Kryptek Ragnar vs. Alaois (and "new" Alaois coming this Fall)

sbsyncro

FNG
For Father's Day my wife got me a pair of Kryptek Ragnar pants. Unfortunately she accidentally got the "Tall" version, so I returned them, only to find that they are out of stock in my size (they are discontinued).

I have the Valhalla for mid-summer/fall bird & pig hunts, and was looking for something for cooler weather (say down into the mid 40s) and the Dalibor is definitely too heavy. The guys at Kryptek recommended the Alaois, but then I find out that they are out of stock in my size too since they are discontinued and being replaced by a new version "in July/August".

So... Since I don't need them until Fall anyway I'll probably wait, but I'm worried that the Alaois might be too heavy. I'm looking for something to get me through cool 45º mornings that can turn into 65º days, and could be layered over a merino base layer for colder weather. I'm hunting central CA mostly, so I'm not dealing with snow (99% of the time).

I've never held a pair of the Alaois; any thoughts on The Alaois versus the Ragnar for my situation? Also, does anyone have any idea about the "new" Alaois and what the differences might be?

Thanks in advance

I have a pair of them and hunt in CA. They are definitely warmer than the Valhalla, but also much more durable. I love the pocket layout and the ability to use knee pads. I used them in the fall in B Zone. A little warm when hiking in the 60’s. I think they are a good medium weight pant that you can wear down to cooler temps with a base layer. Hope this helps

Honestly when I’m hunting areas with lots of oak and stickers I tend to like the slightly heavier pants even when it’s hot. I prefer using lighter pants like the Valhala when I’m up higher in the D zones above the oaks. Again I think you will like the Alaois if 5he new ones are similar to the old. Just wish other companies besides Kuiu would use the thigh zips, solves a lot of temp issues, for me anyway

OP
S

sbsyncro

FNG
Honestly when I’m hunting areas with lots of oak and stickers I tend to like the slightly heavier pants even when it’s hot. I prefer using lighter pants like the Valhala when I’m up higher in the D zones above the oaks. Again I think you will like the Alaois if 5he new ones are similar to the old. Just wish other companies besides Kuiu would use the thigh zips, solves a lot of temp issues, for me anyway

Thanks. oak/manzanita/stickers are when Carhartt double front cargo pants are the ticket - the stickers seem to just bounce off those suckers!