Backcountry breakfast mix

I'm wanting to make some diy Backcountry breakfasts so far I'm basing it with
Oats, dehydrated blueberries and bananas, ground flax seed o chia seed, some whey protein, add some granola and a lil olive oil or butter. What other ingredients wud anyone suggest? Breakfast is usually my biggest meal of the day and hopefully will be able to add a fair amount of fresh trout into the diet.
Also cooking bacon at home from hog we buchared will the cooked bacon keep for 7-10 days not refrigerated?

Bughalli

WKR
I've had bacon in the backcountry, during warm weather, for up to 8 days with no issues. Although I will say I began to wonder just how long it will be before it turns.

As for your breakfast, I might add a little salt if sweating a lot during the day in hot weather. Although if you add bacon you might not needed it. I might also add almonds.

AdamW

WKR
I made something similar last year but just couldn't choke it down in the morning. I just wasn't hungry. Paleo maple granola, dried blue and strawberries, vanilla protein powder. Not bad.

I do something similar with sliced almonds and pecans/walnuts and some cinnamon and honey for breakfast at the house most mornings. I based it off of the paleoomg breakfast granola, but I don't cook it. just hit a bulk foods section of a grocer and see what they have that looks good and tweak this basic recipe:

1 cup sliced almonds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
½ cup pecans, chopped
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup coconut oil (or other oil)
½ cup raw honey
¼ cup maple syrup
1 cup dried cranberries OR blueberries OR raisins OR whateverthehellyouwant
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Tag_Soup

WKR
1/2 cup Bobs red mill muesli, 1/3 cup nestle nido, and some assorted dried fruit (I really like diced dried figs or dates) all go into a ziplock. One for each a.m. Sometimes I'll add a scoop of protein powder as well. I put the bag inside my GSI mug and add water straight to the bag. enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jdmaxwell

WKR
In Ziploc baggie I put granola, deyadrated blueberries, and powdered milk.
Just add water, mix up in baggie and you have decent cereal for breakfast.

OP
K
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I made some the other day I used
1 cup oats
2 cups water
1/4c powder milk
5tbs ground flax
1/2 cup granola
Salt,
1 packet of peanut butter powder
1 packet of honey
2tbs of brown sugar
Dried banana
Protien powder
It was way too much to eat in 1 sitting so I will probably cut it in half.

Gorp2007

WKR
I'm working on some backcountry oatmeal.
1/2 Cup Oatmeal
1/4 Cup Walnuts
1 T Chia Seeds
1 T Coconut Oil
2 T Brown Sugar

To the above I add different mixes to provide variety
Flaked Coconut, Dried Bananas, and Dried Pinapple
Dried Blueberries, Cinnamon, Ginger Powder
Dried Apples, Cinnamon, Nutmeg

I'm making it for me (32) and my dad (58), so I'm experimenting with swapping the coconut oil for protein powder because he doesn't want that much fat in his diet. Has anyone tried using unflavored protein powder? The vanilla stuff I got is "low carb," but it's still almost overpowering. For the blueberry variety with coconut oil instead of protein powder, you're looking at 700-750 calories with about 75g carbs, 42g fat, 13g protein, and 13g fiber. If you drop the coconut oil and add half a scoop of protein powder (GNC whey) you lose 60 calories and 14g of fat while gaining 12g of protein. I'll probably end up cutting at least half of the sugar.

Now I just need to figure out how to make the protein variety taste as good.

Last edited:
Good mixes there. I also use various hemp, pea and rice proteins for unflavored boosts. Also collagen peptides. Good unflavored protein, mixes easier and good for the joints. Also mix hemp hearts and shredded coconut instead of coconut oil for a moderate fat/calorie boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk