ASAT Highwood Hoodie and Bedrock Merino - Very Impressed

jdvanstar

WKR
Hey guys! I'm fairly new to this forum (although I've been reading through it for years) but I thought it'd be worth sharing my experience with ASAT's gear - especially since I haven't been able to find much info from people with actual experience with these new garments.

I've owned systems from some of the top gear makers (FL and Sitka) and had great experiences with both. However, I love trying new things and had to give ASAT a shot... and I have to say that I'm very impressed.

The Highwood Hoodie is going to be one of my favorite pieces - it fits me perfectly (I'm 5'10" and 155# and went with the medium) and is super comfortable. I tend to have longer than average arms and hate it when my gear runs up my wrist. No problem with that here. I've also found it to be really warm and pretty waterproof - I haven't hunted with it yet but have been wearing it all over the place - it's been raining a ton here in MI and it's been great for keeping me dry, which is fairly suriprising.

I was fairly nervous about the Bedrock merino stuff - i hadn't read much about this stuff and I've had some bad experiences with merino. I'm sure lots of you guys know how itchy some of the lower end stuff can be. ASAT has done a really nice job in putting together a super soft and warm set of base layers. I really like the fit of the Bedrock hoodie - fits my head perfectly (sometimes I get janky hoodes that won't let my turn my head or don't cover my melon very well). ASAT did a nice job with that here.

Again, I have yet to try it out west or in the big woods but i'm extremely excited to do so. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm happy to share my experience with anyone!

Have you compared that to the Chama hoody? Wondering how a merino sweater could be waterproof....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
How is the torso length on the Merino and the Highwood? I really prefer a longer fit through the body?

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
Have you compared that to the Chama hoody? Wondering how a merino sweater could be waterproof....

I have owned both. The highwood is actually more like the Halstead fleece by First Lite (or the Core Heavyweight by Sitka). I wouldn't say that is' waterproof but it is definitely waterresistant. The Bedrock is ASAT's merino baselayer - its like a thinner chama and is definitely not waterproof.

OP
J

jdvanstar

WKR
How is the torso length on the Merino and the Highwood? I really prefer a longer fit through the body?

I was concerned about this too - I hate it when my midriff shows :) But seriously, it's the worst when wind blows up there.

The Highwood fits my torso perfectly. Fits me exactly the same way my sitka core heavyweight does, which was like 2" below the belt.

Trial153

WKR
Nice to see them steeping up their game a bit . I agree with the yellow zipper crap..i prefer things to be a bit more understated. That said i wear a lot of soilds for bowhunting anyway.