First Lite Charma Hoody vrs Sitka Apex Hoody

I have been wearing the Charma hoody for years and love it. Looking to see if anyone has both and your thoughts on whether it is worth spending the $219 to get the Apex.
I would appreciate your help.
Thanks

I have worn the Chama a few seasons now and have loved it but the merino is fragile.

If I had to replace it I would probably go Apex. Elbow pads sound good for sneaking along on the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Kotaman

WKR
I have them both. They are very different pieces IMO. If I could only own one, it would be the Apex. In fact if I could only own one hoodie period, it would be the Apex. Love the weight, materials etc. Hope it comes in a solid next year.

bigharge

WKR
I just received my apex set this last week. I'm a solid First Lite junkie and almost all my camo is Fusion, but this Apex series has me rethinking this year. Its so quiet and seems much more durable than any of my first lite pieces with merino. I'm not a knee or elbow pad user so those along with the kangaroo pouch aren't all that appealing to me, but the fit and comfort level of the apex is extremely well done imo

worx53

WKR
anyone have input on the new First Lite hoody - website says its more durable (something referenced to tougher) than the chama

I have them both. They are very different pieces IMO. If I could only own one, it would be the Apex. In fact if I could only own one hoodie period, it would be the Apex. Love the weight, materials etc. Hope it comes in a solid next year.

Very different in what ways?

Would you wear the apex as a base layer?

Kotaman

WKR
Very different in what ways?

Would you wear the apex as a base layer?

The Apex is not like a typical merino piece in weight, material or function. It has a "waffle" design much like the FL Halsted or Sitka Heavyweight but it has merino woven into it. Think of it as a synthetic piece with merino woven into it. I believe it is going to be warmer, breath at least as good as merino and will dry faster. Kind of a "Hybrid" piece.

I probably wouldn't wear it as a base layer alone, but that doesn't mean you can't. I will wear mine over a SS Sitka Base layer T. I will use it as a late season "midlayer" and a early season "soft shell". I wore it as a "do all" piece on a spring bear hunt and it worked great. This is a very versatile piece that is going to work on all of my hunts from early season sheep to late season moose and deer.

I have been wearing the Charma hoody for years and love it. Looking to see if anyone has both and your thoughts on whether it is worth spending the $219 to get the Apex.
I would appreciate your help.
Thanks

both are great products if i had to pick between it would be the apex

if you need sitka help just let us know we will be glad to quote you out and answer any questions you have

Trial153

WKR
I owned like 3 different chama Hoody from first Lite at various times. I also got the apex Hoody.
These two are very different. The chama Hoody is heavy for it warmth and has more relaxed fit. I mostly used it over a thin Merino top, but sometimes as base in colder weather. It very comfortable however it does get kind of stretched. Durability wasn’t good for me and I chew holes in them pretty easy. I sold the last of them and moved away from them.
I felt the core heavy weight and fanatic were warmer per its weight, had a better fit and was way more durable. The apex I think even a slight improvement on the core heavy weight. It’s mapped better with reenforced shoulders and elbow, the DWR coating is nice too. I can see this as an everyday piece all September during elk season.

K_pem

WKR
Looking at the apex pants and hoodie. Currently have the FL obsidian pants and a sawtooth. Would the apex be a major benefit over the sawtooth to use all early season as an outer layer, I usually wear a merino T or long sleeve half zip and the sawtooth over it. Pretty much always have my jetstream vest too.

Im just not sure its different enough to fill a void between a 1/4 zip merino and the sawtooth. Thoughts?