style of hunting sheep hunting a few years ago.

I'm now in the market for a puffy coat. I'm a broad shouldered, broad bellied fella, with limited ground clearance.

My primary interest is saving weight over other coats I have when I need an insulation layer, still hunting, glassing, sitting, camp, etc.

I'm hoping to find one in 3x. Something along the lines of the Patagonia Down Sweater. No hood, at least a subdued or earth tone color, good zippers, 800 down, and ideally around the pound mark for weight. DWR coating is a plus I think. I might even consider a quality synthetic. Good packability a requirement too.

I know it is asking a lot. So far I've not found much fitting the bill. Rather not push past the $300 price point if I can help it. I may just have to settle for a 3x size and be happy with the product, but so far haven't located a quality product in that size, and a 2x won't cut it, I don't think.

So, I'm looking for the impossible maybe. Lol. Anyone have any suggestions

Look into the kelvin down WS hoody or the Kelvin lite hoody. The kelvin down WS hoody is going to be more for glassing or when the wind is blowing super hard and its very cold out. The kelvin lite hoody is probably the best jacket for hiking around in. Its very breathable but keeps you warm at the same time. Either of those would be a great jacket to look into.