experimenting with different freeze-dried meals

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I've been trying some different pack meals-especially something different for breakfast than (G)oatmeal or the usual dehydrated eggs with whatever. This morning I tried a PackitGourmet Polenta with Sausage. And as an amateur chef, I have to say....DAMN!!! This one's always going to be in my pack!! It actually rehydrates to a little more than I can handle, but could easily work for 2 if you have something else on the side. You might want to add a little Parmesan cheese to it, but that's a personal taste thing. This one was simply outstanding! I also tried their pico de gallo salsa, and didn't care for it;there's a strange spice I can't put my finger on. Will let you know how their other offerings go as the month wears on. I try to go light, with the exception of decent stuff to eat. After all, wilderness hunting isn't supposed to be the Baatan Death March--it's our vacation, right?

And unless you like bitter coffee, REI's Alpine Gourmet was a thumbs down for me, even with cream!

And to be fair, my only problem with Mountain House is the lack of variety in the single meals, whereas all the Packit Gourmet meals are singles.

OP
T

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
The next test this morning was Packit Gourmet's West Memphis grits souffle---almost as good as the polenta with sausage! For me, it would be a toss-up on an overnight. Dottie's Chicken & Dumplings last night wasn't bad, but I felt not outstanding like their two breakfasts have been.

OP
T

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Try the Packit Gourmet "big easy" gumbo. It's awesome.

I just took a look at this, and as a guy who makes gumbo and crawfish etoufee from scratch, yeah....this is a must try! Their general grocery category is, for foodies, actually scary it has so much goodness!! I wonder if I can dehydate Andouille sausage to go in the gumbo? Laissez le bon temps ROULER!

OP
T

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
Just tried the Moonshine Margarita Mix.....OUtstanding, which I find hard to believe!! tomorrow, using their dehydrated green bell pepper, celery and onion, I'm going to have a go at crawfish etouffee. I'm beginning to realize that with a little planning, I could have an absolutely decadent back country camp, right down to the cigars and cognac.....so far, their stuff has been fantastic!!

OP
T

the big Mao

Lil-Rokslider
a further update on my latest experiment: crawfish etouffee, using Packit Gourmet's dehydrated vegetables. They rehydrated exactly as claimed, and went into the roux along with the rest of the ingredients. Adding the crawdad parts towards the finish, this meal turned out exactly as I expected. Very impressed with the way the vegetables reconstituted-flavorful, easy to use, cooked up very well in the mix!
Djisd3v.jpg

QIoJ7xQ.jpg

the more I use things from these folks, the more impressed I am!