Gaitors for the guy with tree trunk legs....

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Having trouble finding a set of gaiters that will fit around my shins! Currently running first lite Bramblers which fit early season ( boot size 12) , but if I wear a thick sock or stuff my merino down inside the boot its game over, the velco fronts just wont wrap around. Any suggestions besides OR Crocs?

Thanks in advance to any replies

First Lite gaiters are extremely small in diameter at least when I tried to wrap them around my leg in the store. Crocs will work but are a bit noisy, I personally like the Kuiu Yukons which fit my calves well even with guide pants and merino bottoms under them. I wear a size 14 and use the XL Yukons. Calves measure 18". I'm 6' 1" with most of that height in my legs torso measures 17" and the Yukons are tall enough to get over the large part of my calf and sit nicely and don't need to be cinched down super tight.

pawater

FNG
I am using Kenetreks, I had bought the Kuiu XL's and had the same problem. Not even close to getting the Velcro to close over my boots. That was with Kuiu attack pants and Irish setter boots. I am 6'6" 280lbs. My calves measure 18" as well. I wonder if they changed? That was over a year ago I had tried them.

If they were big tall boots it could be tight. They fit over salomons, Schnees, and some Cabelas Meindl easily but are a hair tight on some insulated Meindl ultralights I can still get full Velcro coverage though. Nothing wrong with the kenetreks the camo ones are pretty quiet as well especially compared to crocs

LaHunter

WKR
I have a set of the Kenetreks and a set of the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. The Kenetreks will fit thicker calves

bsnedeker

WKR
I have a set of the Kenetreks and a set of the Kuiu Yukon gaiters. The Kenetreks will fit thicker calves

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but which one did you like better? I'm currently trying to decide between the Kenetreks and the Kuiu gaiters so I'm very interested in hearing your take.

Fatcamp

WKR
Tall people with big calves have no reason to complain. Try being 5'8" with 18" calves. :(

LaHunter

WKR
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but which one did you like better? I'm currently trying to decide between the Kenetreks and the Kuiu gaiters so I'm very interested in hearing your take.

I like both. I have used the Kenetreks on 4 hunts and used the Yukons only last year. I have been in deeper snow (mid calf) with the Kenetreks for more days vs the Yukons. I've only been in snow just over my ankle with the Yukons. Stayed dry with both. Both seem to be pretty quiet. The Yukon fabric feels like it would probably be more durable and cut/rip resistant. Like I posted earlier, the Kenetreks will fit thicker calves better than the Yukons. I will use my Yukons this year and keep my Kenetreks as backup if needed. Both are good gaiters in my opinion.

bsnedeker

WKR
I like both. I have used the Kenetreks on 4 hunts and used the Yukons only last year. I have been in deeper snow (mid calf) with the Kenetreks for more days vs the Yukons. I've only been in snow just over my ankle with the Yukons. Stayed dry with both. Both seem to be pretty quiet. The Yukon fabric feels like it would probably be more durable and cut/rip resistant. Like I posted earlier, the Kenetreks will fit thicker calves better than the Yukons. I will use my Yukons this year and keep my Kenetreks as backup if needed. Both are good gaiters in my opinion.

Thanks! I may end up going with the Kenetreks in that case...due to an old blood clot my left calf swells up significantly even with compression socks so I have a heck of a time finding comfortable gaiters that also work well.

pawater

FNG
If they were big tall boots it could be tight. They fit over salomons, Schnees, and some Cabelas Meindl easily but are a hair tight on some insulated Meindl ultralights I can still get full Velcro coverage though. Nothing wrong with the kenetreks the camo ones are pretty quiet as well especially compared to crocs

They were over tall boots, however, I thought I had tried them with my Solomons as well. My son still has a pair of Yukons, I will have to check again. I agree that the Yukons seem more durable.

I have really large calfs and the kennetreks fit well even in late season with extra layers. I also have a set of the Outdoor research and they are pretty tight with just a pair of jeans on.

OP
J

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies.... seems like I should be looking into kenetreks to try out

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Having trouble finding a set of gaiters that will fit around my shins! Currently running first lite Bramblers which fit early season ( boot size 12) , but if I wear a thick sock or stuff my merino down inside the boot its game over, the velco fronts just wont wrap around. Any suggestions besides OR Crocs?

Thanks in advance to any replies
Sitka Stormfront gaiters LXL In either subalpine or open country. They are 100% Gortex and can used and abused. I run those over really any gaiter just because I like how strong they are and they are really light weight.

I have a pair of XL Crocs that just don't fit over anything but thin layers or a single blue jean layer. I love them but they are tight. They offer a xxl but, I went with KUIU for hunting. They fit really well with thin or heavy layers due to their stretch. I haven't hunted a day in them yet but, they sure are comfortable and quiet.

264win

WKR
I am big boned and have found the kennetrek to be perfect. Most brands even in the xl are to small for me. I use kennetrek xl for normal conditions and the xl stout for cold weather with lots of layers and bulky boots