Wild Bone Broth

Poser

WKR
I make bone stock every year, though I always have a hard time convincing people that it tastes good and is worthwhile. If you're motivated enough to clean them, you can even cook down the hooves for stock, too.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
I've made tasty elk bone broth. But my attempts at venison broth have turned out tallowy/waxy and funky. I've tried blanching the bones and then roasting to get impurities out. Any suggestions to get better tasting broth with deer bones?

Poser

WKR
I've made tasty elk bone broth. But my attempts at venison broth have turned out tallowy/waxy and funky. I've tried blanching the bones and then roasting to get impurities out. Any suggestions to get better tasting broth with deer bones?

I split them open, roast them in the oven for a little while and then cook them down with root vegetables, herbs and some red wine.

Stid2677

WKR

When the water just starts to get hot, skim off the floating white junk, it is this scum that adds the off flavor, I will even dump the first boil water and start with fresh if a lot of scum surfaces. A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar helps too and also helps extract the minerals from the bones. I prefer to spit and roast them first to add flavor and a deep brown color to the broth. Makes out of this world Pho... Google Vietnamese Pho recipes for some more ideas as a beef broth is the base for these recipes.

Tod osier

WKR
Some of yesterday’s work
3af661572dd1e670f88e75569977ea99.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
I need to start doing this but the dogs would hate me. What's shelf life though anyone know?

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
I plan to do this! Also Osso Buco is SOOOOOOOO GOOOOD!!! We tried that for the first time this year with the shanks!!! I'm telling ya its a must try!!!

coop2424

WKR
My wife did this with her moose bones last week and then made some stew with it.. It was dang good and plan on doing this more in the future..