Clothing Layering Plan - Please Critique

ceadmin

FNG
I'm going on my first "western" hunt for Antelope in WY this October. Here is what I put together to purchase for my layering system (I have some of the immediate layers already):

Base
FL Merino LW and MW Bottoms
FL Merino short T
FL Merino 1/4 Zip Top

Mid
KUIU Attack Pant
Sitka Core Heavyweight

Insulation
FL Uncompahgre Vest
FL Cirrus??

Outer
Sitka Timberline Soft Shell
Kryptek Poseidon II Rain Jacket
Kryptek Poseidon II Rain Pant

Accessories
All-Leather Gloves
Liner Gloves?? (touch sensitive)
Heavier Gloves??
Beanie?? (small head) (Lighter and heavier?)
FL Neck Gaiter

Boots
Schnee's Outlook EVO or Timberline??
Danner Pronghorn (backup pair)

The ?? have not been decided on yet, but will be over the next month. The rest I have narrowed it down to. Love to hear your thoughts...

Last edited:

Gorp2007

WKR
Are you backpacking in or hunting from the road? I ask because that seems like there are some areas where you can reduce weight if you're backpacking in. I'd just settle on a single weight for your lower base layers and I prefer the uncompahgre to the cirrus because it has a hood. The utility of a softshell when you already have a puffy and a rain shell is a matter of personal preference, but if you're not backpacking in then I'd bring it along.

ericF

WKR
If it is anything like the last two years, all you will be wearing is the Attack Pants, and the 1/4 zip top. You have your bases covered which is good, but you probably won't need most of it if the weather trend continues.

OP
C

ceadmin

FNG
Thanks! I'm setting up a base camp and daypacking in as we are going into areas with little public land access so going to have to huff it a mile or two. I wanted a spread so I could bring with me enough to divide into the daypack for 10-90 deg during the hunt. :) Thanks and keep it coming if you can think of anything else.

Jardo

WKR
I would consider some gaiters. Especially if busting through miles of sage.

You got all other bases covered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rwbrew3

WKR
I would consider a zip off bottom, especially if packing, no mention of socks, i would get good socks and some layering socks, your feet are going to sweat regardless of temp, need something to keep you feet dry..