Rain gear?

Cdpp880

WKR
I am looking for a rain gear set for backpack hunting. Does not have to be a camo set. Just want something in a natural color. Most of my hunting will be in October. I would like something that is durable, waterproof and lightweight. I know all of those together is tough to do without getting really expensive. I do not want to worry about getting soaked or a jacket that is too fragile. I am fine taking a small weight penalty for something that is not going to soak through in a few hours of rain. Along with something that is not going to rip hiking through brush. I get pretty good prices on a few of the mountaineering companies and would look at most of them first but does not have to be. I have been looking at outdoor research, north face, HH just to name a few.
So what would you recommend? Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
Any recommendations for some tough rain gear that won’t break the bank?

K_pem

WKR
Id say your biggest obstacle will be deciding how tough your rain gear needs to be. There are great super lightweight options out there that'll keep you dry, but wont stand up to brush. Conversely there is some bombproof rain gear, but it wont be very pack-able or lightweight.

I know OR makes some good stuff. I currently just have the Cabelas space rain and for my purposes (waiting out quick storms) it hasn't failed me yet. But if i were hunting in an environment where i was living in the rain i would want something like the Sitka storm front maybe the cloudburst or FL Seek. I'm looking at those 3 as options for an Alaska black-tail hunt in august. My buddy has the KUIU Yukon set and its about as tough as it gets, he swears by it.

I use army surplus rain gear. I am not a backpack hunter but it’s affordable 3layer gortex I have sat all day in a downpour and stayed dry except for my hands. I need water proof gloves of some kind.

I have three sets of Kuiu rain gear (Teton, Chugach, and Yukon), and they all get used, but the Chugach for sure gets the most use. I don't think Kuiu makes any of them in a solid color anymore though.

I have the Chugach and the Yukon as well. I will reiterate troutbum's statement that my Chugach gets used the most. If they could make the Chugach in a solid color that would be sweet!

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am looking for a rain gear set for backpack hunting. Does not have to be a camo set. Just want something in a natural color. Most of my hunting will be in October. I would like something that is durable, waterproof and lightweight. I know all of those together is tough to do without getting really expensive. I do not want to worry about getting soaked or a jacket that is too fragile. I am fine taking a small weight penalty for something that is not going to soak through in a few hours of rain. Along with something that is not going to rip hiking through brush. I get pretty good prices on a few of the mountaineering companies and would look at most of them first but does not have to be. I have been looking at outdoor research, north face, HH just to name a few.
So what would you recommend? Thanks.

The Sitka cloudburst. It is a Gortex material and comes in the subalpine and open country patterns. It is a great jacket and super packable. I usually run this jacket if I know it is going to rain. I think for October hunting I would go with the open country that's when everything is turning brown and the leaves are falling at least fir here in Colorado. I mean if you're wanting to save money you can get a flash pullover it's not Gortex, but it is very light weight and if it does rain for a few hours you'll stay fairly dry.

Last edited:
OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
Thanks, I went today and looked at a few different jackets. The one I liked the most was the north face apex flex gts jacket. It was a little on the heavy side but not what I consider crazy heavy. I can get it at a great price. I would really like to know how this compares to the outdoor research foray. Anybody handled both that could elaborate the differences. How do y’all feel about just plain black rain gear? Not going to be used for bow hunting just rifle and fishing.

Tick

WKR
Thanks, I went today and looked at a few different jackets. The one I liked the most was the north face apex flex gts jacket. It was a little on the heavy side but not what I consider crazy heavy. I can get it at a great price. I would really like to know how this compares to the outdoor research foray. Anybody handled both that could elaborate the differences. How do y’all feel about just plain black rain gear? Not going to be used for bow hunting just rifle and fishing.

I stay away from brown or black clothes during hunting seasons in public land. I just don't trust all hunters to verify the target. I have had the OR Horizon in short downpours and stayed dry. It is an inexpensive lightweight shell but so far seems reasonably resistant to tears. I haven't busted brush trying to really test it.

OP
C

Cdpp880

WKR
I’m going to be wearing blaze orange anyway so how much can brown or black make a difference.

slowelk

WKR
Outdoor Research Foray jacket and pants are likely a good buy. Both are goretex, and reasonably packable and lightweight. I have the jacket, but not the pants - $215 (retail) for a goretex jacket is hard to argue with for value.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had the first lite SEAK jacket now for a year. I used it with no damage on Afognak last fall so that was a pretty good test. comparing to the Kuiu yukon is is not quite as durable but still very durable. Its bulky but not as bulky as the yukons as well. i think its a good compromise jacket. kinda spendy though. i have yet to get wet in it and have been in some bad storms. also use it fishing in some rough weather. all good so far. It also comes in earth tones.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sitka Dewpoint line is not cheap, but of all the rain gear I have tested and used it is my favorite. OR has some great options for casual use, but the Sitka stuff is pretty bomb proof for extended hunts. My buddies and I have pushed the limits on that stuff many times in the AK high country. Extended brush busting is about the toughest test on rain gear. Its been my experience that pretty much all breathable fabrics start to wet through when they are muddy and constantly "pushed on." That pressure and muck is rough on gear! With that said I've busted through a few brush patches in my Dewpoint and its held up fine. One of the key features to look for (IMO) is how fast it dries out once saturated. Some materials are much better at that than others.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
The question is where are you hunting? W Washington, Alaska, or the need for the ocational downpour in ID or NV. If its the later I'd go with Cabelas space rain gear, great packability and seems to do the job. If you more than likely in the rain daily you might want to step it up and get the "buy once cry once" gear people have suggested. I use Yukon pants and FL seek jacket and it hasnt let me down. If your a bulldog you can pick great gear up at a resonable price by constantly checking classifieds and facebook pages. Call Barney's in Anchorage, they might still have a SEAK jacket at 40% off. Did that about 2 mos. ago and also got my solid Yukon pants from classified ad in the midwest somewhere.

jr87mustang

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Chugach and the Yukon as well. I will reiterate troutbum's statement that my Chugach gets used the most. If they could make the Chugach in a solid color that would be sweet!

I instant messaged Kuiu just a couple days ago asking about solid color rain gear and they said it is coming in the next couple of months.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Bates,

score!!

Thanks for sharing! I love these rain pants. I wore a pair out and didn't want to spend the money on a new pair.

I'm in for two.