Budget soft shell jacket

gwl79902

WKR
Jus wanted to see what you guys run as a budget soft shell. I have been saving for a sitka jetstream and may still go that way. I posted a WTB in classified to see what is out there.

I have seen cheap ones on amazon for 50 ish dollars Kings camo has one for 60 dollars
KC1 Soft Shell Hooded Jacket | King's Camo

Just not sure I want to drop the kind of money the big name brands cost. I have been hitting some used outdoor gear places and have not found anything that jumps out at me. The money I would spend on a sitka would get my a idaholicense and put in for deer, elk and antelope draw.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Take a serious look at first ascent by Eddie Bauer. Picked up a puffy for around $65 last year. 800 gr of thinsulate that’s comparable to my brothers High dollar puffy. I know they make soft shell tops and bottoms so you might check what’s available.

Greg Beck

WKR
Take a serious look at first ascent by Eddie Bauer. Picked up a puffy for around $65 last year. 800 gr of thinsulate that’s comparable to my brothers High dollar puffy. I know they make soft shell tops and bottoms so you might check what’s available.

I recently purchased the Eddie Bauer Sandstone softshell to wear around town and to work. I really like it so far. Very light and packable. Sheds moisture decently and is warm enough considering how thin and light it is. Not sure on durability but I'm going to test that this summer and fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Kuiu Teton, sometimes you can catch them on sale for $100. I am between sizes so I sized up without any negatives and it layers awesome.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I have Sitka and Kryptek mostly. But I’ve also got a soft shell from Under Armour that was on sale for less than $100 (and on Camofire for $50-$60) andnits great. Well made, light, packable and it is durable. I’ve also been very impressed with Browning Hella Canyon soft shells. They don’t get a lot of love here at Rokslide but they’re well made, light and cost is very low if you watch Camofire. I know a professional elk guide who wears various Hella Canyon items in rugged country in Montana and Colorado and they seem to hold up well.

FreeRange

WKR
Outdoor research Ferrosi is one I really like, probably a bit lighter than any of the above listed but a great jacket and if you're patient you can find them at a steep discount often.

BigHink66

FNG
MidwayUSA has a nice one with lots of features. I believe it’s called elk fork. I like mine and I believe it was $35 on sale. Lots of features and for the price cannot be beat

I have both the Ferrosi hoody and the Midway Prairie creek.

The ferrosi is simply awesome over a midweight layer. It is almost windproof and pretty water resistant. Weighs almost nothing but has zero insulating value.

The Prairie Creek is warm, windproof, really wanted resistant, but heavy. Not sure if I'd pack it in too far.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

adamm88

WKR
I bough a core4ellement one off of ebay for liek $40, it doesnt have a hood but works fine with out it.

If your looking at the cheap no name ones from china on amazon be careful on sizing, I bought a pair of paint(softshell) and ordered like xxxl and they were super tight.

I would also look around for the sylo gear ones, They sold them for like $75, it looks like that company is out of business but it may be worth a try to call black ovis(it was their company) to see if they have some. I have a pair of Sylo redding pants and they are great, its a shame it didnt workout for them because the pants i have are awsome.

adamm88

WKR
I also saw a browning hells canyon on camo fire today, I believe they are a softshell too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowke01

Lil-Rokslider
What size are you. I might have a quality option for you at a reasonable price?

I have the Sylogear jacket and pants. It doesn’t block the wind but i can put
A light puffy under it and a hoody and it’s pretty warm. I have had it for a year but haven’t been stuck in the rain yet. It holds up brush busting I would like a jet stream or similar for the wind stopper

excaliber

WKR
I bought a Russell Outdoors APX L4 Gale Jacket for really cheap a few years ago. It works great except when it's really windy but has plenty of room to layer underneath. They are pretty quiet and well made. I'm pretty impressed with it and I'd buy another one if I were able to find one for a good price.

daddie63

WKR
I really like my LL Bean softshell with windstopper. I need a tall jacket and its offered in tall. With a fleece midlayer underneath it worked really well into the teens riding around in a side by side. Cut the wind really well and has some nice features. Comfortable and warm enough but not exactly a "budget" jacket but not too bad on sale.