Freezer Bag Cooking - Post your recipes here to share!

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
I plan on trying the FBC method this year.. I figure I can dehydrate leftover meals I cooked at home and have a good selection for when I hit the trail..Nice post, I'll be keeping track of it...

OP
Brandon Pattison
Pepperoni Pasta Salad

Ingredients
3 oz package ramen (discard flavor packet)
1⁄4 c freeze dried vegetables
1 pk shelf stable pepperoni slices (see notes)
1 oz shelf stable ranch dressing (1 packet)
1 T shelf stable parmesan cheese
1 1⁄2 c water

For the pepperoni, look in the packaged deli meat section for small packages, 3 1/2 ounce size, of pepperoni. The package will have two sleeves in it. Take one with you, saving the other sleeve for another meal. The pepperoni is safe to carry for as long as you want it till opened. Once opened, eat within a couple hours.

Pick whatever freeze dried vegetables you prefer - adding in freeze dried olives is awesome.

Instructions
At home:
Break the ramen up a bit, put in a quart freezer bag with the vegetables. Pack the cheese in a small bag or take packets. Tuck the salad dressing packet, the pepperoni sleeve and cheese with the bag.

In camp:
Add the cool water to the bag, seal tightly. Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes. Drain off water carefully, add in the pepperoni and dressing, tossing to coat. Sprinkle on the cheese.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Breakfast Pistachio Rice Pudding

Ingredients
1⁄2 c instant rice
1⁄4 c dried cranberries
1⁄4 c dry milk
1 T brown sugar, packed
1⁄2 t ground cinnamon
1⁄4 c pistachios, chopped fine
3⁄4 c water
Notes
Instant brown rice can be used, give it a full 15 minutes sitting time. Brown rice works best using the one pot method.
1/4 cup shelled pistachios are about 50 of the nuts. Use a lightly salted and roasted for best taste. Reserve a couple whole ones to decorate the pudding.

Instructions
At home:
Bag the rice, cranberries, milk, sugar and cinnamon in a quart freezer bag (for FBC) or a sandwich bag (for one pot method). Bag the nuts separately.

In camp:

FBC method:
Bring the water to a boil, add to the freezer bag. Stir well, seal tightly and let sit in a cozy for 10 to 15 minutes. Stir well and add in the nuts.

One pot method:
Bring the water to a boil, add in the dry ingredients. Cover tightly, take off the stove (in cool temperatures use a pot cozy) and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the nuts.

BuckSnort

WKR
Franklin, Thanks for the links... I have spaghetti in the dehydrator as I type this.. Just a simple recipe from a store bought jar of sauce and some noodles.. I plan on dehydrating some lean burger seperately (this will be frozen after drying and added to the freezer bags of spaghetti just before a trip)... I will test the FBC method and let you know if it hydrated properly or not...

BuckSnort

WKR
Ok, The dehydrator I used is an older one without a fan, it took 30 hours to dry the spaghetti.. I need to get a newer one with a fan, from what I see on the net it should have taken less than 8 hours with the newer units..

I was concerned about the spaghetti falling through the grates so I bought a wider, thicker type of noodle.. I also used parchment paper which was a bad idea because the noodles stuck to it (it's not supposed to) and was a PITA to remove ..There's a few small pieces of it still stuck to the noodles which I will eat anyway.. I'm not to concerned ,I've ate worse..lol

I used an entire bag of spaghetti and a whole jar of sauce spread out over 5 trays.. I divided them up into 3 different bags/dinners for a total of 6oz. dry weight and 700 calories per meal.. I plan on dehydrating some ground beef and adding to the bags just before a trip, this will probably bump the calories to around 900 per meal..

I tested the re-hydrate with the FBC method... 17 minutes in the cozy and they were ready to eat... And pretty tasty..I'm looking forward to trying more stuff when I upgrade the dehydrator...

Dried, ready for packaging..

ca181975.jpg

All packaged up (made 3 large dinners)

627bda61.jpg

Last edited:

BuckSnort

WKR
I made these at home today as a test and I will be making these on the trail, they are pretty tasty for the short cook time and few ingredients...

1 cup of white flour
1Tbs of Baking POWDER
pinch of salt
1 Tbs Olive Oil

Optional: Sugar, Garlic Salt.

At home: Mix dry ingredients and place into ziploc freezer bag..

At camp: Slowly add just enough water to reach sticky consistency.. Add oil to pan bring to temp and glob mixture onto pan, flip when golden brown..

Serves 2-3 people and has about 450 calories total..

You can make plain biscuits or make Garlic biscuits with the garlic salt or even sweet biscuits with sugar.. I would imagine a small condiment sized honey packet would be excellent for honey biscuits...

