Why not Kryptek?

Soooooo, have always been a huge Sitka fan since 2008. Know literally everything about the brand, history, Gear etc. Probably more than their own employees. But, im moving on. Ditching all 244 pieces. Thought about Kuiu, FirstLite, Kryptek... I really like Firstlite, but seems if there is a warranty issue...good luck. Have heard some not so good experiences and that clothing quality is not near the other brands. No experience though. Kuiu seems to be a niche group of people....kind of a strange following not sure I could get use to, and I have personally had issues with their customer service in the past....but exceptional gear and quality. Not a fan of any of their camo patterns though. And then there’s Kryptek. Looks like their gear has come a long way in the last few years. I’m pretty impressed. So, why is there not a following? Why’s not every website filled with info, sales, talk of Kryptek? It’s always Sitka and Kuiu. Does anyone have any hands on experience with the brand, customer service, warranty, etc? I’m pretty sure we are making the switch but just needing some insight. Thanks

Hybrid-outdoors.com did a pretty good review on the exact same questions. I do like the camo patterns kryptek has to offer. I love my sitka and firstlite. I use kuiu for the pack system.

Sitka does have a great layering system I will add. It all depends on the hunt. I'll be following this thread to see actual users of the clothes and what the feedback says.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
244 pieces? That is certainly more pieces than my entire wardrobe, even counting my socks individually.

If you have 244 pieces of sitka than you have some pretty amazing clothes. Id question why the haste though? Unless it's a sponsorship gone bad id be hesitant to ditch it all.

I have gear (full "systems" in many cases) from kuiu, sitka, fl and now kryptek. Until someone pays me I'd never say "I'm all kuiu or all sitka or (fill in the blank)''...

My opinion (since you asked) is they each have pros and cons. Most of the time when I'm out I can be seen in a mismatch conglomeration of it all combined with some Patagonia or mtn hardware mixed in. I also believe with all my heart that if you're truly interested in the best outdoor gear (performance wise) it's not going to have a hunting brand logo on it.

It's your money. Do with it what makes you happy... but unless someone like sitka ticked you off in a business deal gone bad I'd be careful to jus6 dump it all for something else

Its all just clothing and a healthy dose of marketing. Not sure that kryptek isn’t spoken for- the camo (one of the most effective out there) is everywhere in tacticool circles.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I was sort of wondering the same thing myself, I was planning on replacing worn out stuff with kryptec as it happens.

It’s funny, my wife looks at all the websites and catalogs I have because she knows I’m obsessed with gear, she made the comment the other day that Kuiu is just for rich sheep hunters, kryptec is for ex military people and Sitka is for people who are making their once in a lifetime trip to Alaska do they want to get all decked out.

I didn’t really have an argument for that.

I own and use brands from all of the makers, but I own more Kryptek than anything. I've got 2 or 3 different pants, baselayer shirts, mid-layer shirts, Aquillo down coat (love!), and the Koldo rain pants and coat are bulletproof. I've been very happy with all of it, wouldn't hesitate to buy more.

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
My CS experience with FL has been nothing short of outstanding. I haven’t heard/seen any complaints about them in that regard, but I haven’t been researching them either so that could be why.
I run primarily FL stuff and have zero complaints, I also do not spend months out of the year in the field so take my opinion for what it’s worth.
Kryptek seems to have some great stuff, and I have really started taking a hard look at some of the pieces I am lacking in my current system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Its clothing. Camo pattern doesn't matter, what matters is does it fit well, is it comfy, is it durable.

Outside of that, what is on sale and the least expensive is king, to me anyways. 244 pieces? Sounds like therapy could be needed

Fitzwho

WKR
I sold all my Kuiu gear in favor of Kryptek, which I already had, picked up a few new pieces. But I hadn’t killed anything wearing Kuiu since 2015, it all worked and fit well, but so did my Kryptek and I seem to kill things wearing Kryptek. Used the money I got for selling my Kuiu gear to buy a new pack setup, a suppressor, upgraded some optics, etc.

