Best puffy in a budget?

Looking for a good puffy, would prefer a hood. Doesn’t need to be camo. I ordered one from midway and it was just too light. Want something for strictly glassing when it is cold. 10*-30*. What’s the best you have found for under $100

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looking for a good puffy, would prefer a hood. Doesn’t need to be camo. I ordered one from midway and it was just too light. Want something for strictly glassing when it is cold. 10*-30*. What’s the best you have found for under $100

Ecwcs parka. Bought mine from midway for about $50. Definitely not for backpacking but I think it will be fine for long day hunts. Blocks the wind very well. Keeps me toasty over mid weight fleece at 10*.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking at the Uniqlo ultralight down seamless parka as a budget lightweight puffy. Don't own it, but you can find reviews here and there. Used to be called the Water Defender down or something like that. $70 with a hood and a DWR finish.

bsnedeker

WKR
I picked up a REI house brand puffy jacket for like $85 a few years ago that fits what you are looking for. Probably going to see them on sale right about now too since they're out of season. They've got a tan, almost camo-like one for $68 right now in fact. REI Co-op Down Jacket - Men's at REI

I do NOT want to start a thing at all, but just an FYI in case you missed it: REI is proudly anti-2nd Amendment and are also (unofficially at least) anti-hunting. I cancelled my membership and won't support them with my dollars for this reason.

Trial153

WKR
I do NOT want to start a thing at all, but just an FYI in case you missed it: REI is proudly anti-2nd Amendment and are also (unofficially at least) anti-hunting. I cancelled my membership and won't support them with my dollars for this reason.

For not wanting to start a thing you did a good job on your post starting a thing.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider

I get that, and I understand the sentiment. Maybe it's allowing the other side to 'win' but as a matter of convenience, or in this case budget, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and shop at places that you disagree with. I applaud anyone who can consistently vote with their dollars but the list of anti-gun businesses is enormous, particularly where I live in the Chicago area, and at a certain point it's just simply unavoidable.

Report: Here Are 54 Anti-Gun Companies That Don’t Deserve Your Business – Concealed Nation

Comcast is my only viable option for home internet, if I want to go out to a movie with my wife there are few choices for theaters that aren't AMC, Regal or ArcLight (not even on that list, but I know they are anti-2A given the no-ccw stickers plastered everywhere), we shop at Costco because we'd be throwing away money if we didn't and there isn't a Sam's Club local anymore, the list goes on.

That said, I am very happy with my thousand plus dollars worth of First Lite (I own two Uncompahgre puffys) and Sitka gear and recommend them highly. Hopefully my money spent there, and other pro-2A and pro-hunting businesses, donations to BHA, RMEF, NWTF and other orgs evens out the balance.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I get that, and I understand the sentiment. Maybe it's allowing the other side to 'win' but as a matter of convenience, or in this case budget, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and shop at places that you disagree with. I applaud anyone who can consistently vote with their dollars but the list of anti-gun businesses is enormous, particularly where I live in the Chicago area, and at a certain point it's just simply unavoidable.

Report: Here Are 54 Anti-Gun Companies That Don’t Deserve Your Business – Concealed Nation

Comcast is my only viable option for home internet, if I want to go out to a movie with my wife there are few choices for theaters that aren't AMC, Regal or ArcLight (not even on that list, but I know they are anti-2A given the no-ccw stickers plastered everywhere), we shop at Costco because we'd be throwing away money if we didn't and there isn't a Sam's Club local anymore, the list goes on.

That said, I am very happy with my thousand plus dollars worth of First Lite (I own two Uncompahgre puffys) and Sitka gear and recommend them highly. Hopefully my money spent there, and other pro-2A and pro-hunting businesses, donations to BHA, RMEF, NWTF and other orgs evens out the balance.

Yeah, I don't even think it's possible to be 100% consistent in this day and age. I struggle with financial institutions since CTI and BoA are also anti-2A...hard to avoid them. With outdoor retailers I find it a little easier since there are SO many great companies to support. I don't think I'll have any issues not shopping at REI and Dick's sporting goods personally, but every person needs to weigh the pros and cons on their own of course.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
Eddie Bauer has a few puffy jackets that would meet your budget if you wait for one of the frequent sales. A few come in an old school camo pattern but I don't think the camo is an option on the hooded jackets.

twall13

WKR
The Kryptek Lykos II is on sale right now in your price range. I don't know that it will quite get you down to 10* for glassing but it's a solid puffy with a hood at the sale price.

COSTCO has down vests and jackets every fall (not in stock now), $25 and $50 respectively in Canadian stores. I like mine very well...no hoods or camo though. Worth buying as they come with stuff sacks, zippered pockets and are well built...4 years on my vest, one on my jacket with no complaints.

COSTCO has down vests and jackets every fall (not in stock now), $25 and $50 respectively in Canadian stores. I like mine very well...no hoods or camo though. Worth buying as they come with stuff sacks, zippered pockets and are well built...4 years on my vest, one on my jacket with no complaints.

The Costco puffy is nice for walking in at reasonable temps but would never keep you warm glassing at 30 even. I’m also on the lookout for a warmer puffy after getting the Costco one already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 10oz REI CO-OP jacket is great, ever better IMO is the 10.8oz REI CO-OP Magma. Close to the Ghost Whisperer, at less than half the price.

The Costco puffy is nice for walking in at reasonable temps but would never keep you warm glassing at 30 even. I’m also on the lookout for a warmer puffy after getting the Costco one already

I wore mine in the Arctic last Feb for 9 days as a layer out on the sea ice. Was about as warm as my KUIU Super Down hooded jacket in temps down around -35*C. Wouldn't work as a stand alone at those temps but certainly is a good puffy for most fall hunting, especially combined with decent rain gear for a wind breaker and decent layers under it. Obviously some need more insulation than others and should get arctic parkas.

I wore mine in the Arctic last Feb for 9 days as a layer out on the sea ice. Was about as warm as my KUIU Super Down hooded jacket in temps down around -35*C. Wouldn't work as a stand alone at those temps but certainly is a good puffy for most fall hunting, especially combined with decent rain gear for a wind breaker and decent layers under it. Obviously some need more insulation than others and should get arctic parkas.

I’m probably more cold blooded than warm blooded that’s for sure