Kuiu dcs guide hooded vs Kryptek vellus jackets

swampokie

WKR
Looking at adding one of these for Moderately cold temps and was wondering about any opinions on which is best. Thanks

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Between the two, I think Vellus is warmer. I like it. Quiet, wind proof, waterproof and I like the removable hood.

The guide doesn’t do well in the wind. I tried asking the same question except vellus to Jetstream probably 6 months ago when I found a deal on a vellus

excaliber

WKR
Guide jackets don't do so well in the wind. The Vellus is pretty heavy but waterproof so they are totally different animals.. Are you planning on packing these jackets in? IMHO the Vellus would be a better tree stand jacket.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So what is the guide jacket good for??? It wind, not water....I’ve gone back and forth on getting one of these but it seems like they aren’t good for anything.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Newmexican: forbwhat it is worth, I generally think Soft shells are good for adding a bit of warmth in cool, relatively dry weather with light winds. Easy jacket to put on that is light weight and more durable than a shirt or a fleece with the added protection of DWR (usually). They aren’t for every condition in my experience. Personally I like the Kryptek Dalibor and the Sitka Jetstream softshells. I have no experience with the Kuiu DCS jacket.

I like the Vellus for cold and damp conditions. It’s windproof, waterproof, quiet and quite well insulated. It’s a different animal all together.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
So what is the guide jacket good for??? It wind, not water....I’ve gone back and forth on getting one of these but it seems like they aren’t good for anything.

While moving it it’s a great balance between protection and overheating while busting brush. While not wind proof it was nice to cut high winds in warm temperatures when not cold enough for a windchill effect. Think sand or dust storm desert stuff.

It did well over their breathable insulation for stop and go situations at near freezing conditions.

I used it 4th season Colorado last year for the first time during some straight up nasty weather. 20-30 degrees pounding sleet/rain/snow mixture with some pretty good winds and it shook that stuff off like it was nothing. Now obviously I was layered up really well underneath which probably helped cut the wind, but I’ve never been more comfortable in such nasty weather. I love mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk