Rokslide Cookbook

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
becca, any tips for tasty but tough bear meat?

I assume you are talking steaks/roasts? With all tough game cuts, they are much better either slow cooked via crock pot or Dutch oven, or pressure cooked or canned. Long cooking on low heat breaks down the toughness of the meat, just make sure you add enough liquid. A little olive oil or butter will help too.

The risk of trichonosis in bear meat, though rare, is a very real. Be sure to cook your bear meat to well done (with a meat thermometer showing at least 160 degrees). Because of this potential issue with bear, we typically have ours made into cooked/cured sausage at our game shop. Black bear makes awesome snack sticks, pepperoni, summer sausage and hotdogs....

ahoule

FNG
Hi Becca, I think this is a wonderful idea!! It’s great to get new recipes for game and for me and my husband that eat paleo (game and vegetables only) I’m always looking for new ideas to keep dinner enticing. Just wanted to put another idea out there because I know how important fitness and training is to a hunter and maybe doing a nutrition/ training recipe section might be a good idea. Just a thought:D Cant wait to see all the yummy recipes!!!

Does anyone have a good chili recipe I could snag? I have a pile of bear meat and some bou. I'd like to make it with the bear meat. Anyone? Thanks in advance!

Clarktar

WKR
I'm thinking of firing up the slow cooker for the first time this fall. Anyone got a tasty recipe involving deer roast?

ebalka

FNG
when is this going to be published? I have the recipe from Kentucky afield for stroganoff. not the casserole. it can be found on youtube or I can type it up and send it. just let me know.