KUIU vs. Firstlite

I currently have Firstlite clothing but have been considering KUIU. I'm sure somebody here can help me out with a "review" so to speak. I like Merino wool for my gear. if any of you have run both KUIU and Firstlite Merino please tell me what you thought about both. I have my opinion about Firstlite but I'd like to hear what you have to say about both. My current pieces are starting to show some wear and tear and I'm wondering about the durability of KUIU Merino.

Shoffman

FNG
From what I have heard is first lites new gear for 2018 is supposed to be better and more durable then previous years. I'm waiting for it to come out in June. No experience in kuiu. Just not the biggest fan of there pattern colors for me in southern arizona.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I also love merino. For the most part, I wear it as a base or mid-layers where durability isn't as much of an issue. I do like FL Obsidian and Knabs pants and they have held up well as outer layers.

I like FL merino a bit more than Kuiu (admittedly I only have like 2 peices in Kuiu merino but a dozen+ in FL merino).

FL newer aerowool is more durable for washing. I have some older regular FL merino and they have some small holes in them but are soft and cozy as kittens. I won't throw them out until thy fall off :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JMF

Lil-Rokslider
I have both, in the winter I use the FL because it's full lenght and I know I won't be taking it off. I use or pack the kuiu merino 145 bottoms for fall early winter. They are easy to take on and off without taking your boots off.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kuiu 125 merino was very durable for me. Got some fuzziness but no holes. Never lost it’s shape. Somewhere on their website there’s a video about the nuyarn they use. A couple key points is “warmer for its weight” and better at recovering from stretch. Well ya that 125 was almost too warm in September during the heat of the day. It does have a starchy feel when I first put it on but I never found it itchy like many have stated. It did dry faster than a non blended merino but still far from a good synthetic.

I’ve only tried on a llano from firstlite. Their medium was a little shorter in the torso and slightly tighter fitting than my Kuiu medium.

I never bought FL merino because at the time they only had 100% merino. Despite their great reputation for wool I was extremely tired of the cost and fragile nature of the material.

Owned KUIU, own First Lite. I’ve also been using most merino brands long before I began hunting, Ice Breaker, Patagonia, Smart Wool, knock offs, big names that outsourced the merino and just embroidered it etc for skiing and mountaineering.

The KUIU stuff is too blended with some synthetic I don’t like. All of my merino from them pilled up like no ones business. Any big name manufacturer doesn’t have this happen on their blends so I was surprised. No, I don’t dry these in the dryer, just a light wash and hang dryed. Secondly, I hated the feel, I honestly thought I was wearing some weird synthetic when I put it on. Thirdly, any base layers I want an athlete fit to my skin. All of the shirts were baggy, it wouldn’t transport moisture off of me.

First Lite blends and pure merino solved all of the above for me, plus the customer service kills KUIU.

HeadnWest

WKR
I have owned both Kuiu and FL merino. I have sold all my Kuiu and kept my FL. My Kuiu had a smell to it when it got wet, or when being used throughout long sweaty days. Also the FL merino seemed to feel better against my skin. To me it is also a big plus knowing the FL gives back to some great causes like BHA, RMEF, 2% for conservation and many other groups. I know I am spending my money with a very reputable company when it comes to giving back for the good of conservation and public lands.

zimagold

FNG
Owned KUIU, own First Lite. I’ve also been using most merino brands long before I began hunting, Ice Breaker, Patagonia, Smart Wool, knock offs, big names that outsourced the merino and just embroidered it etc for skiing and mountaineering.

The KUIU stuff is too blended with some synthetic I don’t like. All of my merino from them pilled up like no ones business. Any big name manufacturer doesn’t have this happen on their blends so I was surprised. No, I don’t dry these in the dryer, just a light wash and hang dryed. Secondly, I hated the feel, I honestly thought I was wearing some weird synthetic when I put it on. Thirdly, any base layers I want an athlete fit to my skin. All of the shirts were baggy, it wouldn’t transport moisture off of me.

First Lite blends and pure merino solved all of the above for me, plus the customer service kills KUIU.
Completely agree with points above. I like my KUIU gear, but would only buy first lite aerowool for base layers if starting over.

codym

WKR
It's crazy how experiences differ. I have a bunch of kuiu merino, 125, 145, and the 210 hoody. It fits my body very well and holds form well. It doesn't smell after many days hunting and I sweat a ton. I don't have a lot of FL to compare to just a chama hoody. The fit on that piece is kind of weird. Its an XXL (I wear XXL in just about everything) and the arms are like 5 inches too long for me, I have to roll the sleeves up. It's much softer to the touch but also fuzzier than my kuiu stuff. One thing I can't figure out about my chama is the smell. I wear it to the gym and I start smelling like a wet dog an hour or so in. I will be trying out the new FL aero wool as my one complaint with merino is the dry time and i'm hoping the addition of the synthetic will help this. I sweat like crazy and it sucks to not have your base layers dry unless you take them off and hang them. May also try a kuiu synthetic but it will most likely smell more than I would like.

Mmcan

WKR
I have both. I think the FL is better. More comfortable, less itchy by far, and it just doesn't get stinky. I can't say that about the Kuiu merino as readily. It gets ripe a lot easier than the FL. So I stay away from it when its going to be a sweaty kind of a trip. LOVE LOVE LOVE the FL underwear.. Cant get enough of that stuff!

