Whitetail layers for Kansas in November

golfbum

WKR
I’m hunting whitetail for the first time this November in western Kansas and trying to put together a warm system for all day sits if it’s as cold as it sometimes can get there. I will be archery hunting and sitting in a stand 100% of the time.

Trying to get by without investing into a full blown whitetail system as I don’t think it will be very often I will get to hunt them.

Gear I have and thinking will work:

Heavy baselayers
Jetstream Vest
Timberline or 90% pant

At treestand add:
Kelvinlite puffy pants and coat
Eddie Bauer active synthetic puffy (pretty quiet)
Cabelas 4most windshear fleece top and bottoms.

I would think this would work as well or better then fanatic or sanctuary and save me a lot of $????

Any input would be great!

I shot my bow in all this and no issues there!

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
There is a little noise from the puffys but no more then I have seen with the fanatic set.

Btaylor

WKR
From talking with my buddies that hunt kansas, it is the wind on top of the temp that ruins most folks hunts. Since you have puffy gear already and are looking for an affordable option, I would encourage you to look at the natural gear wind fleece. It is what I do all of my late season bowhunting in. If it is real cold or I am going to be running the rivers for late season bowhunting or duck hunting, I will wear the vest under the jacket. It shuts the wind down, period and is surprisingly warm for being "uninsulated". Pants jacket and vest will be well under say a stratus jacket cost wise.

Being a Kansas, I get to do this each year. I think your set up is a good start. The temp's vary greatly in November, there are times I'm in a t-shirt and times it's in the single digits. Having a layering system is key. Wind is also an issue, especially in Western KS - I good wind blocking layer is key. I run hot, but when on-stand I get cold, having layers to add is the key for me staying on stand all day. I run an entire First Lite set up and it works well for me and has a fantastic cut for bow hunting.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
Jay hawk,

Anything you see you would change? I could ditch one of the puffy coats (probably EB) and add a Jetstream coat as well?

FURMAN

WKR
You obviously are going to get different opinions. I love soft shells but would NEVER use one sitting in a tree stand. I am not sure how cold blooded you are but when it gets into the teens I need all the warmth I can get. Even all day sits in 30 degree weather I would freeze with a soft-shell. I would ditch the vest as well. I personally would want something heavier than the kelvin lite available. As mentioned it may not even be cold but when the rut is on you need to be in the stand. If it is cold you will want some warmer clothing. I would have a the kelvin, lost park parka, or the chamberlain. Some of the gear you might buy would be dictated by your other types of hunting. Cabelas makes some super warm stuff that is cheaper but not light and not packable. It would be great for stand hunting but suck for western hunting.

I pheasant hunt in western Kansas near liberal. Early October to early November so a little earlier in the year. As said above temps do vary a lot. Shorts and tee shirts some years. Below freezing others so be prepared for a range.

One thing I would say from my whitetail experience back east is hunt what you have. What you listed should get you through fine.

You have some good gear. There is a better than average chance you will be out there with a bunch of bubbas in carharts who will be warm and hunting just fine. Go have not and then tweak based on whether you go again and how often.

Bibs and purpose built whitetail gear are great for static and stationary hutning in a stand or blind but they won’t be as versatile as other gear so it is a big cost for a fairly narrow application IMO. Now if you plan to do a good bit of stand hunting in the cold then make the investment in some good gear that is built for that purpose.

Wacm

FNG
I’d take every piece of hunting clothing you have. Last year we were in western Kansas from oct 27-nov 12. It was pretty cold, a couple days were really cold. Lows in the high 20’s with 15-20 mph winds in your face. I use cabelas cold weather system with UA 4.0 base layer, with about two more layers in between. Bring lots of Hot hands and a warm hat. There have been years when I bring 50lbs of clothes and don’t use five pieces of it but there have been a couple years I almost didn’t have enough. You never know.

LostArra

WKR
You obviously are going to get different opinions. I love soft shells but would NEVER use one sitting in a tree stand. I am not sure how cold blooded you are but when it gets into the teens I need all the warmth I can get. Even all day sits in 30 degree weather I would freeze with a soft-shell. I would ditch the vest as well. I personally would want something heavier than the kelvin lite available. As mentioned it may not even be cold but when the rut is on you need to be in the stand. If it is cold you will want some warmer clothing. I would have a the kelvin, lost park parka, or the chamberlain. Some of the gear you might buy would be dictated by your other types of hunting. Cabelas makes some super warm stuff that is cheaper but not light and not packable. It would be great for stand hunting but suck for western hunting.

My adult daughter and I were bow hunting in treestands last season in single digits. We wore similar base (heavy merino) and midlayers (Montbell thermawrap) while she wore womens Fanatic and I had my old Cabelas Wooltimate. We were both warm. She always saw more deer and killed a nice buck but I had money to buy dinner while Sitka left her broke.

Trial153

WKR
I have hunted KS the last four November’s, I would guess about 45 days total. In that time I used my Fanatic and incinerator series for 7 days.
I run hot and don’t easily get cold so take this for what it’s worth, I think you can most likely get by fine with your list.

Lawnboi

WKR
Only thing I'd caution against is layering puffy on puffy can be loud. Recent sitka puffy pieces have been made with a little quieter material, but just something to be aware of. If anything layer the pieces and check the noise prior to purchase.

You want quiet. And windproof on stand.

Imo footwear is where most guys freeze. Get boots that will keep you warm and figure out how to mitigate any moisture from the hike in.

I have no experience in Kansas, but spend a lot of cold days in a tree.

