Discussion on new hunting apparel brand ideas

lkwoolsey

WKR
So, I'm not sure how high the demand is, but my wife is always searching for women specific clothing that is actually cut for a woman. She has a fairly fit body type, but has also had a couple kids so has hips that reflect. (trying to word this right hahah) She is thin but curvy and most of the "women" cut clothing is not all that different than the mens line, maybe slightly more room in the chest. But maybe getting a womens line that allows for more women to use it? Again, maybe no demand for this, I honestly don't know. I just know that she emailed Kuiu a few years back and asked about any plans and they told her they would not ever be running women-specific lines.
Disclaimer, we know Sitka started a womens line but she hasn't had the chance to try them out yet.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
So, I'm not sure how high the demand is, but my wife is always searching for women specific clothing that is actually cut for a woman. She has a fairly fit body type, but has also had a couple kids so has hips that reflect. (trying to word this right hahah) She is thin but curvy and most of the "women" cut clothing is not all that different than the mens line, maybe slightly more room in the chest. But maybe getting a womens line that allows for more women to use it? Again, maybe no demand for this, I honestly don't know. I just know that she emailed Kuiu a few years back and asked about any plans and they told her they would not ever be running women-specific lines. Disclaimer, we know Sitka started a womens line but she hasn't had the chance to try them out yet.

Pretty arrogant from a seemingly arrogant company. My fiancé was looking for hunting clothing last yearand thumbed through a KUIU catalog that arrived. She was quickly red hot over their lack of offerings.

I'd take a long look at Sitka and see if you can offer similar garments with much better pricing. IMHO they are best. I'd try to improve on their offerings at a much lower price. It could easily be done if you cut out the marketing.

An affordable, lightweight, quiet, breathable, waterproof jacket seem to be impossible to find. If you can build this one item you will be the king of the market. I'd work on this item first.

To you or anyone else reading this. What pricepoint do you consider affordable for this type of jacket?

FlyGuy

WKR
One more idea. I love the sitka Jetstream vest. I probably wear it more than anything. I would really like it if that vest came in a Hunters Orange version for use during rifle season.

Nobody makes a functional hunter's orange vest. Sitka came out with one, but IMO missed pretty bad. and $100 bucks to boot. Haven't seen anything from anyone else but they could exist, just think there is room here for a garment like this that is an actual piece of gear - not just a cheap afterthought.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am an average blue collar worker and I can’t spend $220 on pants $400 on an outer shell etc.etc.. if I buy something it has to be multi-use. For me that means solid colors earth toned. No flourecent stitching no big gaudy emblems. So far I own a pair of grey attack pants because those were the only ones available with hip vents and I can pretty much wear them anywhere. I’m not big on wearing Camo around town. But I also don’t want to prematurely wear out my gear just to wear it but for the high cost that we pay I feel like I need to get my monies worth. I hope that makes sense.

I don’t understand why stuff made in China costs so much? I think my Eddie Bauer guide pants are about the best deal when I can get them half off but they don’t have all the features I want. Make sure there are enough belt loops and they are placed correctly to carry a side arm in or outside of the pants. Maybe have inside pockets on the jacket/vests for conceal carry also. With today’s sub compact pistols it don’t have to be an oversized pocket. I hope that makes sense I’m having a hard time explaining myself on my phone

Great feedback. I love the beltloop/sidearm/ccw ideas. Potentially even reinforce the waistband at the likely holster position assuming many hunters wear a sidearm out west. Thanks!

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I think for the price under armor should have more features. All jackets/vests should have 2 zippers so when I sit I can move the bottom one up a bit to keep my jacket from bubleing out especially if you are riding a4 wheeler or motorcycle in.

Underarmor is a consumer apparel company that decided to enter the hunting apparel business. Good marketing with mediocre, very over-priced product.

Great feedback. I love the beltloop/sidearm/ccw ideas. Potentially even reinforce the waistband at the likely holster position assuming many hunters wear a sidearm out west. Thanks!

I carry a sidearm all the time in Michigan no matter what I am doing. Also I have a pair of la police gear pants I think there operated model which are like 511 or bdu pants and they are great cheap and I would love them Except for the elastic waistband that digs into me.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I carry a sidearm all the time in Michigan no matter what I am doing. Also I have a pair of la police gear pants I think there operated model which are like 511 or bdu pants and they are great cheap and I would love them Except for the elastic waistband that digs into me.