JNDEER

WKR
Opposite opinion. My FL I purchased (3 base layer shirts and two boxers)around the time Kuiu came out on the market have all been trashed due to holes. The FL boxer's lasted about 3 seasons and two shirts lasted 1 season and the last shirt went about 3 seasons. When Kuiu came out I was able to go in store to buy returned shirts cheap-so I have many more. I still have two of the first base layer shirts they came out with and have zero holes in them. As others have stated FL "new" line up was suppose to fix the hole problem-but I have heard that now for 3 years. Never had an issue with my kuiu wool. Never dealt with their CS so I have no comment.

for comparison I hunt in CA. I backpack hunt in July then either backpack hunt or trailer hunt august-October in CA. Few out of state hunts on the list (AZ, UT) during this comparison.

Are you my twin? I'm 6'4" 260lbs :)

Fl Chama is a little oddly cut. I like the arm length and thumb holes however.
It's crazy how experiences differ. I have a bunch of kuiu merino, 125, 145, and the 210 hoody. It fits my body very well and holds form well. It doesn't smell after many days hunting and I sweat a ton. I don't have a lot of FL to compare to just a chama hoody. The fit on that piece is kind of weird. Its an XXL (I wear XXL in just about everything) and the arms are like 5 inches too long for me, I have to roll the sleeves up. It's much softer to the touch but also fuzzier than my kuiu stuff. One thing I can't figure out about my chama is the smell. I wear it to the gym and I start smelling like a wet dog an hour or so in. I will be trying out the new FL aero wool as my one complaint with merino is the dry time and i'm hoping the addition of the synthetic will help this. I sweat like crazy and it sucks to not have your base layers dry unless you take them off and hang them. May also try a kuiu synthetic but it will most likely smell more than I would like.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve ran kuiu pure merino and ultra merino in the 145 weight, as well as first lite so can speak directly to this.

The ultra merino is surely a less cozy feel, but it also performs a hell of a lot better than their first gen stuff. Both have lasted multiple years. Both can get holes.

I’d say the same about aero wool vs pure first lite merino. Last year’s aerowool feels softer in hand to me in solids, but it has that same feeling as the Nuyarn (slight scratch) in camo. And it’s tough but I can and still have put holes in it.

For me, Kuiu has fit more dialed in the medium size, and it’s much more consistent to me across their line. First lite is just bigger and looser, kuiu is much more athletic. Your preference is going to vary based on your build.

Both are good products and both are advancements compared to pure merino. I’d pick whichever you like more and fits best. The companies themselves are very far apart in image. Some of that is truth and some is just noise.

SoDaky

WKR
Kuiu for hard use. Mine is near year around including months of daily use in winter predator hunting. Kuiu lasts and performs. Other,not so much.

mvmnts

WKR
First Lite has an extremely boxy cut so if you're thin or athletic at all, have fun looking like a mess. Their baselayers fit like shirts, they're not skin tight. I would not recommend. They also need to learn that you don't need everything to be merino. Merino is great for baselayers and that's about it. All of their mid and outer layer merino stuff is heavy, delicate and gets stretched out of shape very easily (see chama). I really wish smartwool would get into the camo game. I've been wearing a couple sets of their 150wt base layers for like 4 years now and they're flawless.

First Lite's new merino stuff is apparently supposed to be true to size now. Looking forward to trying some of it out. Love all of my First Lite gear and what the company stands for. I look forward to continuing not to support kuiu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
The Kuiu bashing is getting old.

I own and use both brands and you cannot go wrong with either. I have not used the newest First Lite Aerowool but own several pieces of the Llano, chama, and whatever the bottoms are. They have been great but, I prefer the Kuiu merino though. I was not a fan of the first generation Kuiu merino but the newer stuff with the nuyarn (125 SS, 145 LS, 145 bottoms) has been great. It breathes well, drys quick, has been durable, and fits me well (5'10" 185 wearing a size L). I'd give a slight edge to the Kuiu stuff. Hope this helps

At the end of the day as you can see from this thread with multiple points of view, and this can be said for just about any piece of gear, is that you really just need to make the decision for yourself. What works for me may not work for you because as put by mvmnts...

First Lite has an extremely boxy cut so if you're thin or athletic at all, have fun looking like a mess. Their baselayers fit like shirts, they're not skin tight. I would not recommend.

I couldn't agree less as I have the complete opposite to say! KUIU feels like a terrible boxy cut and First Lite feels like an extremely good athletic fit.

HeadnWest

WKR
The Kuiu bashing is getting old.

I own and use both brands and you cannot go wrong with either. I have not used the newest First Lite Aerowool but own several pieces of the Llano, chama, and whatever the bottoms are. They have been great but, I prefer the Kuiu merino though. I was not a fan of the first generation Kuiu merino but the newer stuff with the nuyarn (125 SS, 145 LS, 145 bottoms) has been great. It breathes well, drys quick, has been durable, and fits me well (5'10" 185 wearing a size L). I'd give a slight edge to the Kuiu stuff. Hope this helps

Not sure there has been any Kuiu bashing on this thread, just some honest opinions in favor of both brands. Which is what the OP was looking for.