Cheap Hunting Pants

frankrb3

WKR
Eddie Bauer guide pants. $40 -$50 on sale usually. I've some durability issues but I love the pants so I keep buying them.

I agree. Great pants when they go on sale which is often. Their durability is not the best but their warranty makes up for it. Lifetime no questions asked. Just bring in a pair that has a broken zipper, missing button or failed stitching and they will just tell you to go grab a new pair off the shelf. I really like the slate green and new fossil colors for hunting.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I do have one pair of camo pants and must say they keep me hid real real well in a blaze vest.

That right there is why I can’t justify spending an obscene amount of money on camo clothing. If I was bowhunting that would be different.

This thread has been my favorite on this forum by far and the most helpful. I just asked this question in another place and almost all the responses I got back were “go buy this or that brand for the pattern and quality”. Doesn’t really matter what pattern you have if you’re dressed like a pumpkin in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It's all about comfort, function, and quality for me. If I can get all three for $20 I'm all over it. I certainly don't need a specific "pattern", so that's always last on my list of preferences.

OP
I
I tried on a few pairs including the King's Camo pants. I determined that I like the rougher feel of cotton pants. I don't like the feel and possible noise of slick, tent-like material.

Are there nylon or polyester, quick-drying pants that feel more like cotton?

Thanks for all the responses and help.

Seth1913

Lil-Rokslider
The wranglers from Walmart are just as good as Pranas. I've yet to hunt with the wranglers but they're quiet enough for archery, denim jeans are much louder than both the Pranas and Wranglers.

OP
I
Any thoughts on a bunch of people complaining on Amazon that the Wranglers--the outdoor series--are cut really wide in the legs, especially the calves? I don't need or want skinny jeans but really baggy would be annoying.

I tried on a few pairs including the King's Camo pants. I determined that I like the rougher feel of cotton pants. I don't like the feel and possible noise of slick, tent-like material.

Yes. Under armor storm front pant is a 100% polyester pant with a DWR finish. I like them very much.

adamm88

WKR
Any thoughts on a bunch of people complaining on Amazon that the Wranglers--the outdoor series--are cut really wide in the legs, especially the calves? I don't need or want skinny jeans but really baggy would be annoying.

The pair of outdoor pants i have are closer to skinny jeans, definitely not baggy,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member

Depends on which ones. I have some that haven’t been sold in stores for a couple years. They are very baggy in the legs, especially the calves. They also don’t have stretch, has load velcro pocket closures. Great for non hunting stuff and light enough to wear hiking up to 80.

The more recent ones have zipper cargo pockets. They are quiet, stretch well. To warm over 65 degrees for long treks.

In the photo are old wrangler on bottom, Sitka timberline middle, last year wrangler on top. All 34 waist. The articulated knee on Sitka really help keep a good angle down the calf, with out it the wrangler feels weird and too skinny even though the cut is very similar from the knee down.
f9c0180efbff5b556a34d756e1c4c335.jpg

muddydogs

WKR
I'm not a big hunting clothes guy, having worked in the woods for 20 years wearing Carhartt pants, jeans or Cabela's trail hikers when they made them long enough I realize that most of the clothing post here are from gear junkys that think they need the high end stuff and need to justify the cost of the gear. The whole cotton kills myth is still being perpetuated by the same guys and I can tell you I have been in weather day in and day out that would make most people in there high end clothes want to quit and go home especially when they rip there high end clothes crashing through the brush.

Having said my rant above I did acquire a pair of Cabela's stalking pants before last season and found they stayed cool when it was warm, cut the Wyoming wind and kept me dry in the rain and snow so much so I removed my rain pants from my hunting pack. At $130 they are still a bit pricey but they should last me the rest of my hunting days as I only wear them hunting since there's no need for camo around town or during the summer scouting or hiking around.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CAB...GCKaFiYS8vTYa5V2nWhoCb9kQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
I
Fng, thanks much for the photo and description. I think I would go for the wranglers. Does the fabric feel somewhat like cotton or is it more like a slick tent fabric? Just a final check.

