Merino bass layer shirts

ba5592

WKR
Merino base layer shirts

What do you find as being the softest 150 +/- weight merino base layer tops? I have run some Kuiu, First Lite, Patagonia, and Smartwool and have found all of them itchy.

Last edited:

motts

Lil-Rokslider
I think my Icebreaker tops might be the softest, but they also tend to stretch out the most between washings. I've been very impressed with the tops I got from Black Ovis (they also regularly show up on camofire), they feel just about as soft as the Icebreakers but do a better job of retaining their shape.

jolemons

WKR
Blackovis on camofire is the way to go. I wish they had more colors bc they're perfect for hot weather everyday wear or working out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Blackovis on camofire is the way to go. I wish they had more colors bc they're perfect for hot weather everyday wear or working out.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I recently bought a couple of the t-shirts and boxers, and I completely agree!

JD619er

WKR
I’ve tried all the brands mentioned and one that isn’t mention is ibex. They seem to be the softest.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IME Minus33 is the best overall, icebreaker second, then the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
From itchiest to softest of brands I’ve used. Marginal difference with the first three, Ice breaker, Kuiu, smart wool, Skre. I’m not bothered by wool and I still use an icebreaker shirt but the skre is extremely soft.

Interesting to see others rate icebreaker softer than I did. Is there something different about the stuff they make with the cabela’s label?

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Interesting to see others rate icebreaker softer than I did. Is there something different about the stuff they make with the cabela’s label?

My Icebreaker is the one that was Cabela's + Icebreaker branded that they discontinued. I bought 2 SS and 2 LS when they were clearing them out at $14.99 and $16.99. And they are super soft. I always found the Black Ovis and Patagonia just a tad scratchy.......maybe more like "grabs hairs". The FL just seems more course (not as soft) but still not itchy or grabby. The KUIU I just couldn't stand the smell of it when wet. Can't remember how soft or scratchy it was.

I also have Minus 33 bottoms, but my legs aren't very sensitive and they could care less what it feels like. But it appears to feel soft to my finger touch.