WKR
10 pounds Elk Jalapeño Cheddar Summer Sausage
25 pounds Duck Salami
25 pounds Goose Cheddar Summer Sausage

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Negative. Have 25 pounds of elk brats, 25 pounds of goose keilbasa and 20 pounds of duck hot German sausage I did a few weeks ago. This round was the last of the processing from this past season kills.

6rgunner

FNG
That looks delicious. Care to share your recipe or method on making the cheddar summer sausage?

elkguide

WKR
Did I miss where you posted your address and what time we were supposed to ALKL be over?

Looking good!!!!!

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Here is the summer sausage with cheddar and the salami sliced. Turned out perfect, nothing I would change.
After years and years of processing meat I have determined buying premixed spices is the way to go financially for me. I buy my sausage blends from A.C.Leggs. Greatest flavors out there, and price.
I grind the meat with my medium plate. Mix the game meat and pork shoulder by hand and add in the spice and cure mix. I then grind a second time with the small plate. Once the 2nd grind is done I add the high temp cheese and mix by hand again. Load up stuffer and stuff into casing tightly avoiding any and all air pockets.
Let sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
Get smoker up to 125 degrees and hang sausage for an hour.
Hour two, add smoke and take to 145 degrees for an hour.
Hour number 3 and 4 at 155 degrees.
Then take smoker to 175 degrees till internal temp of sausage is 152degees.
DO NOT LET THE SMOKER GET OVER 180 degrees.
Your fat will render and drip out. Your product will taste good but be crumbly and not look like my pictures.
I can not stress this enough. Understand it's going to take 9-12 hours to hit internal temp, do not rush, do not get smoker hot. You will ruin your product. period. Monthly I have people email asking what they did wrong, 99.9% of the time it is the temperature.
After you hit 152, make an ice water bath in a large cooler. Throw in sausage straight from smoker into ice bath for 30 minutes. Pull out, dry off, cut into portions and vacuum seal.
That's it, no secrets left out.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Sadly, no plans, all in my head that I threw together in the garage. I did take pictures during the process. Maybe in the next couple of days, when I find more time, I'll post a build and smoking in it thread.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
We have done our own processing for years and everything very similar to your method with the exception of the 30 min ice water bath. I assume the reasoning behind it is to provide a quick cool down while preserving the flavor of the meat. The only problem we have is we process so much at a time that I'd have to use one of my stock water tanks. Is there a big difference in using the ice bath versus letting product cool on its own?
Thanks - never too old to learn.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
I believe there is. I believe the quicker the initial firm up from the smoking/cooking process the better the texture later on when you slice. I used my 120qt cooler for this 60 pound batch. The cooler size could have cooled a 100 pound batch. Next time you do some, do an ice bath on a few of them and let me know if you see a difference.

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Man that looks great. For years I've been feeding ducks and geese to my dogs; I can't stand eating it. I think I'm going to give this a try.