Keto in the back country

Ive been doing the keto diet for a few months now and love it. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around unperishable meals to pack in. What is everyone else doing? I'd imagine the weight of food you are packing in is greatly decreased even if it isn't dehydrated.

I'm in the same boat. So far the only thing I really know for sure is...

Fat coffee in the morning. (they sell a variety on amazon, currently testing out) And I might double this up in the afternoon if I can.
406 x2
Nuts. Pry go with almonds. Be careful to avoid sugar here with trail mixes.

The top of my wish list right now is some kind of eggs. This would probably be a lunch type thing for me.

Dinner will probably be a heathers choice. Most have too many carbs but we're very limited on choices here. I'm not going to rule out dehydrating my own keto meals if I get time to try a few recipes.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've done a ton of research into this and it can be done but it's not easy and you have to make a lot if not all of your own food. Something to take into account though is you can afford more carbs in the backcountry because you're burning more. You also really need to experiment with your performance on strict keto as some people do not metabolize fat at a high enough rate to be at the top of their game when they need it in the mountains and that's a terrible place to find out you need the carbs to function at those levels of energy expenditure. Some foods that work well for keto in the mountains are pepperoni (be careful of ingredients), pemmican, pre cooked bacon, nuts, but butters, whipped butter, coconut, coconut oil, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed oil, ghee. It's not terribly difficult to plan a keto friendly diet once you get into it but again I caution planning for that if you don't KNOW you can function effectively while burning 10,000 calories a day on a mountain hunt.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
skaldugwas
I've done a ton of research into this and it can be done but it's not easy and you have to make a lot if not all of your own food. Something to take into account though is you can afford more carbs in the backcountry because you're burning more. You also really need to experiment with your performance on strict keto as some people do not metabolize fat at a high enough rate to be at the top of their game when they need it in the mountains and that's a terrible place to find out you need the carbs to function at those levels of energy expenditure. Some foods that work well for keto in the mountains are pepperoni (be careful of ingredients), pemmican, pre cooked bacon, nuts, but butters, whipped butter, coconut, coconut oil, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed oil, ghee. It's not terribly difficult to plan a keto friendly diet once you get into it but again I caution planning for that if you don't KNOW you can function effectively while burning 10,000 calories a day on a mountain hunt.

I think I'm doing alright in that regard. totally fat adapted and doing intermittent fasting, only eating one meal a day monday through friday and no cheat days what so ever. I have fasted for up to 72 hours with heavy workouts during the fast with no lack of steam. which is a night and day difference before I went keto. This keto thing is kind of crazy when you see how far you can push yourself and find out your horizons have expanded.

I just found out most smoked almonds (my favorite keto treat) use flour or corn oil in them. I'm going to experiment making my own very soon.

Packing in that Phat fudge or unicorn fuel might be an option since its mostly coconut oil.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
In that small amounts it's probably not going to kill you though and if it's kept you keto this long I'm sure you're fine unless you're also trying to go strict paleo

OP
skaldugwas
I found a recipe that uses egg whites as a binder instead of flour. I want to keep it as keto as possible especially since smoked almonds are an every day thing for me. Not sure how this recipe would keep in a hot back pack.

Another good pack friendly keto food would be Parmesan chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll keep your fat burning furnace going plenty hot I wouldn't stress about keeping a strict keto diet. It would be different if you were sitting on your arse for 2 weeks. As long as you get back into action as soon as your back home you'll never skip a beat.