Could you send a link to the exact pant on Amazon? There's like four varieties from what I've seen. Some appear not to have the zip on the side.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member

Which kings pants?

It’s hard for me to justify the cost difference vs benefits of the big names but the benefits are nice. If I can put away $80 and watch the classifieds for a solid color big name brand pant I’ll wear them enough to justify the expense.

When you see something on camofire but you don’t like the pattern shown in the picture, click on it and you’ll see all the options available. I didn’t know kryptek made solid color pants until doing this recently.

OP
I
Fng, it was the King's Camo KC1 Six Pocket.

I will take a peak at those sites listed.

Could you post a link to the Wrangler's pants that you like that aren't all baggy?

It's good that you said they are a little heavier also; I'd like them to be a heavier material that's better for fall than summer. Thanks again for your help.

Update: Actually, I found the side zip wranglers on their site (out of stock) but I can't find them on Amazon. I checked my local WalMart and they didn't carry them. I think they just had the Wrangler outdoor shorts.

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Fng, it was the King's Camo KC1 Six Pocket.

I will take a peak at those sites listed.

Could you post a link to the Wrangler's pants that you like that aren't all baggy? Thanks again for your help.

I’ve never found them online, not even through wrangler. I just grabbed them from Walmart or target when they had them. If you’re a 34 waist you can have the tan (not baggy) pair from my photo. I haven’t worn that pair hardly at all. Send me a pm. If not maybe the info on the tag will help searching. Oh they are soft feeling to me.
bb7f5a8cb6ef0267c366209545bcc5d7.jpg

Photo of the fabric inside.
5636b9ed909061cf75ea097cac3025d3.jpg

OP
I
Thanks. You are going above and beyond with the help here. I'll send you a PM. I'll try another WalMart or two around here and Target for the Wranglers.

boom

WKR
I'm one of those crazy, raised-by-country bumpkins guys who usually wears jeans hunting unless the weather is supposed to be nasty. I do understand that cotton isn't ideal, it's actually a bad deal with moisture. For someone who has no interest in Kuiu or whatever other fashionable camo clothes, what would you recommend for the cheapest good hunting pants? What material? Any places you'd look for deals?

I normally hunt in September and October, though I do some November hunting. I'd probably rather just wear a long underwear/under armour tights under the pants rather than doing a heavy, insulated pant.

Thanks much. Love this site.

What size pant do you wear bud?

Carlin59

WKR
Another vote for the Eddie Bauer Guide pants. I have three pair (green for hunting, grey for summer hiking/scouting/cross country skiing, khaki for around town). I see mentions of durability issues. I've ran all three pair hard for four years, and just this spring turkey hunting put my first hole in one. Will likely test the warranty to see if they will replace, but even if they don't I would say each purchase has been well worth the cost (~$50 on sale). Definitely quiet enough for bow hunting, arrowed two mulie bucks this past fall stalking into 30 yards and they never knew i was there (despite the EB's not being fancy camo...Gasp!). Also have four pairs of the Costco Rainier's (their $20 version) for wear around town, and I wouldn't hesitate to hunt in these either. Slightly less stretch than the EB's but a solid pant none-the-less. The Costco pants only have one zippered cargo pocket (EB's have two), but both back pockets on the Costco zipper which can be nice (none of the back pockets on the EB's zip). As an aside, the Costco's are my go-to travel pants. Phone, wallet, and passport all have their own dedicated, zippered pocket to prevent theft and make the quick, "do i have everything?" check post-security line very easy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I determined that I like the rougher feel of cotton pants. I don't like the feel and possible noise of slick, tent-like material.

I also don't like the nylon style of pants for bowhunting. I have no idea why Cabela's stopped making their Microtex Lite shirts and pants. It's polyester, but it's like a super soft very thin flannel. It even feels very different from their regular Microtex which is more like jeans but still polyester. Unfortunately, they've discontinued even the regular Microtex. Wish I could find several yards of their old Lite material.

I haven't found a hunting pant that's equivalent or better than my Microtex Lite, but they're wearing thin and I need to find something.......that also comes in a 37-38" length.