Sitka Traverse Zip T or Heavyweight Core Zip T

Looking to use one of these as an outer layer for mild weather over a lightweight shirt. Wanting to hear some pros/cons of both. Thanks in advance!

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
I use my core heavy weight hoodie mostly for ice fishing.
I can't imagine hiking it in.

I tried a core mid weight mock last year for the first time on a mid November elk hunt as my base layer and overheated easily hiking around.

I would go with the Traverse.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have both. Very similar. Traverse is a little heavier, and much more abrasion resistant. It also happens to be one of my favorite pieces. I bought a second traverse over another heavyweight hoody, as the wife confinscates my traverse hoody often.

I also use this layer often as an outer layer as well as an insulating layer.

Kotaman

WKR
You’re not going to hike in either unless it’s REALLY COLD. My preference between the two is the Heavyweight hoody by a Long shot. I run hotter in the Traverse than the HW. I really have no use for the Traverse. To me the waffle design of 5he HW is much more comfortable than the Traverse.

Trial153

WKR
I like the core heavy weight better in all respects. Fit, finish and warmth per weight. It also breaths better in my opinion. The only thing it loses to the traverse is durability of the outer finish.

The traverse for me is more of layer to use for me if I am not moving much.

excaliber

WKR
I wear my Traverse Zip T when it's colder as my outer layer instead of a jacket down to freezing and slightly below. I agree it's to hot for any uphill hiking but it's perfect for still hunting as it's pretty durable. It's great for layering under my jacket while glassing when it's not real cold. I'll have a Kelvin lite hoody to wear on top of it this year when it gets really cold.

I need a Sherpa to carry all my gear.

marktole

WKR
If you're going to be in some brush or whatever that will be pulling at your clothes, definitely the traverse zip t. As others have mentioned it has a more durable outer layer.

I have the traverse zip t, haven't used it much though, and also have the core heavy weight hoodie. I have used the core heavy weight a lot. I pretty much use it as a hoodie when I stop to glass or as a base layer when its REALLY cold.

halg

Lil-Rokslider
Heavy weight core packs SLIGHTLY smaller. Traverse has Bert wind resistance.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking to use one of these as an outer layer for mild weather over a lightweight shirt. Wanting to hear some pros/cons of both. Thanks in advance!

In my personal opinion the core heavy weight Zip-T is a great base layer its great for hiking in the mornings during archery season or wearing under a Jetstream during rifle season. That's why I mostly use just because I like the feel and fit of it more than the traverse.

The traverse Zip-T is also a great layer. It is as abrasion-resistant as the core heavy weight, and is going to be a softer feel to it. I don't think I would run it for archery season because it can get a little warm, but for rifle season or even ice fishing it is a great piece to wear. It all depends if you're a warm body person or get cold easily everyone's different.

Last edited:
I returned the HW hoody and got a Traverse. Heavier and tougher and has the integrated face mask in the hood...the HW doesn't.