"Pressure Canning Your Bounty", by Becca Moffat

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Becca, For chili, just have it simmering in a large pot after mixing well and then pack jars and process for length of time for meat? Thinking about putting up a big batch in quart jars. Think that is all there is to it, but curious if you had any tricks. Thanks

The only safe way to can chilli is to use a tested recipe put out by the cooperative extension service or other trusted canning resource. In any other type of cooking I adapt recipes to my own taste, but with canning it just isn't safe to do that. Any changes to a recipe could potentially alter the pH or density of the food, which could in turn make it an environment in which dangerous bacteria could potentially survive. I will only use recipes that have been lab tested, and follow those to the letter (using game meat in place of ground beef is a safe substitution according to the cooperative extension service). In post #14 above I linked to the chilli recipe I have used in the past.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I have been canning venison for that past few years. I have even made canned mince meat with venison. I use the raw pack method and only add a 1/4 teaspoon of canning salt. The will be enough liquid from the meat to fill the jar.

rayporter

WKR
last year we tried some chipotle seasoning in a few jars and it was pretty good.

we also tried barbeque sauce and teriyaki but they did not add any flavor. at least not as much as a bouillon cube.

there will be more chipotle this year.