Insight on my layers....

Trying to finalize my layering system for my high country Wyoming mulie hunt in mid September. Based on what I have seen, weather can be about anything lol. Here’s what I have so far....

Sitka Core Merino long sleeve- thinking I want a lighter version. Maybe even a t shirt

Sitka Core Heavyweight crew-pretty set on this. Loved it last year

Here’s where I’m unsure....
Sitka Kelvin Lite jacket, untested. Feels thin to me and not sure how warm it really is

Arcterx Atom LT. Used this a decent amount last year and really liked it. Not super warm but when paired with the core heavyweight and my outer layer it was nice

Outer
Sitka Timberline jacket. Used last year and liked it paired with the Atom LT for cold days when I was moving.

Is there another puffy I should be looking at? The Kelvin is about 12oz, the Atom is 16. I’m trying to pack light but dot want to freeze either if we are hit with cold weather lol. Any suggestions?

00ee7660763df4ed42d34ec08d4e39af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have 2 puffys that are very similar and serve a similar purpose. Neither of them are overly warm, if one will not be enough I'd look at a warmer puffy or supplement 1 with a puffy vest which might be difficult to get under the timberline comfortably.

Warmer synthetic puffys that won't add weight - arcteryx nuclei FL which has 40g more insulation and a wind shell for basically same weight as atom lt. Patagonia hyper puff looks nice. You can get a nunatak skaha apex jacket to you exact specs and easily warmer than your existing jackets.

I've used a FL uncompahgre the last three years, very seldom when actively hunting because it's too warm. I layer it over a soft shell though, it's pretty bulky.

Last edited:
OP
flinginairos
You have 2 puffys that are very similar and serve a similar purpose. Neither of them are overly warm, if one will not be enough I'd look at a warmer puffy or supplement 1 with a puffy vest which might be difficult to get under the timberline comfortably.

I agree. Both puffy's fill about the same space and I don't think I need both. I prefer the Atom since it has the hood but I think there are probably better options out there for the weight. I had considered a KUIU Super Down vest to go along with it, but it would be a tight fit under the Timberline with all the layers.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trying to finalize my layering system for my high country Wyoming mulie hunt in mid September. Based on what I have seen, weather can be about anything lol. Here’s what I have so far....

Sitka Core Merino long sleeve- thinking I want a lighter version. Maybe even a t shirt

Sitka Core Heavyweight crew-pretty set on this. Loved it last year

Here’s where I’m unsure....
Sitka Kelvin Lite jacket, untested. Feels thin to me and not sure how warm it really is

Arcterx Atom LT. Used this a decent amount last year and really liked it. Not super warm but when paired with the core heavyweight and my outer layer it was nice

Outer
Sitka Timberline jacket. Used last year and liked it paired with the Atom LT for cold days when I was moving.

Is there another puffy I should be looking at? The Kelvin is about 12oz, the Atom is 16. I’m trying to pack light but dot want to freeze either if we are hit with cold weather lol. Any suggestions?

00ee7660763df4ed42d34ec08d4e39af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked into the Sitka Jetstream Jacket? It is a gore wind stopper with the DWR finish. It had pit zips for ventilation when it gets hot. It is the step up from the timberline jacket. In Wyoming the wind can be brutal and cold so I would recommend this. The kelvin lite is a great jacket and very warm. It isn't going to have the DWR finish to the outside so it wont be at tough like the Jetstream would be. The core heavy weight is a great piece I use mine all the time. If you really want a good puff that is super warm look at the kelvin down WS hoody. It has a DWR finish to it and will keep you warmer than you've ever been. It's great for glassing on ridges in crazy wind and snow.