Freezer Bag Cooking - Post your recipes here to share!

OP
Brandon Pattison
I dehydrated pork fajitas and pizza.
410b2cc2329ca9ded846f8b4032e29a3.jpg
d47157fdba34d8d39cece98ffd72949b.jpg

I lost my after pictures. How do y'all rehydrate stuff like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Here's one I just prepped:

Thai Red Curry with Jasmine rice.
1½lb course ground venison
½ Large yellow onion, diced
1 large potato, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 cup green peas
1 can water chestnuts
1 can coconut milk
4tbsp Brown sugar
3tbsp red curry paste
1 cup Jasmine rice
2tbsp fish sauce
Cilantro

Basically, Brown the meat & onion, add the coconut milk, curry paste, fish sauce, cilantro, potato, sugar & chestnuts. Boil for 5 mins, then cover & simmer for 20 minutes or until the potato is cooked soft

In a separate pan, boil the rice, peas & peppers until the rice is cooked.

Drain the rice mixture & add it to the curry. Simmer, uncovered, until almost dry.

Add red pepper flakes if you like a little more heat.

Portion & dehydrate on sheets for 15hrs @ 135°

922a166ce170a28f90b9cbe6e1e93aaf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Caconym

FNG
It may not be fancy, but I mix up some muesli with powdered milk in a ziplock bag for breakfasts. Stick the bag in my pot and add water. No clean up, just zip the bag closed when I'm done.

Gonna have to give some of these recipes a try.

JAXNRYLZ

Lil-Rokslider
Glad I found this post. Taking my first backcountry trip this year and was just YouTube'n freezer bag meals... some great recipes on here that Im ready to try!

What about 2nd/3rd/4th rifle and taking FBC of frozen meals. Reheating them in hot water, anyone tried that with success?

What about 2nd/3rd/4th rifle and taking FBC of frozen meals. Reheating them in hot water, anyone tried that with success?

FBC is about rehydrating freeze dried or dehydrated meals in a freezer bag, not unfreezing meals. The main reason people do FBC is to save the water weight, which you don't do if you take a frozen meal with you.

If you did take a frozen meal that did not require rehydrating then your best bet is to vacuum pack it at home, then put the vacuum packed meal in your cooking vessel, add water, bring it to close to a boil and keep it that way for however long it takes to get it hot again. For an evening meal, letting it thaw during the day will shorten your re-heating time.

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just whipped up these for my next backpacking trip.

190E4DEA-A45C-4462-8E70-6543159FF745.jpeg

Granola cluster cereal with powdered milk and a few orange drink packets to go with.

And, chicken dinners.
Chicken packets, half a box of stuffing, half a packet of gravy mix and a 4oz pack of instant mashed potatoes. I also threw in two pink lemonade drink mix packets and two energy drink packets. My thinking is that I’ll have the pink lemonade with dinner, and then the energy drink to fight the after dinner sluggishness.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get into FBC. Hoping you guys could answer some questions. How long can you expect dehydrated and vac sealed meals to last? And do you guys put the oxygen absorbers in to help prevent spoilage?

I would love to make meals throughout the year and not just before a trip.

Thanks guys

Blackhawk45hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get into FBC. Hoping you guys could answer some questions. How long can you expect dehydrated and vac sealed meals to last? And do you guys put the oxygen absorbers in to help prevent spoilage?

Thanks guys
I was just wondering about that myself

Thanks guys
I don't know the direct answer to your questions but a few weeks ago I dehydrated a bunch of foods which included items with ground beef and eggs. I vac sealed and put them in the freezer. Today when I started putting my meals together I took the dehydrated items out of the freezer and mixed them into my meals. I'll be hunting in a few days and have no problem leaving all of the dehydrated stuff out or inside the truck, pack, etc. I cook all of my food before dehydrating anyway. If you dehydrate, then vacuum pack and put in the freezer it should last for years. I don't use oxygen absorbers but I put my meals together in the days prior to the hunt, I thought they are more for long term storage. I ordered some of the packit gourmet bags to try this year, they are definitely more expensive than freezer bags so I hope they are worth it. Here is my weeklong food supply I put together today. Not pictured are my oatmeal packets, coffee, granola bars etc. 1029191214.jpg

John.m.a

FNG
Archery elk in September. I froze 10 meals in Vacuum sealed bags. Put in a soft sided cooler. I was solo backpack hunting. I admit it was heavier than dehydrated meals. I packed in about 6 miles set up as base camp for 5 days. I ate great. Boiled water over a fire and heated up my dinner in a pot. Delicious!! I moved my camp after 5 days to a new spot. I wasn't hauling my food everyday. The meals stayed frozen for 7 days. They were still cold on day 10. Best eating ever on a backpack hunt. I backpack during the summer so I tested this before the hunt. Worked great!

Doddse1

FNG
Pepperoni Pasta Salad

Ingredients
3 oz package ramen (discard flavor packet)
1⁄4 c freeze dried vegetables
1 pk shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes)
1 oz shelf stable ranch dressing (1 packet)
1 T shelf stable parmesan cheese
1 1⁄2 c water

For the pepperoni, look in the packaged deli meat section for small packages, 3 1/2 ounce size, of pepperoni. The package will have two sleeves in it. Take one with you, saving the other sleeve for another meal. The pepperoni is safe to carry for as long as you want it till opened. Once opened, eat within a couple hours.

Pick whatever freeze dried vegetables you prefer - adding in freeze dried olives is awesome.

Instructions
At home:
Break the ramen up a bit, put in a quart freezer bag with the vegetables. Pack the cheese in a small bag or take packets. Tuck the salad dressing packet, the pepperoni sleeve and cheese with the bag.

In camp:
Add the cool water to the bag, seal tightly. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain off water carefully, add in the pepperoni and dressing, tossing to coat. Sprinkle on the cheese.
Going to give this one a try once more trails and hikes open up in Washington!

MattWll

FNG
I made onion soup, fry the onion and stew in wine, and add the broth there. Then pour it on a plate, pour cheese and croutons

I'm loving all these recipes. Makes me think more out the box. So far, I've been keeping my approach to meals fairly simple.

1. Protein (chicken, spam, tuna)
+
2. Starch (couscous, rice, mashed potatoes, ramen, couscous... did I say couscous again)
+
3. Flavor (salt, slap yer mama, cajun, hot sauce, etc).

If I remembered to buy dehydrated veggies, that is always nice to have in the bag.
Finally, I try to bring a small nalgene bottle (1 or 2oz) of EVOO, I add a bit of that for fat/lubricant.

TNCAN

FNG
Stumbled on this thread. Heading to the store w/so many new ideas! Have already got the dehydrator and a vacuum sealer. Now have new ideas and plans for them both. Thanks to you all!

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord