Help need new pants

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a pair for hunting and hiking. My fav is an old [now ragy] military surplus thin green wool . I could were them in the summer alone and 1 or 2 layers under them for the coldest days. I have only looked at the Kuiu attack pros. Thy look good but will they hold up for years or should I be looking at other brands on the market? The wools were quiet and tough , 2 things i find important.

My opinion is the regular kuiu attack is one of the most versatile pants out there right now. The hip vents make a huge difference in the range of temperatures and activity levels you can be comfortable in. They will be a little much for hard hiking 75 plus but almost any pant out there except the kuiu tiburon will be. The attack have been plenty durable for me and don’t have any marks unless I do something that should cause harm to the pants. I have prana Zion’s but they are too thin for much below 40 maybe into 30’s and they don’t do that well in the heat for me and make more fabric noise than the attacks. I’ve tried Mountain pants and ascents and you feel like you are cooking from the inside out in heat they just don’t breathe that well compared to others. I tried the alpines for a season but always felt kind of cold and clammy especially with wind or cold.

I will second that vote for the attack pants from KUIU. Definitely, the best pair of pants I have ever hunted in and I've used several different brands. My only suggestion is to add the merino wool long underwear that zip down the legs. Great for the extra cold mornings and easy on and off when the temps are fluctuating.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am looking for a pair for hunting and hiking. My fav is an old [now ragy] military surplus thin green wool . I could were them in the summer alone and 1 or 2 layers under them for the coldest days. I have only looked at the Kuiu attack pros. Thy look good but will they hold up for years or should I be looking at other brands on the market? The wools were quiet and tough , 2 things i find important.

I think the New Sitka apex pants would be great to look into. They are a merino blend and are super light weight, but tough enough to take a beating. They are very quiet and they feel just like a normal pant. I like them a little better than the ascents not just because of the fit they are a more versatile pant in my opinion. If you could with the right base layers they could work for rifle season. Its a really good in-between for the mountain and ascents.

I think the New Sitka apex pants would be great to look into. They are a merino blend and are super light weight, but tough enough to take a beating. They are very quiet and they feel just like a normal pant. I like them a little better than the ascents not just because of the fit they are a more versatile pant in my opinion. If you could with the right base layers they could work for rifle season. Its a really good in-between for the mountain and ascents.

I couldn’t find anything that says the Apex pant is a merino blend. The site says it’s a poly bonded to a micro fleece interior. Your post piqued my interest because of my love for merino. . Is it possible you were thinking of another pant?

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I couldn’t find anything that says the Apex pant is a merino blend. The site says it’s a poly bonded to a micro fleece interior. Your post piqued my interest because of my love for merino. . Is it possible you were thinking of another pant?

I just checked the tag myself, and you're right, they are not a merino blend. Not sure what I was thinking. I would still recommend the Apex pants though for the increased versatility.