Saw for shanks?

Pro953

WKR
Hi all,

I am trying to cut my elk shanks into Osso bucco type slabs. Anyone here done this before? Am in better off using a reciprocating saw or a hand/bonesaw?

If I use my reciprocating saw what kind of blade do you have the most success with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btplass

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a fine toothed hand saw, it takes quite a while. I think a band saw would work awesome especially if you froze them first. I've been leaving my whitetail shanks whole with good results but an elk shank would obviously be quite a bit larger.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
a butchers saw is the tool. the one i have is much bigger than a standard hacksaw.

if we knock down an elk, i am doing the same thing. osso bucco!! the marrow smeared on toast..yum.

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
I was able to trade a few cases of beer this summer for this bad boy! Finally got 240 out to the shed for it, but can't wait to put it to use.
da32c6e515bfbecc569ed28d96739be3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That is awesome jimmy.
I've cut mine with a wyoming saw. A lot of work. Thinking of trying the sawzall next time or see if a butcher shop will do it for a couple bucks.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Thanks everyone. Yeah I froze them thinking a heavy metal blade may work. I was thinking about a butcher saw as well but I was not sure how well that would go after a dozen or so cuts.

I would love a bandsaw but other than a few needs a year it’s overkill in this House. Honestly never even thought about asking our processor in town if he would cut them for me. That would be a great way to get them cut nice and clean. May just give that a try!

Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Owenst7

WKR
What's a "saw zaw"? I Googled "zaw" and it looks like it's some asian cartoon/anime character. Must be a millennial thing.

I have a cheap hacksaw I keep under the kitchen sink. A 10/14 TPI blade works great. Trick is you need to cut the meat and tendon with a knife around the circumference, or it will jam up the gullets on the teeth. It's so quick it's not worth cleaning up my big bandsaw. Hacksaw goes in the dishwasher and only gets used for food.

Sawzall seems like it'd jump around too much. Maybe with a steel blade. Just seems like it'd be difficult to jam the rest against the shank without it moving around on you. Then there's all the dirt/oil/gross that I don't really want in my food.

Last edited:
Sawzall, I assume. Milwaukee brand reciprocating saw. like saying kleenex instead of tissue.

If you haven't already, check out scott rea's youtube channel and check out his butchering videos. I think in one of them he goes into his tools. I'm amazed at how efficiently he breaks down an animal using only a few hand tools.

I've always used a fine tooth hand saw and it works fine. I am assuming you are cutting through the meat and silver skin with a sharp knife first and then just use the saw for the bone portion, otherwise it will get messy. Make sure to clean off as much of the bone dust as you can, not too tasty!

I never tried using a reciprocating saw, and would eventually like to have a band saw to use for such tasks - but for now I've been using a fine toothed hack saw. It takes some elbow grease, but it gets the job done. Granted, this is also with whitetails and not elk, so that likely would be more work.

Freeze them solid and hit'm with a saw zaw, the corse blades cut faster.

I do this works like a charm.

Remember to clean up the "saw dust" with a wet paper towel and throw it away. Don't use the shop vac and forget about it and leave it in your hot garage.