First Lite Outer Layer

Hello everyone,

I've been digging through the forums trying to decide on an all season pant and jacket. I'm in Oklahoma so it doesn't get cold enough to justify the sanctuary or maybe even the Woodbury. I was thinking about the Corrugate set and Uncompahgre puffy and maybe the pants, plus I'll have base layers beneath that depending on weather. Ultimately I'd like to have something I can wear in the stand to a spot and stalk hunt in Colorado (future goal).

Does this seem ideal? Also, I'm curious whether the new Catalyst soft shells would be a better candidate because I'm going to be primarily bow hunting. Problem is I think they'd be too hot for early season and maybe not as appropriate for elk hunting.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Can't say enough good things about the Woodbury jacket. Hands down my favorite hunting jacket for mid-late season bowhunting in Iowa.

It's too warm for early season however.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I sweat a bunch if I try to move around in my Woodbury. I love it but it is too warm for me in that role.

I use a north branch soft shell early in bow season and layer it for the still hunting I do in the north east. I have used a base, fleece, uncomphgre and north branch layering to go pretty cold.

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you’re just getting started building your system.

I’m also an eastern guy with an eye for future adventures out west (although I started a couple years ago.

I can’t speak to the new stuff, but I have a bunch of the old stuff.

If it’s as hot there as it is down South during early archery, I’d start with an aero wool top and the obsidian pants. They are quiet and comfortably cool.

I layer with the Chama and/or fleece, although I recently picked up a sawtooth, but haven’t had it in the woods yet. When temps drop, the puffy is a great piece to carry in your pack and slip on when you cool down after sitting for a while.

If you’re just looking for a couple things, that’s where I’d start. I basically did the same and then added pieces over time when I caught them on sale. You definitely don’t need the high end stuff out east (although guys tougher than me say you don’t need it out west either), but it sure is a lot more comfortable.

My only other advice would be to not keep a running total of everything you wind up buying. And if you do, don’t ever let your wife (or future wife) see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P
Sounds like you’re just getting started building your system.

I’m also an eastern guy with an eye for future adventures out west (although I started a couple years ago.

I can’t speak to the new stuff, but I have a bunch of the old stuff.

If it’s as hot there as it is down South during early archery, I’d start with an aero wool top and the obsidian pants. They are quiet and comfortably cool.

I layer with the Chama and/or fleece, although I recently picked up a sawtooth, but haven’t had it in the woods yet. When temps drop, the puffy is a great piece to carry in your pack and slip on when you cool down after sitting for a while.

If you’re just looking for a couple things, that’s where I’d start. I basically did the same and then added pieces over time when I caught them on sale. You definitely don’t need the high end stuff out east (although guys tougher than me say you don’t need it out west either), but it sure is a lot more comfortable.

My only other advice would be to not keep a running total of everything you wind up buying. And if you do, don’t ever let your wife (or future wife) see it!

Yeah I'm pretty much starting from the ground up. I tried running the 3D Asat suit last year, which was fine for early season, but once it got cold the gear I thought would get me through the day ended up being bulky, noisy, and somewhat cold.

That said, I was thinking the same for my upper layers with the chama and Halstead. Do you think the obsidians would work into late season? It's also very windy in OK so some wind break would be desired.

Her and I have an agreement on our hobbies which is not to ask as long as the bills are paid lol.

OP
P
I sweat a bunch if I try to move around in my Woodbury. I love it but it is too warm for me in that role.

I use a north branch soft shell early in bow season and layer it for the still hunting I do in the north east. I have used a base, fleece, uncomphgre and north branch layering to go pretty cold.

What's the temp when your early season starts? I really like the new catalyst but I think it would be too hot for the early season here. Also, how's the durability of the soft shell been?

It's really tough to "force" certain specialty clothing items into universal mode from sitting to hiking.
Many garments are being manufactured that way , but in my opinion still wont work for "extremes".
Sitting in a tree stand, even in decent weather can turn cold. Hiking in colder weather seasons can get brutally hot. In my opinion you cant trust any seasons out west here. I have been colder during an early August bow season than a late October muzzle loader.

That's why there is so many variables in all the specialty lines.

My advice is to get what you need for both hunts when you need them. Sounds like your "Out West" hunt is down the road, well wait for Down the Road to come and then get what you need then.

I have both the Corr Guide and Kanab (Obsidian) pants and I wear the Corr guide 90%. If its cold I layer any way. If its really cold I will wear the kanab with a layer.

For the top I wear puffys. Mostly because they are packable, which is key for out west as we always put on, take off, put on. I hate the soft shell for that reason, to bulky. I use the Cirr UL puffy and the reg puffy. I also ordered the new Cat soft shell which is suppose to be packable.

I have been using the Hybrid sawtooth jacket and so far it is a good jacket for a few scenarios from cool to warmer. But that depends on my layering at the time too. I was at 10,000' setting cameras yesterday, it was 60 degrees and the ranger ride on the trails I was a tad cold on the long straight aways, with it on, but once to the spot where the hike began, I had to shed it, and hike in a T shirt as it was too hot.

My point is don't look for the miracle garment. Get a few pieces not just the one.

Last edited:

DougP

Lil-Rokslider
Mfllood is right. No one piece does all, but the layered system together does. I recommended the things that work for early season and seem to always be part of my system.

The more I think of it, the guide pants are more versatile for me and I probably wear them 90% of the time too.

I start out the season in FL Merino boxers and asat leafy suit, then add the kanabs and llano ss, the merino has no wind blocking no matter how much you put on. I have the catalyst coming as a mid season wind breaking shell and I bought the furnace base layers to carry them to lower temps until I need to break out the sanctuary and woodbury. There were a few hunts last year where I had 3 merino layers on and a puffy vest and I was cold because of the wind more than the temp but it wasnt cold enough for my woodbury or sanctuary. I stayed away from the North Branch because of noise reviews but picked up a pair of the pants in the classifieds after I ordered the catalyst set and wish I would have done it sooner as they are super nice. The catalyst jacket is a significant upgrade from the north branch jacket with hood and pockets. Tanner Morrison on the Face Book first lite traders page did a really good video on the catalyst that really helped me pull the trigger on that set. I have linked that video in a previous first lite post.

OP
P
Maybe I'll go with the catalyst and base layers for now. I can't justify the Woodbury or sanctuary, but I could give those a whirl this year and reassess next year.