Protein Shakes

frankrb3

WKR
Any one ever tried having just a protein shake for a meal while hiking/hunting in the back country. I usually only like cooking food for breakfast and dinner and usually eat snacks for lunch. The thought of carrying protein powder to make a shake for lunch seems like it would be a good alternative. Does anyone do this and if so what do you use?

Most protein shakes are lower in Carbs, unless they are full of sugar. You need some carbs to fuel your muscles and keep you going, so I suggest a meal replacement type drink also. Wilderness Athlete sells both, and I use a combo of the two in the morning. I like the chocolate flavors best, but that's a personal preference.

Last edited:

young7.3

WKR
It's more efficient to source foods that are higher in fats than carbs.
1 gram fat= 9 calories
1 gram carb= 4 calories
1 gram protein= 4 calories

The recipe I use is from Brady Miller of gohunt that I tweaked a little to my satisfaction.
-Protein powder
-Powdered peanut butter
-quick oats
-hemp seeds
-chia seeds
-mct oil

Roughly 750 calories.

You can also add in a Justin's almond butter or similar item for an additional 180-200 calories. Great tasting too!

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Ok, I will definitely look into this further. I've never tried wilderness athlete, mountain ops, or any other outdoor nutritional companies product.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Just did a quick search of the wilderness athlete meal replacement and recovery shake. Pretty much exactly what I had in mind. I think I'm going to get the strawberry and test it out this summer while I'm working in the mountains.

I add a scoop of mass gainer protein powder to my instant oatmeal for breakfast.

Two packs of instant oatmeal and a scoop of bsn true mass adds up to something like 700 calories, depending on your oatmeal. Sometimes I add some powdered milk and raisins too.

I mix it all in a freezer sandwich bag then just add water and smash it around to mix.

sdh1994

FNG
Used the altitude advantage in 2015 before a Colorado elk, got such bad headaches stopped using before the hunt, I still use all other WA products.

Nuke Man

WKR
I had a protein shake for breakfast every morning during my spring bear hunt. It worked out great. I hate cooking in the mornings. I used a scoop of protein powder, half cup quick cook oats and a tablespoon of PB2. Throw it in a blender and pre bag it. I tried some instant coffee in one, one morning too. Definitely going this rout from now on

Nuke Man

WKR
I was going to try the mct oil trick to bump the calories. But some of the reviews / side effects scared me away. Seems it gives some people a serious case of the shits. So try it out before hitting the mountains!

PresTex

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to try the mct oil trick to bump the calories. But some of the reviews / side effects scared me away. Seems it gives some people a serious case of the shits. So try it out before hitting the mountains!

MCT oil can definitely be a risky. You will know when you overdid it. Some are tolerant more than others. If you cant tolerate it or don't want to worry about it use MCT powder instead. Far less sensitive to the gut and you're able to take more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BuckSnort

WKR

Try it at home first, start off with a teaspoon in your coffee and work your way up to two teaspoons...

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Where do you get the powdered peanut butter, any regular grocery store? I've never come across it before.

sbcff15

Lil-Rokslider
Around here, a place called grocery outlet bargain market carries it. I also see it regularly at Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Hey guys thanks for your input. I ended up ordering wilderness athletes 28 day challenge nutrition package. Gonna incorporate it into my meal plan as I work as a fisheries intern in the mountains for the next two months. If it works good the first month, i'll order it for another month and report back on how it worked out. Thanks again. Oh, and I'm gonna try to find some of that dehydrated peanut butter to add to my shakes.