Btaylor

WKR
Only thing I'd caution against is layering puffy on puffy can be loud. Recent sitka puffy pieces have been made with a little quieter material, but just something to be aware of. If anything layer the pieces and check the noise prior to purchase.

You want quiet. And windproof on stand.

Imo footwear is where most guys freeze. Get boots that will keep you warm and figure out how to mitigate any moisture from the hike in.

I have no experience in Kansas, but spend a lot of cold days in a tree.

Hit the nail for sure with the whole boot deal. My feet and hands get cold easily and that is my issue long before the rest of the body gets too cold.

i think what you got is fine. get a windproof stocking cap, stock up on hot hands, and figure out your footwear situation. cold feet used to run me off the stand before anything else.

bwlacy

WKR
If you need some cheap warm boots look for Army surplus Mikey mouse boots. They suck to walk much in, but are really warm with a good heavy wool sock.

If your Cabela's stuff is wind proof, then I think you should be fine with what you have. Make sure you have a good hat and gloves you can shoot in. Put most of your gear on at the base of the tree. Stick hand warmers on your kidneys and inner thighs if you have to. They work great at keeping the core warm. They sell stick on body warmers. I've used them for years.

Last year in Iowa the first week of November the wind chills were below 0 every morning. Some of the coldest sits I've ever had. Face, hands, and feet are the first thing to get really cold.

Have a great hunt!

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
So I have changed what I think I will wear.

Tops: long sleeve 250 merino
Hw Sitka hoody
Kenai puffy
Mountain headwear wind blocker fleece
Jetstream or cabelas windsheer fleece

Bottoms:

Midweight merino
Hw poly baselayer
90% pant
Cabela windsheer fleece

Ditched the Kelvin lite (sold them)
May pick up some original Kelvin if I can find some.

Also on the look out for another fleece pant to layer over the 90% if needed

slick trick

Lil-Rokslider
I dont know how cold tour feet get but when I am in Kansas and in the stand my feet freeze, I have the Artic boot covers, love them and you can through in a hand warmers and really get them warm

mcseal2

WKR
I work on a ranch in Kansas. I don't currently bow hunt (have in the past) but rifle hunt predators and deer in Kansas and other game out west, plus work every day outside. It's hard to over dress for sitting still in a tree exposed to the wind. It is so much different than a hunt where you will be active to generate heat at least part of the time. Even when trying to call a bobcat and sitting nearly motionless for 45 minutes to an hour the chill starts setting in. My buddy from northern Wyoming that comes and hunts with me freezes in Kansas if it's in the low 40's with a bit of wind and humidity. He thinks the moisture in the air makes it feel so much colder than the temp. I agree in the dry cold hunting with him I need way less layers than I think I should. My first trip up there I cooked myself when it was in the 20's and I didn't have a pack big enough to fit all my layers in when I wanted to shed them.

I typically walk in as far as possible on a Kansas hunt and use the last "safe" bit of concealment where I can make a bit more noise to stop and put on my puffy pants and jacket. I then sneak in slowly to not sweat and slip into my spot.

I'm not familiar with all the wind fleeces you have so I won't critique your system. I'll list what mine would typically be and let you decide, I'll probably help you more that way. Weather is all over the board in Kansas so I won't wear or take all of this every day, but I would want it available when I watch the weather each morning so I could pick what I want for the day. Always have more than you think you need.

1 First Lite Aerowool half zip
2 Have used FL Sawtooth, Sitka Core HW or FL Halstead, bought Kuiu Peloton 240 for this year
3 Sitka Mountain Vest (light wind stopper layer)

I'll wear some combination of those on my upper body walking in, the rest will be in the pack typically
4 Kifaru Lost Park Puffy
5 Kryptek Dalibor II or Sitka Mountain jacket (sometimes the mountain jacket under the Dalibor II as a wind stopper)

BOTTOM
1 FL Aerowool underwear, Darn Tough or Thorlo merino socks
2 Merino base layer
3 Kuiu Kenai puffy pants (zip on at last stop)
4 FL Obsidian pants, heavier Kryptek or Sitka pants or Sitka Celcius bibs

I'm not backpacking so I'll always use a softshell in Kansas for a quiet outer jacket and pant. In the past before I had all this for western hunts I used the Cabelas Wooltimate stuff that worked well but was very hot to walk in. I'd sweat walking in and then not dry off quick like the new stuff. I have warm zip on boot covers I picked up last year, like a puffy that fits over my hunting boots, that are a great item for my December deer hunts. They are slick on the bottom to walk in but really warm. If I have to move a few steps with them on I'm careful doing it. Before having those I cut a piece out of a cheap foam saddle pad that I would put my feet on to keep them insulated from below. I also use warm gloves over a liner or thinner softshell glove. I use either the Aleyeskan rag wool gloves or the Kuiu down glassing mittens. I want something loose fitting over a liner that I can slip off easily when I need my hands. I rifle hunt so I pack a HPG Mountain Serape too I can throw over everything for December deer hunts. It creates another wind barrier and dead air space. Last I always have a merino or fleece baclava or face mask I can wear. Usually the lighter FL merino one is enough for my face but I'll use a heavier fleece one at times.

It seems crazy even to me at times but I'll have my Exo 3500 a lot closer to full for a day hunt in Kansas than one out west. I get cold sitting still and I'm not walking that far, so I'd rather have the layers than shiver. I'm a more effective hunter when comfortable, more alert and more motionless. Hunting coyotes really taught me how much more successful I can be the less I move, and whitetail spot movement pretty well also. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited: