Best puffy in a budget?

OP
S
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will probably just check with midway and Eddie Bauer and wait for a sale. I have had good luck with both of those brands and they also come in talks. It’s not a must, but they usually fit better. What fill do you think would be best for my needs. 600 or 800?

I'm looking at the Uniqlo ultralight down seamless parka as a budget lightweight puffy. Don't own it, but you can find reviews here and there. Used to be called the Water Defender down or something like that. $70 with a hood and a DWR finish.

Everything they make is great! They donated Jackets and base layers when my home was flooded by Hurricane Sandy. My kids loved the jackets unfortunately it was too small for me. The base layers are crazy warm as a first layer and keep you cool when used in hot weather. It also feels like cotton but wicks amazingly!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will probably just check with midway and Eddie Bauer and wait for a sale. I have had good luck with both of those brands and they also come in talks. It’s not a must, but they usually fit better. What fill do you think would be best for my needs. 600 or 800?

Go for the down light vs the microtherm. The dL has more fill and a waist draw cord. I have a medium tall but a large would have saved me money and fit just fine. They charge a $30 premium for talls.

Their cirrus is 600 or 650. Nice value, I didn’t like the fit or lack of draw cord around the waist. Both the dL and microtherm are 800 and cut for mobility, layers much better too.

one of my favorite pieces of hunting clothing is a cabelas passage jacket in outfitter camo. i think they discontinued it but it's primaloft with windshear and packs to about the size of a cantaloupe. its' not the lightest option in the world but its low maintenance and i can run it through the wash/dry cycle with everything else. that thing doesn't come out of my pack from october to january unless i've got it on. if it had a hood and was a little more athletically cut it would be perfect.