Sitka Gear Women's - Semi Live review!!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello everyone!

I will be testing a few pieces from the Sitka Gear Women's line this summer and fall! Tanya will also be pitching in what items she is using and we'll hopefully be able to cover a wide span of body types and help the ladies out with sizing.

I already have the Kelvin Active and Kelvin Down Hoody jackets, and will be receiving the Timberline pant and the heavyweight core hoody. I've extensively used the Timberline pant and Heavyweight core in the men's versions so I'm excited to see the differences in fit and function in the women's. For sizing reference I'm 5' 10", 170ish, wear a 34 in the mens pants and large in mens tops. I have broad shoulders which is usually what kills me on women's jackets.

I got a L in both women's jackets and they both fit pretty good. The Kelvin Active has become my go-to jacket for a lot of outdoor activities. Fits well in the shoulders and arms, comfortable and seems to breath well. A couple of things on the Kelvin down hoody for me is it's a little tight in the shoulders but not a deal breaker. Also seems to be heavy ounces wise.

Hopefully the other two pieces will arrive in the next few weeks and I can get to using and abusing them! This week I'll be headed to Idaho to help on a bear hunt. Will be bringing both of these jackets in with me on a backpack hunt, so should be a good test!

855847d70cb13c3e53318b10db2dff0b.jpg

Clarktar

WKR
Hopefully they update inventory and selection on the women's line. My wife was ready to go all in on their women's line, but they don't have much...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for starting this thread Jordan:) I will be continuing to test the Sitka Timberline pants this season with their base layers and will be getting their Fanatic jacket in their whitetail line to test. For reference, I am
5’5” and 130 pds. I normally wear a small-medium size but have to usually size up in jackets due to my long arms :/ I wear a 26” in pants. I really like the slim fit of the Timberlines because they don’t seem to catch on stuff as much as some of my looser fitting pants and length is available is several options. They have been quite durable so far. I will keep you guys updated throughout this season and then do a comprehensive review at the end of the season. Post up your questions and Jordan and I can give you our thoughts.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hoping to get my Timberline Pants here in the next couple of weeks. Going to be using them on a Wyoming elk/deer scouting trip. That's going to be a warm trip for those pants but I'd like to get in them to check the fit out, and any differences in them versus the men's Timberline.

I used the jackets on my recent CO scouting trip with no major complaints. The Kelvin Active jacket has become a go-to for when the breeze comes up and/or starts to cool off. I saw a low of 34 degrees at 11,500 ft and the Kelvin down jacket kept me warm for the conditions. Looking forward to testing them as scouting starts full tilt and on into season.

Trial153

WKR
Wish they made a solid color dewpoint jacket in womens sizes, i would like to het one for my wife. I might end up trying a mens small and see how it goes.. .

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Following! I am torn between the First Lite gear that I know fits me well and the pieces that Sitka offers that First Lite doesn't.....when will someone come out with a COMPLETE women's line?!?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Following! I am torn between the First Lite gear that I know fits me well and the pieces that Sitka offers that First Lite doesn't.....when will someone come out with a COMPLETE women's line?!?

What type pieces are you looking for that you feel is lacking. I was actually pretty impressed with the wide number of offerings in the big game line when I reviewed them in 2016.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Excited for your thoughts Jordan and Tanya. I have been pretty impressed with all the attention to cut and fit in the pieces I have used. I can't usually wear the men's stuff though so I am curious to hear you compare and contrast, Jordan.

The cloudburst jacket and pants and the Kelvin hoody are some of my favorites these days. I will be taking them, along with the timberline pants and core heavyweight hoody to Kodiak next month when we head down to chase deer.

What type pieces are you looking for that you feel is lacking. I was actually pretty impressed with the wide number of offerings in the big game line when I reviewed them in 2016.

Specifically, a good shell/softshell piece. FL came out with the Sawtooth for women, but I am not sure that would work well for me. Wool and I don't get along very well, since I sweat a LOT and wool doesn't typically dry fast. Also, props to Sitka for the pieces that are wind-resistant. I am looking at getting the Jetstream jacket it women's.

At Cabela's last year, I tried on the women's Equinox pants, and I liked them, but was looking for something a little heftier for treestand hunting. They were sold out of the timberline.
For comparison, I also tried on the men's Jetstream or Fanatic (or possibly both, I don't recall), and noticed that because I am *blessed* in the backside region, the torso/waist did not fit me well.
I have used a Field & Stream softshell/pant combo for the last several years, and since I and my hubbs are taking a foray into backcountry hunting, I really want to invest in something that will be more suitable for movement.

