Cheap and Efficient way to start dehydrating

I would like to dabble in dehydrating a few meals for some camping/hunting trips. A little digging and research provided an information overload and a little bit of sticker shock.

Can anyone recommend a cost efficient, simple way to give it a go?

Thanks

I have a couple of presto dehydrators that work just fine and they are probably $40?
When doing meals just use wax paper or break into the components.
Chili or stew...the meat and beans get clumped up so I check every couple hours and bust them apart.
Mushrooms I do on a big screen with fans...think that is better than heat for taste...then add later.
Haven't tried doing meals on a big screen...but that may be the zero cost way of doing it?

OP
M
Molon which presto dehydrators models do you use? Do you prefer the wax paper over the fruit sheets?

I have a couple of presto dehydrators that work just fine and they are probably $40?
When doing meals just use wax paper or break into the components.
Chili or stew...the meat and beans get clumped up so I check every couple hours and bust them apart.
Mushrooms I do on a big screen with fans...think that is better than heat for taste...then add later.
Haven't tried doing meals on a big screen...but that may be the zero cost way of doing it?

Wax paper has been a no go for me. Parchment paper works much better.

I use the Nesco FD-1040 Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator, White, 1000-watt. Super expandable if you get into it and want to dehydrate a lot more. I like that it has a digital timer so i can set it to run, and I dont have to be home to shut it off. This is also good because you want the food to cool before vac packing it to avoid condensation. You can run 2 trays with it, or up to 8 or 10 ( i forget, I usually have 5 trays going)
That dehydrator is under 100 bucks delivered from Amazon and will serve you quite well.
I have made TONS of meals, jerky, fruit leather, etc with it and don't regret my purchase one bit.
I use the fruit roll trays when dehydrating chilis, stews, soups, or ground meat.

For resources, check out hungry hammock hanger on youtube. He has a lot of super simple recipes and tips for dehydrating to get you going.

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Personally my favorite dehydrated meal I make is pot-roast and mashed potatoes. Ill take an elk, deer, sheep etc roast and drop it in the slow cooker seasoned up until it completely falls apart. I take that meat and spread it out on my dehydrator on top of butcher paper cut to fit my round one from Walmart. Dehydrate it thoroughly. Then ill take a cup of the dried meat, a cup of Idahoin instant mashed potatoes in your favorite flavor, then add a tablespoon of instant gravy power and any other desired seasoning. Boil about 16-20 Oz of water and drop it in your vacuum bag. I love the shit, got it from a dude on IG and modified it a bit to my liking.