Sitka Set up Advice, Final Piece

I'm looking to add one last piece to my Sitka gear. September elk hunts in CO are the main use. I'm wanting to add the Kelvin Active Jacket and replace the Heavyweight Hoody, but wanted advice before doing so. I have listed my upper body set up below.

Base layer- Merino Long Sleeve, UA Long Sleeve, Core Lightweight Hoody
Midlayer- Core Heavyweight Hoody, Possibly replaced by the Kelvin Active Jacket??
Insulation- Jetstream Jacket
Rain gear- Thunderhead Jacket

Thanks in advance.

JD619er

WKR
Hey man I don’t mean any offense and you have some nice pieces of gear but it seems like you have a lot of layers. I think you could simplify your kit a lot if you went with just one base layer. The heavyweight hoody as a mid layer and the Kelvin active as your insulation. Your rain jacket can replace the Jetstream as an outer layer/windstopper and the thunderhead is pretty quiet. This type of layering system is what most guys tend to use and it cuts your weight down dramatically. Hope this helps.....

JD619er

WKR
No problem man. There is a thousand ways to build a system but you have to find what works for you if you hunting from a base camp and aren’t concern as much about weight then you can be way more flexible but if your packing in I would definitely try to put together the pieces that perform more than one function

K_pem

WKR
As was previously mentioned i would cut down on layers. September can be a hard time to layer for because of the wide ranges of temps but i personally would consider adding either the jetstream vest or the mountain vest. I love having a light vest, its so versatile to wear over a t shirt or layered under/over an insulation piece. Also consider adding a merino short sleeve option or a lighter option.

If i had your setup it would look something like this.

Merino long sleeve (or add short)
Core light or heavyweight depending on how cold your expecting or subtract it completely
Kelvin active for mornings
Mountain vest (added)
Thunderhead for rain/cold.

With that setup i would say you'd be ready to do multiple days just about anywhere.

While I love my jetstream, I wouldn’t call it an insulation layer. Too thin. It does great with a heavy fleece or even a puffy underneath but alone it isn’t lined enough to provide a ton of warmth.

FlyGuy

WKR
As was previously mentioned i would cut down on layers. September can be a hard time to layer for because of the wide ranges of temps but i personally would consider adding either the jetstream vest or the mountain vest. I love having a light vest, its so versatile to wear over a t shirt or layered under/over an insulation piece. Also consider adding a merino short sleeve option or a lighter option.

If i had your setup it would look something like this.

Merino long sleeve (or add short)
Core light or heavyweight depending on how cold your expecting or subtract it completely
Kelvin active for mornings
Mountain vest (added)
Thunderhead for rain/cold.

With that setup i would say you'd be ready to do multiple days just about anywhere.
This is very close to what I use. It's less than what you think.

- Core light weight hoody (or shirt)
- Heavy weight hoody
- Jetstream vest (will trade for mtn jacket if I know I'll need more wind protection)

Those three work great for 95% of the day. Depending on weather and planned activity I may have a dewpoint in my bag and either the Kelvin light vest, hoody, or jacket. The dewpoint is only worn in rain or for added wind protection. The kelvin pieces are almost never worn during daylight hours in September except around camp. (I don't do much glassing for elk).

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

K_pem

WKR
Personally i love my FL Sawtooth as the ultimate mid layer due to its design and insulation mapping. I usually do this:

Merino Aerowool t shirt
Sawtooth
Jetstream vest
Dobson Aerowool boxer
Obsidian pants
Cabelas space rain gear

Sometimes i will throw my Sitka 1/4 zip merino in my bag just in case if i know i'm gonna be away all day or in bad weather. And as it gets colder i will change to my 1/2 zip Wilkins base and throw in my Uncompagrhe puffy, eventually upgrading to my Jetstream jacket as the winter sets in. For bottoms ill slowly upgrade to the 3/4 length Glenbrook Aerowool bottoms under my Obsidians and once its cold enough switch to my Sitka Mountain pants with full length Sitka merino bottoms.

One piece i'm really kicking around is getting the mountain vest for September. The Jetstream does great but can get warm with a pack on. Ive also had my eye on the FL Corrugate guide pants/jacket for early season and protection of the Sawtooth.

huntcoop

WKR
While I love my jetstream, I wouldn’t call it an insulation layer. Too thin. It does great with a heavy fleece or even a puffy underneath but alone it isn’t lined enough to provide a ton of warmth.

What sizes are you running? I wear an XL Jetstream and can't fit a XL puffy underneath...…..did you downsize your puffy or heavy fleece to fit under the Jetstream?

bates

WKR
you could probably replace both the lightweight and heavy hoody with an Apex Hoodie

also look at the kelvin lite hoody for a puffy, i wouldn't want a softshell - jetstream on a backpack hunt

the beauty of the kelvin active is its super quiet and you can wear it and move around... but if its not cold enough for it i would rather have a more typical puffy in my pack than it. i just feel that in september if you are hiking hard with a pack i would be too warm then when you did stop it doesnt block wind, i love it but its a different piece

but if do go kelvin active then i do think you will need a wind-blocker i would go mtn vest or jacket.

I am new to sitka and have limited in field experience so i am also building my set up

core lightweight, heavy and apex hoody
core lightweight shirts
kelvin active
stormfront

it worked great on a bear hunt but i needed a windblocker and got a bit of a chill while sitting for long periods

JD619er

WKR
you could probably replace both the lightweight and heavy hoody with an Apex Hoodie

also look at the kelvin lite hoody for a puffy, i wouldn't want a softshell - jetstream on a backpack hunt

the beauty of the kelvin active is its super quiet and you can wear it and move around... but if its not cold enough for it i would rather have a more typical puffy in my pack than it. i just feel that in september if you are hiking hard with a pack i would be too warm then when you did stop it doesnt block wind, i love it but its a different piece

but if do go kelvin active then i do think you will need a wind-blocker i would go mtn vest or jacket.

I am new to sitka and have limited in field experience so i am also building my set up

core lightweight, heavy and apex hoody
core lightweight shirts
kelvin active
stormfront

it worked great on a bear hunt but i needed a windblocker and got a bit of a chill while sitting for long periods

That is exactly where the thunderhead jacket comes in. It’s a brushed faced material and is super quiet. It totally replaces a wind blocker especially for sitting still.