Taking organ meat home

Im hunting rifle second season in Colorado this year for elk. I want to keep the tongue, heart, and liver but im from out of state. Me and my buddies will be driving, cooler temps will be in my favor and it will be on ice once we get it back to the truck.. Anyone have any luck keeping them long enough to get home?
Or will I need to just eat them in camp?

WKR
No experience, I take it all.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I've brought heart and liver home just packed in ice chest with meat. I actually forgot the tongue. No problem except for the weight it adds to pack out. Elk liver is huge.

rayporter

WKR
heart and tongue - no problem.

liver is best fresh-in my opinion. after a few days [ or if frozen] it is just not the same. it will be edible when you get home if kept cold, just not as good as fresh. the typical liver and onions recipe will make it ok and even great if you like onions.

boom

WKR
that is a lot of liver to eat at camp..for me.

i get it cooled fast and then into the chest. no issues. and i agree..elk liver is giant.

Poser

WKR
I agree about the liver: it doesn't freeze well and it's shelf life is less dependable than muscle. Tongue and heart should keep just as well as other muscle, though you might try and pump the excess blood out of the heart, though, I'd consider the heart to be prime eating for camp meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
depends on storage temperature. Liver kept longer than a few days at 50 degrees and warmer is not a good idea for freshness. Of course the difference between fresh liver and questionable is subjective....it's all suspect to my taste buds.

The heart is best eaten within 4-5 days with similar temp ranges.

The toungue lasts longer if washed well after removal...depends on how much rumen was regurgitated at death. If it's had rumen and bile on it, it stays with the animal IMO. The wolves love it.

desertcj

WKR
I don't care for liver, but I kept a heart, liver and tongue in an ice chest with the rest of the meat for three days. Gave the liver away. I'm told it was good? I know the heart was.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord