Mealy game

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice/answers. I have not come across it to often but I have had multiple hunting buddies that have also complained about the texture of their game after they cook it. I am wondering what causes that mealy texture in meat, and how can I fix it.

little background, I cook most of my game on my Traeger. smoke for 30 minutes to an hour then crank it up on high to finish it or I will do a revers sear. Most my game I cook is Elk or Moose.

Other people have had issues with this?

Thanks for the advice.

Whisky

WKR
What exactly do you mean by "mealy"? Your vocab is bigger then mine. :)

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
What exactly do you mean by "mealy"? Your vocab is bigger then mine. :)

When the meat looses its texture and has a bit of a sawdust texture. It would still be rare or medium rare so its not a temp thing.

I've personally never heard of or experienced this with any wild game I've cooked. I'm uncertain about the description, and suppose the only way to be sure would be eating that meat. The 'sawdust texture' is extremely foreign to me....no comprehension of what that would be like. The only things I can think of would relate to the aging or drying of the meat...whether it was well-trimmed before packaging. Very curious.

My wife insists on putting tenderizer on steaks before they get grilled, probably because she likes it well done...blah !

If you put that on too soon and let it sit the meat will break down and have that texture. So maybe enzymes ? I think it's because the meat is breaking down.

Pheasant breasts and a deer roast I cooked too long in a Sous vide. It can happen. I think it has something to do with the Denaturing of proteins at certain temps over time. Smarter better cooks here can comment. I pay attention to cook times now more than I did and it hasn’t been a problem.