Discussion on new hunting apparel brand ideas

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Fellow Roksliders:

I have been in the apparel manufacturing business my entire adult life. I grew up in the business and have been lucky enough to have learned a lot from some very talented people. It's been 35 years or so now so I have had the chance to meet a wide range of factories, mills, fiber and other suppliers from every significant producing country in the world.

I also love hunting and the outdoors. I find peace and the truest sense of belonging while in the mountains or meadows fly fishing or hunting for big game.

I have been toying with the idea of creating a new hunting apparel and accessories line. Personally loving the products that I would be involved in manufacturing would be a first for me. I have world-class sourcing in just about every category of apparel, footwear and accessories so I am not limited in scope of product I can chose to make.

If anyone else has ever thought about this same subject please free to chime in. I would love input and ideas on what people would like in apparel. Personally, i think that the retail prices to get good quality are simply too high. I also feel that differentiation is very important.

If anyone wants advice on their own ideas or help I am happy to do so.

Thanks

Last edited:

adamm88

WKR
I personally think there is room for quality hunting gear at a lower price point. Up until about two years ago all my stuff was big name brands(or patterns) from big box stores and pretty much made of cotton(crap) .

I bought a pair of sylo redding pants off recommendations of some reading on this forum and they are awesome at about $60 to my door.

I think there is room in this area, im sure its a hard market between walmart junk amd high end stuff,

fngTony

Okay Moderator
Staff member
Honestly thought about it myself only I have no background in the industry. My thoughts lean two ways. 1. Technical features on hot weather clothes. And some creative blending of features not found for our unique challenges. 2. A more universal line that appeals to similar activities (backpacking, fishing, etc) yet doesn’t compromise must haves for hunting.

Marketing side would be unique to hunting apparel yet I see it working in a different hunting market.

Gonewest

WKR
A more universal line that appeals to similar activities (backpacking, fishing, etc) yet doesn’t compromise must haves for hunting.

I agree 100% with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
Then you can make a bino harness that is one-handed open, opens forward, full protection for binos, quiet, durable, breathes well, small profile, and holds lots of stuff and you will be a rich man!

topher89

WKR
Better upland hunting clothing. There seems to be a lack of technical features on a lot of upland clothing.

Jebuwh

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about doing something like this so many times, just don't have the background or supplier relationships.

Few thoughts on my end...

Solid color inexpensive options. I mean a pair of quick drying solid color pants shouldn't cost 150 bucks.

Merino has been great for me, as well as some of the blends. I again feel like Merino made overseas gear is way more expensive than it could be. I get making big profits, but I feel like it leaves room for another company to come in.

I dunno what else, I'll keep thinking and comment again.

TheCougar

WKR
There is no one right answer on synthetics or natural materials. It all depends on the needs of the user and the environment. I am a merino fan, but I think the room for error is smaller. Merino is more prone to damage, burrs, comfort issues etc and the construction and quality has to be excellent or the product will fail. I personally love merino because I can hunt for 5-6 days before my clothes stink. Synthetics have lots of benefits like quick drying, durability, etc but I stink after 2 days of hunting. There is a market for both, so don’t focus on the material. Focus on whatever sets your product apart from Sitka, Kuiu, and FL. I don’t think you can beat them at their own game, at least not initially. You have to find your own angle and build from there.

tater

WKR
I think the market is ready for compound garments like a moderate weight pant made of quality whipcord wool with schoeller fabric panels and zippered vents.
Think Fjallraven style garments with wool rather than G1000 and higher grade technical fabrics.

Wool is still a brilliant fabric for hunting and other outdoor pursuits, it just needs to be brought into the 21st century.

topher89

WKR
A lot of fantastic ideas! What do you guys thing about natural fibers like merino as opposed to synthetics?

To me, I care more about purpose than material. I want the material to match the purpose. So if merino is the best materail for a certain application, I want it. If something synthetic would be better, I would choose that

Btaylor

WKR
There is no doubt room for improvement in clothing systems. Material technology will continue to improve but utilization of materials both in composition and design of function still has plenty of room to grow. Bringing innovation there and doing so at lower price point could for sure be a winning combination.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I really thank everyone for their incredible input here.

I love merino. I just wish it was a little tougher fiber. Maybe a 10%-15% treated nylon and 85%-90% Merino would would strengthen it up without losing the benefits of the wool.

Synopsis of thoughts:

1. Quality product at a better price.
2. Hot weather hunting apparel that technically superior.
3. Crossover apparel that does not sacrifice hunting qualities.
4. New materials (wool and others)

I absolutely think that quality can be available at a better price. Many outstanding brands work hard and spend a ton of marketing $$ to bring value to their brand name. The model I am thinking of is less marketing and better pricing. Small runs make that difficult but nothing is easy.

I think that hot weather hunting is under served. That's because I live in California, where a July or August bowhunt can be 90 to 105 degrees or higher in some places. Is this a western/plains phenomenon or do eastern and hunters also need more of this type of apparel?

Crossover apparel is out there. I know guys who use Prana stretch pants at $80 bucks to hunt in for hot weather. I would use then for fishing on a hot windy day at Hot Creek too. This needs to be brainstormed.

New materials are out there in both the synthetic arena as well as naturals. Wool is a fantastic fiber and is softer than ever. There is also more wool fiber development going on than ever. In synthetics the new development that can be used for hunting as we move into the future is off the charts.

One person mentioned a bino harness. What other soft accessories do you feel there might be a need for?

Thanks again and keep the discussion going. Please feel free to speak up about anything related to this subject as well. I really need input from real hunters and Rokslide is the best place anywhere to find them.

Wildlifer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on board with all of these ideas. I have a brief background in textile, 2 years before i switched my major and the fiber technology is amazing. I have no doubt that there is or will be a synthetic fiber to compete with merino or to at least supplement it rather than nylon or poly. Aside from material development and garment design I find one very basic aspect missing from most "affordable" outdoor brands. That aspect if fit. I think I am a pretty average guy at 6'1", 185lb and finding items with fit like they should is difficult. The cheaper an item is the more generic the fit is. I know some of that is a function of production and inventory but regardless of how great the fabric is or how low the price point it I am not going to wear it if it doesn't fit properly. I think a lot of guys run into this and end up paying extra on higher end stuff simply because it fits better.

excaliber

WKR
I'd take a long look at Sitka and see if you can offer similar garments with much better pricing. IMHO they are best. I'd try to improve on their offerings at a much lower price. It could easily be done if you cut out the marketing.

An affordable, lightweight, quiet, breathable, waterproof jacket seem to be impossible to find. If you can build this one item you will be the king of the market. I'd work on this item first.

FlyGuy

WKR
Another thought regarding hot weather hunting... thorn proof.

I live in TX and make a few hunts a year out west or South and the thorns and oak brush are Hell on lightweight pants and shirts. I've gotten to where I hate wearing my good stuff because it gets so torn up and snagged. Most guides I've seen just resort to wearing jeans or some other cotton pant that is hot as Heck and wont breathe. Too expensive for them to replace those kuiu or Sitka pants over and over. If you come up with anything, I would expect that to crossover into a line of upland clothing as well.

I've been expecting Sitka to make a run at the upland clothing market but this far have not. I believe that market is ripe for some upgrades!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk