Discussion on new hunting apparel brand ideas

R_burg

WKR
Its all about materials, so as long as the materials and fit are great I don't care about the name.

I have a bunch of Sitka and Kuiu stuff, I cant really get into First Lite because I swim in it fit-wise.

To me, it really comes down to this: It's asinine that I have to pay 150%-300% of an Arcteryx or Outdoor Research garment so I can have something that is camo... And to be honest I think my Arcteryx clothing is better than my hunting stuff, Sitka included. Sitka is decent but is overpriced. Kuiu used to be pretty fairly priced when you could get 30% off if you waited for a sale, but now that they stopped that, I think they are on the high side of fair, it really depends on the garment. OR blows these companies out of the water when it comes to what you get for the money. Arcteryx costs more but I like their stuff better, and when its on sale I put it in that same category of blowing Sitka and Kuiu out of the water.

I dont think you can really reinvent the wheel when it comes to design, nor do I think you need to.

I prefer to support a hunting brand and I like a lot of stuff in Camo, but when push comes to shove those 2 things dont always win outc

FURMAN

WKR
Materials, fit, purpose, colors, all those are important but I would place the business model above all. When you read through the thread you see many different opinions on the gear people want. I personally feel Sitka spent too much time resting on their laurels. First lite can not get their fit down. I do not like all of Kuiu's line but they have the best line and business model in my opinion. They are constantly improving. I think First lite is gaining momentum and look forward to where they will go but they just are not there quit yet. Sitka does make some great gear but not one piece of their clothing is worth the premium over Kuiu or FL. Good luck. I look forward to seeing your gear.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
All the big names are making products for the extreme which brings cost. Most hunters are not going to the extreme but as more are venturing away from the truck, atv, horse the need for some performance and weight reduction starts to become needed. Still you don’t need gear worthy of a ten day sheep hunt to go three miles off the trail in most areas. Right now those hunters spend time scouring sales and classifieds because there isn’t much middle ground from a hunting brand. A one stop shop would be nice. I know when I settle for a non hunting brand I make more compromises than I want to. Usually it’s a hood sized for a helmet, pockets that are not easy to get into without excessive movements, noisy fabrics and zippers, bright colors which is ok for things you’re not wearing all day.

If you offer camo just use a generic blob pattern that way you’re not investing in developing one or paying royalties.

TwoTikkas

WKR
For me the whole hi tech layering system is about light weight. It dawned on me one day while bear hunting. My insulated Cabelas gear was suddenly too warm for the rest of the day. The truck was 2 miles away. It was miserable. I stuffed what I could in my game bag on my vest. Suffered with the rest. The next year I was outfitted with a system,and a day pack. Never again will I get caught in a warm up with no way to deal with it.

Last edited:
Have only read the first few posts, so please forgive possible redundancy.

(1) here in sweden, fjällräven or haglofs or lundhags are king. Problem? They are heavy and expensive. I have a pair of fjallraven lappland trousers (similar to keb trouser, just quieter material) and a pair of tierra lite track pants. Both have features that I like, yet neither combine them the way I want, and I have seen this shopping for other brands, kuiu, kryptek, and sitka.
Example would be: side vents with mesh backing, options for knee pads, good place to clip a knife that wont make noise, waterproof knees and ass. I find these features in lots of pants, but not combined how I like. Variants on this for warmer weather would be nice, as when its cold, thicker baselayers can always make up the difference. It almost looks like the sitka timberlines would be the ticket, but I HATE the Grey on the knees.

(2) I will echo what others say about cross-over pursuits. Seems like many arent just hunters, but outdoorsman. I personally spend more time hiking and fishing than hunting, though that is more to do with lack of access, not lack of desire.

(3) this probably exists, but I dont have experience with it: a button-up long sleeve that is quiet but wont get cuffs caught up while shooting a bow. It needs to be thick enough that mosquitoes and deer flies cant bite through, yet breathable enough to not sweat your ass off. A good one I have is a british surplus in dpm camo, cotton. The problem is that in any other pursuit, I get mistaken for a hunter and get stuck in annoying conversations trying to convince people I am not hunting out of season.

(4) there needs to be something better on the baselayer front. You are the textile expert here, but I will complain about what I dont like: for me, merino is only good when its cooler. I personally dont like it for warm weather, as it stinks and makes me sweat even more. Honestly, a $15 tight fitting t-shirt from H&M is my favorite hot weather shirt to wear, even though it holds sweat, I will take it over merino on hot days. Synthetic baselayers feel slimy when sweating, and they stink worse than merino. Sweat management is key when working hard. I hate being over heated. I am a skinny guy, healthy, but I sweat ALOT and get hot easy. I prefer to be on the cooler side. My kuiu merino is rough, kryptek merino is much softer, but the seams itch. Just from a regular outdoorsman to another. Thanks and best of luck to you!

