Cheap Hunting Pants

I'm one of those crazy, raised-by-country bumpkins guys who usually wears jeans hunting unless the weather is supposed to be nasty. I do understand that cotton isn't ideal, it's actually a bad deal with moisture. For someone who has no interest in Kuiu or whatever other fashionable camo clothes, what would you recommend for the cheapest good hunting pants? What material? Any places you'd look for deals?

I normally hunt in September and October, though I do some November hunting. I'd probably rather just wear a long underwear/under armour tights under the pants rather than doing a heavy, insulated pant.

Thanks much. Love this site.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
Wal-Mart sells an "outdoor" branded pair of Nylon pants made by Wrangler for 22-23 bucks. Has a Water Repellant finish and have some stretch.

Propper Clothing has some nylon pants that have been on Sierra Trading Post for $20. Not sure if they have cleared them all out or if they get them back in stock now and then.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I am totally with you. I have owned some pretty pricey camo hunting pants. For me, they didn't perform any better than a much cheaper set of nylon hiking pants. I have two pair I bought from a discount outdoor retail place here in Utah that were both about 20 bucks a piece. After three years of hard use, they seem to be indestructible, have great stretch, dry quickly, and are plenty comfy. I also recently picked up a pair of the Wrangler outdoor pants mentioned above and so far they have been great. I can't see myself coughing up big money for camo pants when I can't notice much difference in performance between good hiking pants and high end hunting pants.

super

Banned
Best bang for the buck is a relative term. How much is a $100 to you, how much is $1000
The clothing game, you definitely get what you put into it. I have camo for every season because one doesnt cut it all for me. $500 in just sub freezing outerwear but when other guys are headed home, Im taking stuff off cause Im too hot. ASAT suit for when its 95 with 1000% humidity, Russel for mid season, full rain gear.
Wait till you start into the next level of pack frames, expensive boots, packable tents... thats when you realize youre really poor.

OP
I
I like this collection of sensible, frugible guys. Thanks for the info.

Super, sorry but you drank the koolaid. None of these guys are leaving early because they aren't dressed for the weather. They just don't spend ridiculous money on fashion. That's mostly what it is.

Now spending some good money on optics and boots is another thing. It's needed there.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Not sure what “cheap” is to you, but the best value I have found by far are the prana Zion pants. You can usually find them on amazon for around $50 if you check back often. They dry very fast, stretch, are super comfortable, and fit fairly true to size. I have been blown away by the durability and they are about all I wear now. If it’s cold/snowy I just add a merino base layer and some gaiters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thanks for the suggestion Tag. My max is probably $50. Happier at a little lower.

wapitibob

WKR
costco union bay travel pant, $20. The non elastic waist are the better version.

I crossed this knee deep spot with them.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm confused what people are saying there.

Are you saying there is no difference in quality of the materials, tailoring, design, and performance between a $20 pant and a $200 pant? Or are you saying the price difference of $180 doesn't warrant the difference in quality?

Are you saying there is no difference in quality of the materials, tailoring, design, and performance between a $20 pant and a $200 pant? Or are you saying the price difference of $180 doesn't warrant the difference in quality?

For me , I’m saying I don’t have a huge bank account so id rather spend my money on optics , boots , pack , bow rather than clothes. Im sure there is a difference in materials , tailoring , design but I have to choose were i allocate my money and clothes are on the low end of the pole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Greg Beck

WKR
Eddie Bauer guide pants. $40 -$50 on sale usually. I've some durability issues but I love the pants so I keep buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
+1 can't hit em. Remember that the jeans and flannel guys has shot infinitely more animals than the modern spend a fortune on a wardrobe group.

wapitibob

WKR

My $20 Costco pants are better than my original Sitka Ascent pants in every aspect. My hunting partner has FL Corrugate, Prana Zion, and Costco UB's. I've not seen or heard of a compelling reason to switch from the Costco's.

I'm one of those older guys that has killed more Elk wearing Lee 88's and a Bob Fratzke sweater than I ever will with the new stuff. But, the new technical stuff is legit.

bozeman

WKR
Just got a pair of REI scree line for $38.......like them so far.......+1 on Wranglers as well

I also own about 6 pair of the Costco UB travel pants, and made a pair into shorts after I tore a hole in the knee, great pants, super comfortable, and $20!

rayporter

WKR
army surplus wool pants.
all they have to do is cover my butt and keep me warm and dry.
probably killed a hundred deer and half dozen elk in them.

I do have one pair of camo pants and must say they keep me hid real real well in a blaze vest.