Mre?

brocksw

WKR
Found these in the old man's garage, has a whole box of them. Never had an MRE before.

These worth keeping?
2ff6e4999997e92da4f43805d43eedd7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go ahead and try that one and report back. I could it get it down with a bunch of Tabasco so that you can't taste anything else.
Those ones are the older generation of MRE so I would definitely check the exp date.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OXN939

WKR
As someone who has had their fair share of MREs... only as a last resort. Like, literally if currency does not exist anymore.

That there is an omelet with ham. Probably one of the worst entrees in the early 1990s MREs and top 5 worst of all time.

They say the have a 5 year shelf but they will hold longer. While eating an MRE can be a fun treat for the kids or cub scouts, even the good ones aren’t that good. I would toss those suckers or used them as skeet or something.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have yet to try a decent "breakfast" MRE or dehydrated meal. It could have just been packaged, and I wouldn't touch it.

But there are some MRE entrees that aren't bad at all. I have a few cases of them.

wyosteve

WKR
Guess i'm the exception, but I really like MRE's. The flavor isn't terrible. You get a complete meal in one bag and they are easily burnable afterward which is important in bear country

ChrisS

WKR
The only thing in those packages that was any good was jalapeno cheese spread and the ingredients to make ranger pudding. And the heaters come in handy for other things. And the little jars of tabasco.

Poser

WKR
I think that Civil War soldiers probably ate better than 20th Century American soldiers. With all of the technological advances in warfare over the last ~100 years, food has obviously not been a priority.

That being said, there used to be a forum member here who was a fan of these vs. having to carry a stove and take time to rehydrate. I suppose that could largely depending your relationship with food. Do you enjoy eating? Does it make you feel good and improve your psyche to enjoy a meal? If all you require is a full gut and a turd every now and then, I suppose these could work, but, with so many other options available I don’t see a reason to choose these. They are pretty heavy, too.