Sitka Layering for Mid September Bivy - SW Colorado

Hey Folks!

Looking for recommendations/suggestions on a system for the time specified. I have done a lot research on this topic and have decided to buy the best that I can afford. After looking around, I have decided to invest in some Sitka gear. I was thinking of running one of these two setups:

1. Core Lightweight Crew LS
Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Active Jacket
Flash Pullover

2. Core Lightweight Crew LS
Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Lite Hoody
Mountain Jacket

Will I need to bring another puffy layer that is perhaps heavier for insurance, for example a Kelvin Jacket or a Kifaru Parka, or would one of these two lighter duty puffy layers be enough? Should I stick with the Core Heavyweight Hoody as a mid layer piece or would a Traverse Zip T be a better option? Finally, should I drop the idea of running the Flash Pullover or the Mountain Jacket and instead opt for something like a Thunderhead Jacket as my sole outer layer?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Folks!

Looking for recommendations/suggestions on a system for the time specified. I have done a lot research on this topic and have decided to buy the best that I can afford. After looking around, I have decided to invest in some Sitka gear. I was thinking of running one of these two setups:

Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Active Jacket
Flash Pullover

Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Lite Hoody
Mountain Jacket

Will I need to bring another puffy layer that is perhaps heavier for insurance, for example a Kelvin Jacket or a Kifaru Parka, or would one of these two lighter duty puffy layers be enough? Should I stick with the Core Heavyweight Hoody as a mid layer piece or would a Traverse Zip T be a better option? Finally, should I drop the idea of running the Flash Pullover or the Mountain Jacket and instead opt for something like a Thunderhead Jacket as my sole outer layer?

I think either is a good setup. I hunt in Colorado and have been since I was 12. It's usually pretty hot here in Colorado specially for middle of September. The only thing I would recommend is a Sitka jet stream. It has the gore wind stopper in it and also has a DWR finish. That's always with me for windy cold mornings. I don't usually bring a rain jacket I just wear the jet stream and that keeps dry. All of my stuff for archery season is the Subalpine pattern.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I would go with option 1. I ran very similar to of that in AZ last September and it covered everything. I just wore the Ascent shirt rather than the lightweight core. I like the flash better than the Mountain jacket and the Kelvin active is a little more versatile than the kelvin light...IMO.

FlyGuy

WKR
If you are chasing elk and moving like I usually am, then I typically pair up the LS core T with a core heavy weight hoody (or fanatic hoody), or the lightweight hoody (with the built in facemask) with a heavyweight core pullover. Basically these are the same set up, I just like having a hoody on one later, but not both. If truck camping I'll rotate this combo to keep the stink factor down a hair.

Either way I'll top that combo with the jetstream vest. Very light but good wind protection and breaks up the solids IMO.

Bottoms are timberline pants with no baselayer most of the Time. Usually I can suffer through an hour or so of mid day high temps easy enough on the warm days.

I wear that exact set up 95% of the time, with rain gear in my pack if packing in, or on day hunts if rain is in the forecast.

I have the Kelvin vest and jacket but I don't pack it unless I know I will be sitting still and glassing a lot. I've never been cold enough in September to need the LPP. That Only comes out in January for me.

If it's really windy I may trade out the JS vest for the Mountain Jacket to give my arms more wind protection.

The jetstream jacket is one of my favorites, but honestly I wear it the least of all. Usually just around basecamp at night right before turning in, and early morning until the truck heater gets going good.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Hey Folks!

Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Active Jacket
Flash Pullover

Core Heavyweight Hoody
Kelvin Lite Hoody
Mountain Jacket

a good base layer a mid with a shell and a puffy should cover you in most conditions...i like your option 2

If i could make a suggestion the core lightweight and then the apex hoody...the puffy of your choice and the timberline which will block wind

if you need more help or pricing let us know...we will be glad to help

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Why would one need to use and carry the kelvin light hoodie, core heavyweight hoodie,kelvin active jacket in combinations with each other? They all serve the same purpose as insulation over the core LW LS? Do people actually wear two at a time?

Who hikes in the core heavy weight hoodie? I would be sweating to death in mid September temps.

This IMO

Core lightweight Hoodie
Core mid weight 1/4 zip
Kelvin active or kelvin lite
Timberline jacket, Jetstream or Cloudburst jacket

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
You are on the right path.
I think a combination of what you listed might be ideal

LW Core hoody and or Ascent (depending on temp).
HW Core Hoody or Traverse (depending on temp)
Mountain vest or Mountain Jacket (depending on temp)
Kelvin Lite Hoody or Kelvin Down WS Jacket (depending on temp)
Flash Rain Jacket or ThunderHead Jacket (depending on forecast)

You have to look at the weather history in the mountain range you hunt and watch the forecast right up to when you hike in. Then make the best call you can based on what you expect the temps and precipitation to be.
You are on the right track to be thinking about and planning your system.