What new foods are you adding this year?

FlyGuy

WKR
It's just about time for me to start putting together my meal bags. I target 3K calories per day. It's primarily snack type food/bars throughout the day, then a hot mtn house type of meal for dinner. I'll be out for 14 days straight this year, so I'm hoping to add in a few new things to have enough variety. This spring I removed most all candy bars (chocolate melts and is a pain), and added in some green belly bars. They taste good enough, love the calorie density. Don't want them everyday but will sprinkle some in here and there.

I heard Aron mention Onnit in a podcast recently. I'd never heard of them before but plan to order a few things to try. I'm not at the level of dehydrating my own meals yet, so feel free to make suggestions here on new/alternative brands too.

Anyone else stumbled onto something worth adding in?

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
Ruffles sour cream and cheddar. Never get tired of them and 3oz is 470 calories. Crush them in a ziplock bag and won’t take up any space. New for me this year will be muffins...worth the weight for my sanity. They will compress flat so space won’t be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be getting some of the big sur bars I had in my backcountry fuel box. Just ordered a bunch of off grid breakfasts. Going to have some cliff bars, jerky, trail mix, peanut butter, dried fruit.

Still unsure of dinners. Probably will be an assortment of mountain house. I really wish humble foods would start selling.

Last edited:
I have been using Packitgourmet meals for lunch and dinner...they have some good chicken salad meals that are easy for lunch that don’t require boiling a lot of water...also this year I’m adding packets of coconut oil and a container of ghee to add to meals for fat and calories and both together is good in coffee also...other items are macadamia nuts, single serving cheese blocks, tortillas, peanut butter singles...breakfast I still like mountain house...they have the breakfast down in my opinion

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive been loving the baby carrots for snacking on lately, they will keep for a few days in a ziplock easy enough.
Ive also been hitting the bacon Epic bars a lot too.
Go to breakfastish bar for me have become the RXbars, most all of the flavors are good.
For dinners my wife and I have been dehydrating our own.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been debating this with myself also. Thinking about heathers choice breakfasts in the morning with basically snack stuff all day and Green Belly bars at night. I think a quick warm meal to get me going in the morning will be perfect. The Omeals and peak refuel meals look interesting. But Omeals have hardly any calories. Off Grid started making dinners but only had a limited run and I agree with the Humble Foods deal, wish they would start selling.

oldgoat

WKR
All of them, I've developed high blood pressure and need to cut back on the sodium, it's under control with the minimum dosage you can get on the meds, so still might do a mountain House in the evening, but my daytime foods are going to lower sodium stuff, did find some lower sodium jerky and plan on taking some sodium free nut and dried fruit to munch on. Haven't gotten it all figured out yet!

S.Clancy

WKR
Peanut butter, bacon and jelly bagels and pre-made granola bags with dried milk, fruit, etc. I will also prob go with my own trailmix vs a premix one.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been getting Erin's breakfast cookies for morning- several flavors, I like the Chocolate and Peanutbutter ones best. Have also been doing Starbuck's instant mocha w/ an added Via coffee- the mocha is 250-ish calories iirc- a little bonus w/ the caffeine :D

the classic butthole sandwich keeps well and provides a good calorie boost at mid-day

I also have switched to Packit Gourmet for my suppers- these aren't your typical Mountain House fare- they're actually pretty darn good

RoJo

WKR
I am going to try cold soaking. Not sure it will be my thing, but worth a try. For ingredients to draw from, in different combinations:

Ramen
Mashed potatoes (dehydrated)
Cous-cous
Tuna packets
Carne seca
Nori, cut into small squares
Sesame oil
Refried beans (dehydrated)
Red chili flakes
Instant oatmeal
Instant grits
Freeze dried veggie mix
Various nuts (roasted, salted pepitas are a new favorite)

The list is almost endless. I am just not sure how much I will miss a hot meal in the evening, but at least my fall hunts won't be in really cold weather.

JWP58

WKR
I am going to try cold soaking. Not sure it will be my thing, but worth a try. For ingredients to draw from, in different combinations:

Ramen
Mashed potatoes (dehydrated)
Cous-cous
Tuna packets
Carne seca
Nori, cut into small squares
Sesame oil
Refried beans (dehydrated)
Red chili flakes
Instant oatmeal
Instant grits
Freeze dried veggie mix
Various nuts (roasted, salted pepitas are a new favorite)

The list is almost endless. I am just not sure how much I will miss a hot meal in the evening, but at least my fall hunts won't be in really cold weather.

Are you saying you're going to eat cold mashed potatoes, couscous, grits, and oatmeal?

More of a man than me. Does a pocket rocket and fuel canister weigh that much?

Poser

WKR
Ran into a couple on their last day of Thru hiking the Colorado Trail. They were sporting 15# packs, no stove. Their “meals” all consisted of Carnation shake mixes. I can’t even imagine 6.5 weeks of sustaining myself on that diet. #GotToHaveRealFood

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think for a shorter hunt, where fast and very light are the top priorities, cookless definitely has some merit

I tried it on an adventure race, where fast and light are priorities, but the following year went back to hot coffee in the morning and a hot meal in the evening, BUT I won't totally rule it out for the right hunt

big44a4

WKR
Ran into a couple on their last day of Thru hiking the Colorado Trail. They were sporting 15# packs, no stove. Their “meals” all consisted of Carnation shake mixes. I can’t even imagine 6.5 weeks of sustaining myself on that diet. #GotToHaveRealFood

Depends on how long you plan on hunting and how active you plan to be. Surely be a stick with no energy to pack anything out at the end of a trip after 7-15 days of that...even if you sat water the whole time. But to each his own if that’s what makes them happy is less weight and no food.

Adding Green belly bars this year, really enjoy them. I’m going to do them for my evening meals because I hate having to cook and rehydrate meals in camp after getting back after dark. Just want to eat and go to bed.