open country vs subalpine

hey guys im looking at the mountain pant in open country with core heavyweight hoody and a jacket or the apex series pants and top. any huge difference you guys have noticed between the two patterns? ill be hunting island park Idaho this September and using them for some whitetail and turkey back in MA. I like the sub alpine for turkey better which I rarely do and I like the open country for marsh hunting deer which I do a lot of. will it make that much of a difference in Idaho if I run the open country in vegetated terrain or sub alpine in non vegetated. im tempted to run my whitetail setup in Idaho I have the equinox pants for early season core lightweight and fanatic hoody with a stratus jacket, any downside to this??

FlyGuy

WKR
I have not seen the apex in person yet, but.as far as camo goes either will be fine. While one pattern may be designed for a certain environment, any of them work and it's pretty much impossible to tell if one works better or not. It all comes down to movement. No camo will keep you from getting busted if they see you moving or skyline you; and conversely any camo (or even solids!) will keep you concealed they don't.

So, pick the camo that you like best and don't swear it (IMO).

Instead, I would advise you to pay much more attention to the functionality of the clothing for your intended purpose. With Sitka, the purpose does seem to align with the patterns more and more. The sub-alpine stuff absolutely seems to function better for turkey and archery elk. Several pieces like the apex pant and hoody, and the vest made to hold calls and whatnot are only available in that pattern (maybe they will expand it to solids or OC, but probably not as it's a great way to get someone like me to cross over and have to buy an entire new system so that my camo matches. HAHA).

Meanwhile their whitetail line used elevated and, while I have no experience with these, they are all designed to function well in long sits in a treestand more so than for anything else.

There is plenty of crossover ability of course, but primarily each line is designed around a type or style of hunting, including the camo used. I primarily have OC and waterfowl. I use the OC for all my mtn hunts and warm weather deer hunts here in TX. The camo works just fine for either; But if it gets cold down here I freeze in it as it's designed to be used on the move, not sitting perfectly still for 6 hours after a long trek in.

Sorry I got a bit long winded there, but hopefully all that makes sense. These are big purchases so I understand not wanting to take them lightly. Call up or PM some of the forum sponsors that are also Sitka distributors and they can dial you in even better. Good luck with your hunts this Fall!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Jardo

WKR
I agree with everything flyguy said. Camo color is for human eyes, not four legged deer and elk eyes. Movement is more problematic than camo pattern and color. The best elk hunter I know kills elk every year in blue jeans and cowboy boots.

I use sub alpine for my warm weather an OC for mid to late season elk. Not so much because of color and pattern, but more because the individual items in each pattern are best suited for the weather and conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
I used the equinox pants, jacket and core light hoody in CO opening week last year and it worked great. The equinox pants and the mountain pants in OC which I got this year are almost identical as far as weight and feel. I cant speak to the Apex stuff.

Several pieces like the apex pant and hoody, and the vest made to hold calls and whatnot are only available in that pattern (maybe they will expand it to solids or OC, but probably not as it's a great way to get someone like me to cross over and have to buy an entire new system so that my camo matches. HAHA).

I hate this, and love it at the same time.