CCW in Kalifornia is complicated. I carry bear spray for bear in the backcountry and a 10mm for protection from more dangerous predators.

One more idea. I love the sitka Jetstream vest. I probably wear it more than anything. I would really like it if that vest came in a Hunters Orange version for use during rifle season.

Nobody makes a functional hunter's orange vest. Sitka came out with one, but IMO missed pretty bad. and $100 bucks to boot. Haven't seen anything from anyone else but they could exist, just think there is room here for a garment like this that is an actual piece of gear - not just a cheap afterthought.

Universally there aren't many options for high quality technical gear in hunter orange, it seems that most of the high end brands focus on bow hunting.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
-My biggest complaint about hunting/outdoor clothing (aside from price) is the fit. I understand an athletic fit for layering purposes, but I feel it’s way too cut. Consistent sizing is also something missing from a lot of clothing companies.
-Also I think tall shirts and top-layer options would be popular.
-Cut in the pants is key, not too baggy, but not skinny jean cut.
-I think a simplified layering system is needed in the market. I think some companies have too many options.
-I agree with others about solid colors, preferably brown and gray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoTikkas

WKR
Quality rain gear that isn't $1,000 an outfit. These imported membranes CANT be that expensive.

Again,solid colors.

Not everyone is built like a high school track star. Some of us actually have muscles. More thought needs to be given to sizing as has been mentioned.

A less expensive performance clothing line will never fly. I find myself doubting the quality of lesser priced layering and outer wear. Core4 was mentioned. Hells canyon speed is another. It's a tough mindset to overcome. I've got a duffle full of Sitka gear. I'm currently exploring Kryptec. I like both this far. Never buy at full price. It's taken a couple years,but I've put together a pretty efficient system. With the exception of whitetail stand hunting wear. Still shopping. Folks back east here are expected to endure bulky,heavy clothing for stand hunting. Some thought needs put into this market.

No rainbows or unicorns here. It's a tough industry. The problems and short falls exist because there are no clear cut solutions. None that please enough potential customers to warrant the expense of manufacture. One that totally boggles my mind is a quality,blaze orange,water proof hat for Colorado's rifle seasons. I've been looking for one for two years. Archery hunters have enough choices. Let's get onboard with catering to the rifle hunter for a change. I know. I bow hunted almost exclusively for 15 years.

In a nut shell. All you need is light,durable,DRY,breathable clothing. In solids. Including blaze orange. That costs less than a new custom rifle for a system. Cut to fit men that aren't one sandwich away from starvation. Not picking on the tri athletes here. I admire you guys. But, when I was young,I was an amateur bodybuilder. At 55 I still carry some of the old by products of it. Makes it hard to order these products without first doing a hands on in a store. In reality it's my problem,not the industry's. Just frustrating.

There you have it. My two cents more or less.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
For Whitetailers who sit is cold treestands, A Climashield APEX insulated coverall in a Schoeller water and windproof quiet shell would absolutely solve your problem.

APEX is the best weight to warmth ratio there is.

I like the idea of merino tops and pants with abrasion-resistant nylon patches added under the backpack shoulder straps, elbows, and knees/shins. This could carry over into the upland market too.

I think to sell to hunters you’re going to need camo, but you don’t need multiple patterns. I like a couple solid colors too. You’d know better than I would, but I’d keep the options in the lines simple. KUIU and Sitka have so many pants and tops it’s hard to tell what is what, and it seems a single choice is best 90% of the time anyways. It would also help with people whining about inventory problems.

At 6’, 165 lbs, I like the athletic fitting clothes after swimming in others forever, but I realize not everyone is that way. Once you’ve developed the features and fabrics, it might not be a bad idea to offer both athletic and relaxed fit sizing.

The idea of spreading to other outdoor markets is a good one, but may be tricky. There are a lot of nut jobs out there that think if you eat meat period you’re the devil. You’d have to be very careful with your advertising to show responsible, non-trophy hunting, and make it clear that it’s the most ethical source of meat possible. Jesse Griffiths is a chef who has some good videos about it.

Be careful about pricing yourself too low. People are used to seeing and may not pay Sitka prices, but setting them too low might give the image that your products are inferior, even if they aren’t. I’d look to be at $100 pants instead of $180 pants rather than $60 pants.