To Buy or Not to Buy a Softshell, That is the Question

bozeman

WKR
OK, so I have read/searched many threads on softshells......for archery hunting NW CO in late Sept.....have a core lightweight and heavyweight hoodie to wear.....is there a need for protection with a softshell option? Never owned one, was looking at the Kryptek Cadog (on camofire) and not make a major $$ purchase; also looking at the Columbia Ascender on Cabelas (on sale) for this. Just looking for those who wear these and not. Thanks in advance fellas.

Bozeman

bsnedeker

WKR
OK, so I have read/searched many threads on softshells......for archery hunting NW CO in late Sept.....have a core lightweight and heavyweight hoodie to wear.....is there a need for protection with a softshell option? Never owned one, was looking at the Kryptek Cadog (on camofire) and not make a major $$ purchase; also looking at the Columbia Ascender on Cabelas (on sale) for this. Just looking for those who wear these and not. Thanks in advance fellas.

Bozeman

You will either want a softshell and a good rainjacket, or a good puffy jacket. I was in NW CO last year and didn't take a good insulating layer with me. I was fine during the day, but due to a rainstorm I got caught out under a tree one night and it was extremely unpleasant. This year I'm bringing my softshell along with my hoodie and rainjacket as well as a Sitka vest. Next year I'll probably ditch the vest and softshell and upgrade to a good puffy jacket to replace them both, just not in the budget this year.

Trial153

WKR
My jetstream is my most used jaceket

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I think it depends. If you want lightweight and the most versatile, carry a puffy and a hard shell rain jacket. I would not pick a soft shell before either of those. But, there are certain scenarios where the soft shell is perfect. I'll probably pick up another Kuiu Guide jacket at some point when they go on sale...

N2TRKYS

WKR
I carry a puffy and a raincoat in my pack. That works out better for me. More often than not, I don't put my puffy on. It just doesn't feel as cold out there as it does here to me.

I run a soft shell, base layer, and rain jacket. I currently have a Mountain Hardwear Dragon, which is the most wind/water resistant soft shell you can find for a decent price IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
I love a soft shell for day hunts. But won't usually pack on in for extended back pack trips. They're definitely nice when it's really cold. At least for me.

In a lot of places I go, its not particularly cold (35-60) but usually windy. I've fond that a light softshell over a baselayer is about perfect. I can add a thin fleece midlayer or peel the sofshell if I get too warm. With a good DWR on the softshell, I can through some light rain with no issue. I have run the OR ferrosi hoody with good results but will try the Peloton 240 this year.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
I have a Jet Stream vest and Kelvin puffy. My concern was nicks/cuts/tears. May just pass on the soft shell.

bigharge

WKR
I’ve bought a soft shell jacket on two different occasions, both times I ended up selling them without much use. They always look good and seem functional but just not needed. It’s a personal thing for me I guess but they just don’t have a place in any of my setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like my Sitka Timberline jacket. If it came in a solid color, it would make an amazing every day jacket. Breathes well, protects against the wind, is fairly light weight, and even sheds a light rain.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always liked the layout of softshells but they are cumbersome and heavy for archery in Colorado. Trying out a vest this year while packing a puffy and rain jacket.

Kotaman

WKR
On a back pack hunt a soft shell just isn't an option for me unless it is REALLY late season. In that case, my Kelvin Active gets the call and is used as a soft shell. For "drive up"/cabin type hunts I love the Jet Stream, but I treat it as a luxury item. Early season hunts, it's a puffy and rain jacket for me.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Kryptek Dalibor and Cadog as well as Sitka Jetstream softshells. More durable than a merino or fleece shirt. Wind and water resistant. Light weight. I can layer for most conditions. I also carry light weight rain gear some insulation. I just don’t find a shirt is durable enough. But that works for a lot of people. A bae later, fleece, vest, puffy and rain gear. Cuts some weight. Find what works for you.

ianpadron

WKR
I wouldn't call the Peloton 240 a soft shell. It's a fleece with a tiny bit of wind resistance.

I like mine for certain situations, but an actual soft shell (I run a Sitka Timberline) is way better at blocking the wind and shedding light precipitation.
In a lot of places I go, its not particularly cold (35-60) but usually windy. I've fond that a light softshell over a baselayer is about perfect. I can add a thin fleece midlayer or peel the sofshell if I get too warm. With a good DWR on the softshell, I can through some light rain with no issue. I have run the OR ferrosi hoody with good results but will try the Peloton 240 this year.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Love that jacket as well. Incredibly effective DWR and breathes really well. GORE Windstopper is a great fabric.
I really like my Sitka Timberline jacket. If it came in a solid color, it would make an amazing every day jacket. Breathes well, protects against the wind, is fairly light weight, and even sheds a light rain.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

My jetstream is my most used jaceket

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Ditto. It comes down to preference. Puffies have come a long way recently and the new style seems to be ditching the softshell in favor of a puffy and rain jacket combo. I still favor a softshell for durability (puffies shred), rain and snow resistance ( not as good as a hard shell) breathability and flexible fit (better than a rain jacket). I tend to think of the as s jacket of all trades but really a master of none.