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Check out some of the outdoor apparel and hunting brands from Scandinavia for inspiration. Scandinavian’s make great, practical and durable outdoor gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That being said, if you could add some features that hunters favor: lighter and quieter. Lots of the hiking clothes here are wayyyyy too loud, and the hunting clothes here are wayyyyy too heavy. Hunting here is heavily dominated by old farts who just sit and drink while waiting for the dog to drive the animal into a clearing. If you can have the functionality and durability of scandinavian clothes at a decent weight and noise level, you will do well

So, I'm not sure how high the demand is, but my wife is always searching for women specific clothing that is actually cut for a woman. She has a fairly fit body type, but has also had a couple kids so has hips that reflect. (trying to word this right hahah) She is thin but curvy and most of the "women" cut clothing is not all that different than the mens line, maybe slightly more room in the chest. But maybe getting a womens line that allows for more women to use it? Again, maybe no demand for this, I honestly don't know. I just know that she emailed Kuiu a few years back and asked about any plans and they told her they would not ever be running women-specific lines.
Disclaimer, we know Sitka started a womens line but she hasn't had the chance to try them out yet.

THIS.

As a woman who has had a couple of kids and loves to hunt and backpack, I have had the hardest time trying to find quality hunting clothes that fit me well! That being said, I own a few pieces of First Lite base layers, and the problem I have with the merino is that I sweat A LOT, and these pieces take FOREVER to dry. I plan to try out the newer Merino X that supposedly dries quicker, but that's a reinvestment on gear that was expensive to begin with.
I haven't tried much Sitka gear, simply because the few pieces I did try on didn't fit my body shape as well as I would have liked. Still, both Sitka and FL have done a much better job than, say, Field & Stream or Wrangler (Wal-mart's go-to hunting brand), on making a comfortable women's cut. For reference, I am a muscular but short 5'6", 180lbs.

On an unrelated note, I also was PISSED to hear about Kuiu saying there would never be a women's line. Total B.S.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
That being said, if you could add some features that hunters favor: lighter and quieter. Lots of the hiking clothes here are wayyyyy too loud, and the hunting clothes here are wayyyyy too heavy. Hunting here is heavily dominated by old farts who just sit and drink while waiting for the dog to drive the animal into a clearing. If you can have the functionality and durability of scandinavian clothes at a decent weight and noise level, you will do well

I went boar hunting in France with the Gascogne dogs chasing the animals. The forest is so thick that only the dogs can fit on the trails made be the pigs. Dog drives are a very dangerous way to hunt. I personally know a dog owner who was shot in the belly with a .300 Winmag and lived. 15 surgeries and he will never be the same.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
THIS.

As a woman who has had a couple of kids and loves to hunt and backpack, I have had the hardest time trying to find quality hunting clothes that fit me well! That being said, I own a few pieces of First Lite base layers, and the problem I have with the merino is that I sweat A LOT, and these pieces take FOREVER to dry. I plan to try out the newer Merino X that supposedly dries quicker, but that's a reinvestment on gear that was expensive to begin with.
I haven't tried much Sitka gear, simply because the few pieces I did try on didn't fit my body shape as well as I would have liked. Still, both Sitka and FL have done a much better job than, say, Field & Stream or Wrangler (Wal-mart's go-to hunting brand), on making a comfortable women's cut. For reference, I am a muscular but short 5'6", 180lbs.

On an unrelated note, I also was PISSED to hear about Kuiu saying there would never be a women's line. Total B.S.

First of all, I know many men who truly wished their wives would go out in the field and backcountry and hunt with them. Yours is lucky indeed. Within the general apparel industry the trend towards fits that include all body types is a very strong one. So far in hunting apparel that really hasn't happened. The market is growing, albeit slowly. Kuiu will almost assuredly wish they made a different decision at some point in the future, at which time they will spin why they have changed their mind.

I too sweat like hell when I grind up a mountain with a pack on in August. I use merino in summer anyway mainly because it's hot enough to dry quickly in summer out west and it holds it's properties when wet regardless. I like 3-7 day backcountry trips and nothing works better for not smelling terrible than merino. :)

Best of luck to you!

**shaking head** sounds like european hunting for sure.
I went boar hunting in France with the Gascogne dogs chasing the animals. The forest is so thick that only the dogs can fit on the trails made be the pigs. Dog drives are a very dangerous way to hunt. I personally know a dog owner who was shot in the belly with a .300 Winmag and lived. 15 surgeries and he will never be the same.

Dwnorton1

FNG
elkyinzer;955581 Better sizing. First Lite badly needs tall sizing. It's their biggest downfall. [/QUOTE said:
Glad someone else said it. I have told their customer service that at least dozen times. How else can you make $10 extra dollars for extra 2" of material so they shirts stay tucked in and pants that don't fit like knickers, not playing golf.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Glad someone else said it. I have told their customer service that at least dozen times. How else can you make $10 extra dollars for extra 2" of material so they shirts stay tucked in and pants that don't fit like knickers, not playing golf.

