Butthole sandwiches ready to go

welpro222

WKR
Hey guys just wanted to share photos of hunting preps my wife has done for me. I told her about the famous butthole sandwiches, she went to town and made me a load of them for my high mountain hunt in 2 weeks. We used everything bagels, low sodium bacon, crystallized honey and jiffys crunchy peanut butter. I tested one out after being vacuum sealed and sitting on kitchen counter for 4 days and it was great. The only problem is the vacuum sealer compresses it, and it basically becomes a butthole candy bar. It was still yummy and much easier to eat this way.

jfronk

FNG
Try freezing them for a couple hours before you vacuum seal. It should stiffen everything up enough to not run all over when you compress it. I haven't tried it with these but it works good for duck and goose breasts.

I've got five ready for the long weekend. Turns out that I can't stretch 2.5lb of bacon very far.

As stated above, freeze them on a cookie sheet, then bag them.

Colberjs

WKR
I still can't bring myself to try bacon on them. I've had the PB&H on a bagel and I love bacon just as much, if not more than, the next guy but it doesn't seem to add up to me.

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
We tried pre cooked bacon first, but it was too greasy and made a mess. You would have to pan them again to remove the excess grease. Regular low sodium bacon worked perfectly when fried to a crisp.

OP
W

welpro222

WKR
I forgot to reply back here after I got back from my hunt. Yeah, they were great and hit the spot when it was lunch time. Probably will go with a different bagel, the everything bagel wasn't a 100% match with the rest. I like the fact that the vacuum saver squished it together, it was mess free and easy to eat. Now, I just gotta pick out a different bagel and make some more for the rest of the season.

How long do you think you can keep them stored before they go bad? I am looking at doing the same thing but didn't what the shelf life would be.