OP
P
Thanks. Yea, not terribly concerned about camo pattern, although impressed with the Highlander pattern. All sounds silly, but it’s sort of a big decision since we have 4 “services” that are making the switch or change from Sitka. More concerned about performance, function, fit and feel. Myself and the others haven’t been able to use or get our hands on any Kryptek in the past. Never had to deal with customer service either.

jspradley

WKR
I don't have much Kryptek but what I do have and have seen is really nice stuff.

Although I am always curious why people feel the need to dump everything they have and "switch" from one company to another, absent some sort of sponsorship deal...

twall13

WKR
I have a mix of Kryptek, First Lite and a few Sitka pieces and the Kuiu zip off base layer bottoms. I tend to look at each piece individually and decide from there but I've been very happy with the Kryptek pieces I have. Aquillo, Norlander Merino Gloves, Krypton Gloves, Lykos II Jacket, Kratos Vest, sherpa hoody, etc. First Lite Aerowool is the winner for me when it comes to base layers. I don't care for the stretchy side panels on the Kratos vest but otherwise I really like all my Kryptek pieces. Their Altitude line looks awesome though I've never tried it. Their gloves fit my hands better than any other brand I've tried. I think with all of the brands there are pros and cons but any of them make quality clothing. We get on here and complain about xyz we don't like about a brand but in reality it's typically pretty nit picky.

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Krytek makes some fantastic pieces. The Altitude pieces that I have used are top notch, they're as good as anything on the market including high-end mountaineering gear. But the price does scare people off. As for warranty from everyone I talk to it's great.

If I had to pick my favorite piece it would be the Anorak. Its a great piece for hunting the PNW.

twall13

WKR
Oh, and regarding warranty I only have one experience and it was good. One of the pockets had the thread coming undone on the Lykos jacket I purchased right out of the box. I sent them some photos and they promptly mailed me a replacement no questions asked.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
Krytek makes some fantastic pieces. The Altitude pieces that I have used are top notch, they're as good as anything on the market including high-end mountaineering gear. But the price does scare people off. As for warranty from everyone I talk to it's great.

If I had to pick my favorite piece it would be the Anorak. Its a great piece for hunting the PNW.

I ordered the anorak just a couple of months ago as my first piece of Kryptek gear, it seems like a high quality piece, and am excited to add it to the kit.

To me, it seems kryptek lacks the high-dollar marketing budgets that their counterparts seem to have, they also come up short when selling the "lifestyle" aspect of their brand to anyone other than ex military. That's the area where Sitka really hits it out of the park to me, same with Yeti and others in the outdoor rec. space.

Thanks. Yea, not terribly concerned about camo pattern, although impressed with the Highlander pattern. All sounds silly, but it’s sort of a big decision since we have 4 “services” that are making the switch or change from Sitka. More concerned about performance, function, fit and feel. Myself and the others haven’t been able to use or get our hands on any Kryptek in the past. Never had to deal with customer service either.

Out of curiosity, what do do you mean by "4 services", and who is "myself and the others"?

matthewmt

WKR
My only experience with kryptek is trying on a hoody a buddy was selling. It was snug in the torso and baggy in the sleeves if it weren't for that the hooded fleece would have been nice.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aegis Line: great for still hunting, good fit, quiet, decent waterproofness, it's heavy and the pant leg zipper sucks....bad. Overall it has its place in my closet for winter and tree stands.

Sherpa Zip Hoody: warm, fit is a little larger than Sitka, thumbholes don't quite line up for me without a twist, hood is awesome when it's zipped up and covering your face, unzipped it's awkward and leaves a lot of fabric flopping around.

Kiska Beanie: too small for my dome, insulation is bassackwards. Ears have no insulation, top is insulated well, I'm assuming coming from a military gear outfitter the thin ears are to help hear coms.

Krypton Gloves: favorite light layer gloves I've ever worn, I cannot keep from blowing the seam out between the thumb and finger though. Warrantied one pair, feel bad sending them back again. In my opinion it's from hiking with trekking poles.

Overall I feel like quality is a pinch below my Sitka line but I do not own anything from the new Altitude line. I have heard great things about that stuff but if I was to buy anything with Schoeller fabric it would be from a mountaineering company at $200+ less for essentially the same piece in non-camo.

When I did use the warranty department, THEY WERE AMAZING! Huge props for that.