Edit: I'm sure Bisquick would be great for the sweeter biscuits but I like the thought of being able to add Garlic salt for garlic biscuits if I desire..

Attachments

• trail biscuits.jpg
    trail biscuits.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 250

Lawnboi

WKR
Looks good bucksnort! bout time someone puts up some pictures and more detail on making thier own meals.

I picked up a nice dehydrator earlier this year for a good price with the intention on making my own meals. Iv just got to find the time to do it and experiment.

That spaghetti looks so good it would probably be something id make for a quick meal at home.

Great idea, are you cooking them in the bag or in a pot? I would be worried the zip lock back would not hold up to the boiling water temps.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I was excited to find this post! I am new to the forum, and western hunting, but I can contribute to this one. I have been doing this stuff for years, aming my own meals for back country canoe trips!

Bucksnort, I highly reccomend the Excalibur brand dehydrator if you are looking for a new one. I use the heck out of mine and it works great. Overnight will dry almost anything. Also, look for some "fruit leather trays" at Cabelas or wherever. They work great for anything small or runny. I have 7 trays full right now with red beans and rice, spaghetti and venison stroganoff.

I dont package in freezer bags, instead I use a vaccum sealer and small bags. Saves space and preserves better!

BuckSnort

WKR
Thanks Goober and welcome to RokSlide... I just bought a new "American Harvester" unit from Necco... Had great reviews so i ordered one.... Only used it once but it dried some noodles for mac and cheese in only 4 hours.. Looking forward to doing more with it and enjoying the FBC method this year..

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
I learned that rather than dehydrating separate ingredients, then combining them in the bag, it seems to work better to cook everything together then dehydrate it. Otherwise I always seem to end up with too much/not enough of something. And with a good dehydrater and the fruit leather trays, I can do almost anything. I have even done venison stew.

When drying meat especially, be sure to break it into small pieces when cooking, as it will re-hydrate much better.

I cook with a Jet boil, and I have had best results if I put in the dried food, cover it with water, then let is sit for 30-60 minutes while I do something else. Then I fire up the stove and bring it to a simmer for about 2 minutes (stir frequently!) and it re-hydrates better than if you just add the food to boiling water.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Red beans and rice with sausage:

1 package Vigo (or any other brand I guess) Red beans and rice, cooked per directions. I add about a pound of meat, I prefer chicked Andouille sausage (the chicken dehydrates better than pork) and dehydrate! Rice and beans re-hydrates very well.

Goober

Lil-Rokslider
Fish Taco 'slaw: (spicy)

for anyone who wants to supplement their diet with some fresh fish in a new way try this:

1 package of Dole coleslaw salad mix. Pour the whole bag into a large bowl. Add about 2 cups of greek yougurt. Squeeze in the juice from 2 limes. Grab a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. I use one pepper(give or take, how spicy do you want it?), diced fine and some of the sauce. Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours for the flavors to combine. Dehydrate until brittle.

Once you catch your fish, add some hot water to the 'slaw to rehydrate. Cook up your fish, put it on a warm tortilla, add some slaw and enjoy!

note: this recipe originally uses Mayo instead of the greek yogurt. I replaced it for 2 reasons: mayo does not dehydrate well, and by replacing it with greek yogurt you get a much healthier result and alot more protien! And the taste is close to the same!

Great idea, I have a couple off the top of my head.

Trailmix....of course you can substitute or add most anything in here. I'm particular to cranberries for some reason.
1/2 cup unblanched whole almonds
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup dried apple slices, chopped
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup Honey Nut Cheerios

Peanut butter and bacon tortilla sandwich
tortilla shell of choice, spread on peanut butter, and add 2-3 strips of precooked bacon.
I have had folks tell me they add honey, but personally never like the taste ymmv.

BBQ Chicken wraps
Pouch of precooked chicken breast, tortillas of choice, bbq sauce packet from McDonalds, Burger King, etc., pepper-jack cheese (optional). Unpack chicken, pour on bbq, wrap it all up and eat.

Bacon/Cheese Pasta
3oz pack ramen (any flavor)
1⁄4 cup shelf stable bacon
1⁄4 cup shelf stable parmesan cheese
1⁄2 teaspoon granulated dried garlic
1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil (1 packet)
1 1⁄2 cups water
Bring the water to a boil and pour in freezer bag with the pasta. Seal and let sit for 5-10 minutes (I put the freezer bag in an empty Mountain House bag). Drain off the water, mix in seasonings and eat.

Lawnboi

WKR
I made soup the other time i went out.

Dehydrated some cubed chicken, some corn, and added it to some quick cook soup mix. Boiled it for a few minutes and it was good to go.