If they got their fit down properly and treated it like mainstream apparel in magnitude of importance they would sell many more units. Many more.

I do this for a living. It's gotta fit perfect.

First of all, I know many men who truly wished their wives would go out in the field and backcountry and hunt with them. Yours is lucky indeed. Within the general apparel industry the trend towards fits that include all body types is a very strong one. So far in hunting apparel that really hasn't happened. The market is growing, albeit slowly. Kuiu will almost assuredly wish they made a different decision at some point in the future, at which time they will spin why they have changed their mind.

I too sweat like hell when I grind up a mountain with a pack on in August. I use merino in summer anyway mainly because it's hot enough to dry quickly in summer out west and it holds it's properties when wet regardless. I like 3-7 day backcountry trips and nothing works better for not smelling terrible than merino. :)

Best of luck to you!

My husband and I just got back from a 3-day backpacking trip here in West Virginia. We hiked up a pretty steep mountain the very first day and my clothes were completely soaked. It took hanging them by the fire all evening and in the morning to get them dried out, and even then they were damp when I packed them back up (I predicted this and packed spares). So, I am now in the market for a faster-drying material I can hunt/hike in.

Husband has several pieces from the Sitka line, and swears by them all, especially the base layers for drying quickly. But, he also admits it doesn't take much for those pieces to start to smell ripe, even with the Polygiene treatment.

THIS.

I didn’t hear the context of KUIU’s quote about a women’s line, but they tend to be heavily market/demand driven, as well as adhering to their brand and image. They’ve been asked about developing clothing for whitetail, waterfowl, more relaxed fit, etc, and have had the same response, that it’s not aligned with their branding goals and they don’t have experience with it.

It may have come across as they didn’t have any interest in women that hunt, but it’s more than likely about the numbers.

I didn’t hear the context of KUIU’s quote about a women’s line, but they tend to be heavily market/demand driven, as well as adhering to their brand and image. They’ve been asked about developing clothing for whitetail, waterfowl, more relaxed fit, etc, and have had the same response, that it’s not aligned with their branding goals and they don’t have experience with it.

It may have come across as they didn’t have any interest in women that hunt, but it’s more than likely about the numbers.

I totally get that, but the way he had said it was something to the effect of Kuiu is an elite clothing brand that caters to the elite mountain hunter....and one could take that as him basically saying women, whitetail hunters, or waterfowl hunters are not and will never be considered "elite" in his brand's book. It is my understanding that they also lumped overweight men in that category, and that's why they don't make larger sized clothing. Please forgive me if I am misunderstanding this, since I can't find the original source article where I found that info.

And apparently, a lot of that has changed as well since the initial comment was made.

Last edited:

NDGuy

WKR
Also would suggest more fitted pants. Hate the whole S, M, L, XL, XXL crap that First Lite does.

I think I mentioned it before but I love the in pant belt cinch like Prana Zions have.

Armstrong

FNG
My buddies and I all started out with kuiu, first lite etc. Now we’re being drawn to solid colors. I could see a market for a less expensive Filson type of clothing company. Filson makes awesome clothing but it’s extremely expensive. I love the old timey look of it. You can wear it in the woods or in town. If you could make similar styled clothing with modern technical fabrics at a cheaper price point you would have a winner.

Vandal 44

WKR
SoCalHunter, I think there is defiantly room for another quality clothing line. I read a lot of these post and there are many great ideas, like others have said the hunting clothing industry is something that I wanted to get into but didn't have the background or knowledge (all excuses)

from a selfish stand point I would love it if a company would make clothes that fit people with a more athletic build. I am 6',2" 235 pound and built more like a linebacker big thighs and big chest.

I run hot and sweat a lot so I like clothes that breath well and are not heavy.

My go to pant is the Kuiu Tiburon pant, I wear this pant 80% of the time even in late November. The main reason is that is breathes so well fairly tough pant even for hunting in North Idaho thick woods, I like the pocket and how they are positioned on the pant, the side vents a big bonus. I do not like how the Tiburon's are cut bell bottom or boot cut at the calf down to the foot, like most pants I have to buy a 40" waist 34" inseam then take the pants in and have then tailored so they will fit my 36" waist and 33" inseam. (every style of pant would have a water proof/resistant seat)

My go to shirt is a 1/4 zip ultra lite wool. I have no brand loyalty here, what ever is on sale and for late season hunts same still wool shirt just heavier weight. (make the torso long so a person can tuck the shirt in and not pull out)

I would like a better selection of solid colors something I could wear hunting then wear on town. I would not mind spending the money on good quality dual purpose clothes.