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
What pieces are you looking at from First Lite that Sitka doesn’t offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Specifically, a good shell/softshell piece. FL came out with the Sawtooth for women, but I am not sure that would work well for me. Wool and I don't get along very well, since I sweat a LOT and wool doesn't typically dry fast. Also, props to Sitka for the pieces that are wind-resistant. I am looking at getting the Jetstream jacket it women's.

At Cabela's last year, I tried on the women's Equinox pants, and I liked them, but was looking for something a little heftier for treestand hunting. They were sold out of the timberline.
For comparison, I also tried on the men's Jetstream or Fanatic (or possibly both, I don't recall), and noticed that because I am *blessed* in the backside region, the torso/waist did not fit me well.
I have used a Field & Stream softshell/pant combo for the last several years, and since I and my hubbs are taking a foray into backcountry hunting, I really want to invest in something that will be more suitable for movement.

I think we all vary somewhat as far as what we look for in a “system”. I know Jordan and Tanya both liked the Kelvin Active jacket, for me personally and my uses I prefer the Kelvin hoody as I rarely hike in a puffy, and want something super warm with a hood when I stop.
I personally don’t use a soft shell here in AK at all, but I know lots of people love them. I know Sitka offers the Women’s jet stream jacket (which is a soft shell), but again I don’t use a soft shell so no real advice to offer one way or the other.

I suspect no company is going to offer a line that accommodates every single persons wants and desires, but I felt like Sitka offered a pretty comprehensive set of options. First Lite has done a good job of this too (I love their Artemis hoody and merino baselayers!), and I personally don’t have a problem mixing and matching pieces from several companies.

Compared to 5 or 10 years ago, there are way more mainstream hunting brands offering items for women which benefits all of us!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I was just going to recommend that Jetstream for you. I have the mens version and really like it for certain situations. Other situations like the high country in September I just go from my fleece layer to a puffy and rain jacket. But I am a fan of softshells and that jetstream is one of my top 2, next to the Catalyst from First Lite.. those are only in mens sizes though right now I believe. I know FL is working on expanding their womens line though.

I was just going to recommend that Jetstream for you. I have the mens version and really like it for certain situations. Other situations like the high country in September I just go from my fleece layer to a puffy and rain jacket. But I am a fan of softshells and that jetstream is one of my top 2, next to the Catalyst from First Lite.. those are only in mens sizes though right now I believe. I know FL is working on expanding their womens line though.

Yeah, I am not dead set on a softshell specifically, just any outer layer with some level of wind protection that my current setup doesn't offer.

Being a visual person (I work in multimedia as a day job), I am also big on the look of the camo patterns, and to be honest, I am not a huge fan of the subalpine pattern. I really wish Sitka had some of the women's gear available in the open country pattern.

All that being said, this thread is about your review, not mine! ha! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this gear.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just received the timberline pants, core long sleeve shirt and cloudburst rain set. The timberline is exactly what I was hoping for. Same material and design as the men’s timberline that I’ve used for years but in a more women friendly fit in the waist area. One of my largest concerns was whether the pant legs were going to run tight around my legs but they are great and sizing seems to be true with layering room and plenty of length. Which is awesome because I’m usually a long length.

The core shirt is a large and fits great through the body but a little short on the sleeves. I do have long arms, so if you don’t it shouldn’t be an issue. Rain pants and jacket fit great, but can’t yet comment on durability etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Just received the timberline pants, core long sleeve shirt and cloudburst rain set. The timberline is exactly what I was hoping for. Same material and design as the men’s timberline that I’ve used for years but in a more women friendly fit in the waist area. One of my largest concerns was whether the pant legs were going to run tight around my legs but they are great and sizing seems to be true with layering room and plenty of length. Which is awesome because I’m usually a long length.

How do you feel like the Timberline pants compare to the First Lite woman’s pants in the way they fit? I felt like the Timberline pants were a lot slimmer fit than the First Lites and I definitely can’t layer the Timberline’s I have. Maybe I should have sized up in the Timberlines?

Becca, please chime in your thoughts as well!

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you feel like the Timberline pants compare to the First Lite woman’s pants in the way they fit? I felt like the Timberline pants were a lot slimmer fit than the First Lites and I definitely can’t layer the Timberline’s I have. Maybe I should have sized up in the Timberlines?

Becca, please chime in your thoughts as well!

Becca definitely chime in!

The FL seemed about the same in the waist and upper legs but seemed to taper more at the bottom than the Sitka pants for me. Which I don’t mind at all, no preference there although the Sitka pants do seem like a longer inseam. I’d like to find a pair a size smaller to try on only to compare fit. I’m super happy with mine but I do need a belt for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanya Avery

Administrator
Staff member
Jordan and I are putting the final touches on this review, and it should be out the first couple weeks of January! Thank you all for all the questions and participation on this thread!