If you had to choose one early season pant for elk?

K_pem

WKR
So currently i have the FL obsidians which i ran all last early season, year without issue, as well as the Sitka Mountain pants. I know lots of people run the mountain year round without issue but i get extremely hot in them here in N. Idaho summer heat. Hence why i bought the obsidians last year, which are definitely cooler and lighter, but also more fragile. Im ot sure i would trust them as my only pair of pants in a backcountry situation.

Which brings me to either the new Sitka Apex or the FL corrugate guide pants. I have felt and tried on the guides and like how light they are, i havent ever tried on the apex. Looking at possible other options?

Jbehredt

WKR
I have the mtns, Kanab 2s, and corrugates. If I had to keep just one pair it would be the corrugates. Kanabs are for HOT trips. Mtns for late season. Corrugates are my the Goldilocks pants.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Thats exactly the response i was looking for. I used my obsidians till about october and at that point i was wearing full length merino bases under them. I feel like i can still use my obsidians for day trips early season and scouting. But i need those reliable lighter pants for backcountry scenarios.

Now i just need to find out if the apex will fit the bill of the corrugates better than they do. The alturas guides i bought for the lady last season and i gotta admit im really impressed with how well theyve held up and how breathable they must be, cause she wears long bases and tall socks year round lol. My understanding is that the apex set isnt so much different from the mountain pants... so if thats the case the corrugates would be my answer.

Jbehredt

WKR
Sounds like my wife. Alturas and long johns all day. She says they’re for big defense. The apex are intriguing but I’ll need to wear out my corrugates before pant shopping.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Hahaha idc what theyre for i just cant imagine hiking around here in 90+ degree heat with long johns on!

Luckily for me i have a good hookup on both brands, but i only want to buy one pair of pants. I suppose i could buy both and sell the other on here.

Trial153

WKR
I would go with either a previous version of the ascents( I like them so much that I have two new pair stashed away plus the one I am using) or a prana Zion.
The new version of the Ascents I can’t get to fit no matter what I do, I haven’t bought the apex pants as they look a little to skinny for me ..however the apex Hoody material is kick ass.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
The hoodie and the pants arent made of the same materials are they? If so that would be sweet! Im not worried about fit too much as i fit in most of the "athletic cut" or whatever they want to call it pretty well. (5'9" 185-190 athletic build)

I have tried out the ascents of my buddies in the past and i wasnt impressed. He wore through them pretty quickly too. North Idaho brush busting is kind of tough on them.

Hence why i bought the obsidians last year, which are definitely cooler and lighter, but also more fragile. Im ot sure i would trust them as my only pair of pants in a backcountry situation.

Not sure why you couldn't trust the Obsidians in a backcountry situation. They seem at least as durable as the Kenabs, which I've used busting brush with no issues. If you're truly worried about durability, just get some Prana Stretch Zions and stop worrying. Zions are pretty much indestructible under normal hunting use.

Mmcan

WKR
FL Corrugate.
I miss the knee pad that my Kuiu's have. But that has never been a deal maker or breaker.

I have one pant, Costco travel pant.

I've got more then one pants but, take what he just said to heart. My persoanl advice is Don't buy the wrangler performance wear. Don't buy the prana's. Don't buy the corrugates or Sitka anything until you buy the Union Bay travel pants. They are extremely comfortable, extremely breathable and regulate temperature well. Plus, they are affordable and long wearing. At worst, if you do this, you have picked up a really nice pair of pants that you can use for formal wear or work/hunting pants

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
anyone have a link for these costco travel pants? the only one i see on their website are Greg Norman?

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I have a few pairs of the costco UB pants! Ive found them to be more formal than rugged. I wear them all the time everyday wear, maybe ill give them a go scouting this year. The only colors theyve had at my costco is navy, black, grey and a real light khaki. If they were available in a brown or green that would be sweet.

I should add that as far as money is concerned, i can get the corrugates for about $90

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Not sure why you couldn't trust the Obsidians in a backcountry situation. They seem at least as durable as the Kenabs, which I've used busting brush with no issues. If you're truly worried about durability, just get some Prana Stretch Zions and stop worrying. Zions are pretty much indestructible under normal hunting use.

They have some pilling stuff on them and a small tear from just the one season. Im not sure why i just feel theyre too flimsy. Maybe if i had a repair kit handy id consider early season overnight but i just dont trust them haha. Corrugates seem much tougher

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hahaha idc what theyre for i just cant imagine hiking around here in 90+ degree heat with long johns on!

Not "long johns"........base layers.;)

I wear my lightweight merino base layers under my camo even in 100 degree temps while hunting. They are 100% for sweat control and staying comfortable.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
Not "long johns"........base layers.;)

I wear my lightweight merino base layers under my camo even in 100 degree temps while hunting. They are 100% for sweat control and staying comfortable.

Lol you know what i meant.

I also wear baselayers underneath my pants but i will swap out for a boxer or 3/4 length with tall socks pushed down

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wore Prana Zion Stretch pants in WY last October. I also wpre them during our turkey season this Spring. I like the material, but there’s a lot of improvements that need to be made to these pants. They aren’t a very durable pant, either.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I wore Prana Zion Stretch pants in WY last October. I also wpre them during our turkey season this Spring. I like the material, but there’s a lot of improvements that need to be made to these pants. They aren’t a very durable pant, either.

Yeah ive looked at them and i can get the corrugates for not a whole lot more, and the apex for about $40 more, so its hard not to justify them.

JD619er

WKR
I’ve had kuiu attacks tiburons, old and new Sitka ascents, Prana Zion’s, Kuhl renegades, and first lite kanabs and corrugates. For a solid color the prana as can’t be beat for the price and they’re quiet and no shine. The kanabs are amazing as far as how they regulate temperature I laying wool under them down to 30 degrees even. Held up really well for me too. The new Sitka ascents to me are my favorite of all of these. They’re super lite, dry faster than any pant I’ve ever worn and actually buck the wind decent while still breathing extremely well. There’s no dwr which I think leads to the breath ability some guys hate not having dwr but these pants dry so fast I don’t feel you need it.