Pre cooking bacon?

I'm planning on pre cooking my bacon and vacuum sealing it into servings and freezing it. I leave in two weeks on my hunt. can I go ahead and cook it now if I vacuum seal it and Freeze it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reaper

WKR
Yeah why not...Or go buy the already cooked bacon style.
c4038886d48bef3ea513e416d741b5e4.jpg

Envoyé de mon E6560C en utilisant Tapatalk

OP
Jtelarkin08
Yeah why not...Or go buy the already cooked bacon style.
c4038886d48bef3ea513e416d741b5e4.jpg

I figured it would be fine

Ya I haven't ever tried that pre cooked stuff. Is it any good?

reaper

WKR
Hell yeah,like normal bacon,its really good i use this when fishing(brookies and bacon= Heaven) or in bagel when hiking.

You can cook it on a hot pan for about 30 secondes and its freaking good or ate it like that.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya I haven't ever tried that pre cooked stuff. Is it any good?

The store bought stuff? NO!

I cook up my bacon the day before I leave home........3-5lbs worth. It's my jerky. I just wrap it in paper towels and put it in a ziplock, then into my pack.

But I've never frozen it after cooking it......have no idea what that would be like, but I would think it would be ok.

xziang

WKR
I'm going to bump this up instead of starting a 'new' thread.

How do you keep the bacon krispy after you cook it and keep it for say 5 days? I did this last year but the bacon was rather mushy after I got to the mountain and I'll admit I'm guilty for I like krispy bacon.

Bacon brand I like/use: Hormell Black Label

ACC

FNG
I cooked up about 4-5 pounds last year for our elk hunt and it worked great.

Vacuum sealed it in the portions I thought we would need and kept the excess packs in a cooler.

Cooked it well done and it stayed crispy maybe a little too much as it was broken up pretty bad from vacuum sealing.

xziang

WKR
I cooked up about 4-5 pounds last year for our elk hunt and it worked great.

Vacuum sealed it in the portions I thought we would need and kept the excess packs in a cooler.

Cooked it well done and it stayed crispy maybe a little too much as it was broken up pretty bad from vacuum sealing.

Hummm I'm wondering if I need to just vacuum seal them shortly after cooking it to keep it crispy. I put them in a zip lock bag with a paper towel last year.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I use the precooked bacon when packing in for 6-8 days and yes it's good with a lot of peanut butter and a tortilla(by day 5 not as good). I pack a individual peanut butter and 2 strips of bacon and tortilla in my day pack for a lunch. I don't know how long they stay good once opened but when you're hungry a lot of things taste good. I even like my Mountain House dinners.

daron

FNG
Great Idea, I will try that too! It will give you ample energy that you need in hunting. By pre-cooking your bacon, it would be easier to cook it when you camp. This will in turn bring you less hassle in cooking and be more active while hunting.

4ester

WKR
I pre-cook my bacon, and freeze it in zip locks. Then I make some butthole sandwiches as needed throughout hunting season. Bacon is cured so should be fine for quite some time. Technically you could eat it raw if you were man enough.

I saw on here about Bagel , pb , bacon and honey. I premade some and vacuum packed em . It smashed the bagel down flat , the honey was cold and crystalized like sugar , it was like eating a dang cookie samich. So dam good and energizing

Ray

WKR
I'm going to bump this up instead of starting a 'new' thread.

How do you keep the bacon krispy after you cook it and keep it for say 5 days? I did this last year but the bacon was rather mushy after I got to the mountain and I'll admit I'm guilty for I like krispy bacon.

Bacon brand I like/use: Hormell Black Label

I have never experienced mushy bacon that started out crispy. I tend to get my bacon to a brown state without any pink or red to it. All the fat is tan and brittle. Vacuum packing tends to shatter it into bits and smaller chunks.

For me bacon that is cooked in an oven tends to render better than pan frying...and I can cook pounds at a time.